Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th October 2011, 10:31 AM   #1
davidtampien

Send a message via Skype™ to davidtampien
Default .com Or .co

I've only recently realized that there is a new domain at .co . I was wondering what might be the pros of cons of using this new one, .co. Any comment?

David Tampien
Moses Lake, WA

davidtampien is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 9th October 2011, 02:09 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

The .co TLD has actually been around awhile. Technically, it's the country code top-level domain (TLD) assigned to the Republic of Colombia. Been around since at least 1991. A few years ago a company called ".CO Internet S.A.S." negotiated the administrative rights to the domain. They opened up registration to businesses and individuals around the world beginning in mid-2010.

Pros of .co: it's one keystroke less than .com. Some companies like Overstock.com (o.co) have used this to create "shortcut" domain names that link to their "regular" main website. Twitter uses the "t.co" domain for its link-shortening service. If you can still get a short domain name related to your business, this might be handy.

Cons of .co: people may accidentally slide right on through and type .com by mistake. While there were over 1 million domains registered with .co as of June 2011, there are still many more .com sites than .co, and people may overlook that the last "m" is missing. Unless you have both the .co and .com versions of your domain, it's possible folks may try to find your site and not get there.

Other than that, though, there's not much I can think of in terms of pros/cons. Anything specific you were concerned about?

--Torka

Old 9th October 2011, 03:24 PM   #3
davidtampien

Send a message via Skype™ to davidtampien
Default Pros and cons

No, No other question. Thank you so much for your comprehensive response. I've just always heard that it's best if you and find a .com for a business site, so was wondering if it still carried over to .co. But as you mentioned people are so familiar with .com that they might just go a head and put .com. You also answered that possibility.

Again, I appreciate your taking the time to answer so completely.

David Tampien
Moses Lake, WA

davidtampien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 06:11 PM   #4
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Cool, and you're welcome! I think if you can get a good .com, that's probably best just because that's what people expect. But if you can get a good, short .co you can market that as a "shortcut" and it will probably work, too. Especially with Overstock spending so much on advertising to promote their "o.co" domain, over time the .co TLD may well become as familiar as .com.

--Torka

Old 9th October 2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Lil Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtampien View Post
I've only recently realized that there is a new domain at .co . I was wondering what might be the pros of cons of using this new one, .co. Any comment?

David Tampien
Moses Lake, WA
Check up on this article if you wish.
http://www.85broads.com/experts/dian...ld-take-notice

Lil Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 12:53 AM   #6
RonnieD

I prefer .com over .co but sometimes its a good idea to snatch up multiple domain names and point them at your favorite. For example if I owned something.com and also bought something.net and something.org, I would be able to redirect them all to something.com. You could do the same if you bought the .co and .com.

RonnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 10:05 AM   #7
ChrissyBiz

Send a message via Skype™ to ChrissyBiz

I like the .co personally
Great question, great responses.

Old 11th October 2011, 01:27 PM   #8
LocalMarketingC

Hi David,

I've had the same question myself. I asked a pretty well know internet marketer, Caro. She told me that using a .co domain is not wise at this time because it is untested with how the search engines treat them.

I was very interested in .co's as well and she strongly recommended against using them for clients.

They'd probably be good to grab a hold of and get the name you want if it isn't available in a .com, .org or .net.

They probably aren't the best for search engine optimization, yet...

LocalMarketingC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 08:14 PM   #9
numeric

.com is more commonly used. But as I've learned through my boss, snatching the important domains would help like .com, .net and.. I forgot the other one.

Old 12th October 2011, 05:18 AM   #10
M.Rebecca

“At least you have an ability within Google Webmaster Tools to say that ok, for my .co, this is actually about this country or that country...Even though it’s a country specific domain, you may do geo-targeting”
This is what Matt Cutts has to say on whether .co is treated as a generic TLD or not...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0sCn...eature=related