Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Direct Mail
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th June 2011, 11:14 AM   #11
BizPaul

I personally think a full color, well designed postcards is the way to go.
Catching the recipient's attention is half the battle.

BizPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th June 2011, 02:35 PM   #12
mainstreetguy

Send a message via Skype™ to mainstreetguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizPaul View Post
I personally think a full color, well designed postcards is the way to go.
Catching the recipient's attention is half the battle.
I second the motion. They can't respond to your offer if they don't see it.

Old 20th June 2011, 02:38 PM   #13
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

I agree... but KEEP THE POSTCARD as a method of getting leads. You can't sell off the card. KEEP THE HEADLINE ON POINT. Make it so that people can not resist to pick up the phone and call. Free trial?? Free sample?? Something that will collect information.

Hope this helps!

BTW... full color is not expensive. Go with the best you can afford!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 08:41 AM   #14
carsys

What are people's thoughts on fold over type postcards? (8"x11" card stock folded in half and held shut with a sticker or something.)

I think this gives the benefits of the postcard, with the ability to give more information.

My company provides several services that I think most people aren't aware of and this seems like a good place to draw attention to them.

Any thoughts?

carsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 04:16 AM   #15
websitedesign

Quote:
What are people's thoughts on fold over type postcards? (8"x11" card stock folded in half and held shut with a sticker or something.)

I think this gives the benefits of the postcard, with the ability to give more information.

My company provides several services that I think most people aren't aware of and this seems like a good place to draw attention to them.

Any thoughts?
People have become such 'skimmers' now that an 8x11 mailing, even folded over, can run the risk of not being read at all.

When I first started out I ordered post cards and business cards that listed nearly every service that we offered just in case the reciever needed anything at all. I didn't want to risk a missed oportunity and was really eager to get the word out.

Once I received my postcards and business cards I realized just how overwhelming that much information was. Now I highlight one or two services and include a link to a listing of all of our services online.

Also, even though many post card printers will have a deal throwing in the second side printed in black for free, I opt to leave it blank and either print it myself so I can customize each message or I handwrite the messages. This methd has worked out much better for us.

websitedesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 09:35 PM   #16
Woodsmith

Send a message via MSN to Woodsmith
Default postage...

I've been sending out postcards, colorful pic on front, some descriptive text and address on back. But, man, Canada Post charges me $1.03 to send one to the States... keeps the number low that I can send out each month! But that's where a large chunk of my customers are coming from...

Woodsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 02:51 AM   #17
ilovemedia

The main cons about flats is the cost of postage and that they tend to get a bit more beat up in the mail (quite frequently getting worn edges and bent/torn/worn out corners. I like using postcards for my business; you just have to find a way to make the unique, interesting, and eye-catching.

Old 14th April 2012, 11:15 AM   #18
jrobconsult

You could mail a larger postcard ( 9 x 12 for example) that qualifies as a flat and use the USPS Every Door Direct Mail" program.

You can pick out the route and send it between 200-5,000 homes with no permit. This is a saturation mailing, but the postage is only 14.5 cents per piece.
This will get noticed in the mailbox with the right offer or offers.

jrobconsult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 04:35 PM   #19
Jake McIntyre

Default Flat vs. Postcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemedia View Post
The main cons about flats is the cost of postage and that they tend to get a bit more beat up in the mail (quite frequently getting worn edges and bent/torn/worn out corners. I like using postcards for my business; you just have to find a way to make the unique, interesting, and eye-catching.
I agree with what a lot of people are saying about the damage that will occur to a flat during the mailing process as well as the additional costs of sending them out.

The key to grabbing people's attention has more to do with the quality of the design and not the size of the mailer. If you take the money that would have gone to paying for the additional postage of a flat and use that to hire an exceptional designer to come up with a postcard design, I'd bet dollars to donuts that you get a better ROI.

Jake McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 09:11 AM   #20
bizmaverick

I think that a flat can be an advantage in terms of having a bigger room for advertising. This means you have all the space for the details and you don't have to let the people visit the website for more information. Some people would find it time consuming to visit the website indicated in a postcard.

The negative thing about a flat is that because it is big, it also requires bigger expenses as what the others have said.

bizmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote