Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Copywriting
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th January 2009, 01:04 PM   #1
bizzy bee

Question Articles Vs Press Releases

Hello,

I already have a press release that I submitted to a few press releases websites about a month ago to present our new website.

I have been told that articles are also a good idea. What would be the main difference(s) between our content in the press release and an article? As well as the difference(s) in the way it is written?

Thank you. Have a good weekend.

bizzy bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th January 2009, 04:37 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Press releases and articles are very different animals.

A press release is news. It needs to be factual. Something newsworthy, something you could imagine being read out loud on a TV or radio news broadcast or printed in a newspaper. A press release is designed to answer the questions "who," "what," "when," "where" and (in some cases) "why."

Articles can be on a wider variety of topics, and are generally more timeless. They're generally designed to educate, inform or entertain. They can be factual, or they can contain speculation or opinion.

Generally, a press release is written in an "inverted pyramid" style. You start with the most important point, the main thing you want people to know about. You follow with the second-most important information and so forth. While there may be exceptions in certain situations, press releases are usually written in a formal tone, following a fairly standard page layout. A press release should always include complete contact information for a press officer or other authorized spokesperson in case a reporter should want to follow up on the story.

Articles don't necessarily have the same formalized structure. While it's often a good idea to place the main idea near the top, its acceptable to lead with an illustrative story, anecdote or other "scene-setting" device. Whether an article will take a serious or more light-hearted tone depends on the purpose and topic of the article, where it's going to be published and what results or reactions it's designed to inspire.

--Torka

Old 11th January 2009, 11:47 PM   #3
tortilla09

Press release is more straight and news-like in form while articles is more free-flowing but still sticking to the facts.

tortilla09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 03:59 PM   #4
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Being an article marketer, when I saw the topic of this thread I got excited and was prepared to put my 2 cents in the pot.

But what Torka said was so accurate and eloquently stated, there's absolutely nothing that I can add without it sounding redundant.

David Jackson

Last edited by David Jackson; 12th January 2009 at 04:08 PM.
David Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 01:19 PM   #5
torka

Awww, shucks, David, I didn't mean to steal your thunder!

I've seen where you've posted some excellent article-writing and marketing tips right here on this very forum.

--Torka

Old 19th January 2009, 02:56 PM   #6
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
Awww, shucks, David, I didn't mean to steal your thunder!

I've seen where you've posted some excellent article-writing and marketing tips right here on this very forum.

--Torka
Right back atcha!

David Jackson

Old 20th January 2009, 11:34 PM   #7
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

In point of fact, the purpose of writing press release is to make an announcement about the latest happenings whereas the purpose of writing an article is to get targeted traffic.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 01:41 AM   #8
torka

The purpose of an article is to educate, entertain or inform. Getting targeted traffic is one effect of having well-written articles that fulfill one or more of those purposes.

In my experience, articles written with a purpose of "getting targeted traffic" usually aren't worth reading. They certainly don't inspire me to explore a site further, much less stick around to buy anything.

My

--Torka

Old 21st January 2009, 07:13 AM   #9
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwebguru View Post
The purpose of writing an article is to get targeted traffic.
The purpose of writing an article is to educate, entertain and inform and in some instances make the reader think.

At least, that's why I write articles.

Targeted traffic becomes a by-product of well-written and interesting articles that teach.

In fact, if your articles don't offer any real educational value to the reader, they're not going to generate much traffic - targeted or otherwise.

David Jackson

Last edited by David Jackson; 21st January 2009 at 07:20 AM.
David Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2009, 07:17 PM   #10
jrobconsult

You should include articles and press releases in order to get traffic to your website. For most people it is best to write their own articles and have someone else write and distrubute their press release. You can find some excellent people to do a press release for $100-$200.

jrobconsult is offline   Reply With Quote