Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd June 2009, 02:53 AM   #11
MarcinR

Torka,

you're right' I will think about it, even if I choose one or two niches, the business called "24 Handyman" will generate ( I hope) many calls from "outside". Thank you for everyone, Its so important to me, to know all yours opinions( these good and bad), hints, advices. BTW how can I post my logo to see what you think.

Thank you
Marcin

MarcinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th June 2009, 10:23 AM   #12
BigChilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbdear View Post
You could build an entire business simply by marketing your services to your local real estate agents. A lot of their clients need to make repairs before putting a house on the market, and repairs are often required by the new buyer or their bank, so these things need to get done quickly. Make up a flier that lists EVERY service you offer, make sure you include clean-up and hauling away junk as one of your services (with all of the foreclosures, cleaning out a house is often required). Have somebody proof read your flyer to make sure it looks and sounds professional.
Actually to build off that, a lot of the bigger real estate companies have a "homes services" person in their offices who handles this exact type of thing (at least in Illinois I know they do.) They maintain a list of vendors for services.

You should get on each one of these lists.

BigChilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 12:48 PM   #13
MarcinR

Default good news

it is a good day for me, as I learned today from my local social welfare office that I can still receive weekly payement for unemployed and run business. this way goverment helps people who wants make change. Im very happy, these money will cover my basic home expenses. Now I need to write proper business plan and let them read it so they can make decision.

Old 12th July 2009, 10:56 AM   #14
jrobconsult

Lots of great answers already. I will add my three cents worth.How are you going to get new clients? One approach is get free or large price reductions for maintenance to get testimonials. Once you get credibility, you can charge your regular price. How are you going to market it besides word of mouth? It can be flyers / brochures, website or placing ads in local media, or face to face with your potential customers.

Personally, I would use all of those methods and think of some gimmick to get free publicity, such as doing free maintenance for non-profits, elderly or some local citizens or businesses that have encountered bad luck. Or if you really wanted to go for it, pick one day as a free maintenance day. Sonic, Ihop, and Denny have gotten plenty of free publicity for their freebies this year.

I just think with a tough economy, you need to think out of the box to be successful. By doing the above, you will be giving away profit in the beginning, but in the long run make you more money. Especially, since you are getting money now from the government.

jrobconsult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 03:48 PM   #15
MarcinR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobconsult View Post
Lots of great answers already. I will add my three cents worth.How are you going to get new clients? One approach is get free or large price reductions for maintenance to get testimonials. Once you get credibility, you can charge your regular price. How are you going to market it besides word of mouth? It can be flyers / brochures, website or placing ads in local media, or face to face with your potential customers.

Personally, I would use all of those methods and think of some gimmick to get free publicity, such as doing free maintenance for non-profits, elderly or some local citizens or businesses that have encountered bad luck. Or if you really wanted to go for it, pick one day as a free maintenance day. Sonic, Ihop, and Denny have gotten plenty of free publicity for their freebies this year.

I just think with a tough economy, you need to think out of the box to be successful. By doing the above, you will be giving away profit in the beginning, but in the long run make you more money. Especially, since you are getting money now from the government.

jrobconsult

many thanks for your advices, personally I think word of mouth is the best way to get new customers in this type of businnes, of course I will set up web site, I will visit potential clients and talk to them, but I do not think that doing repair services for free as a way to gain new customers is a good idea, well, maybe 50% discount on the first job. I'm just to "small" to do the job for free I can't afford it.. THank you anyway, every hint is a good hint.

Marcin

Old 14th July 2009, 05:59 PM   #16
AlemIM

Default Hi

Its important to think out of the box and think who else needs a handyman?

What pops to my mind are proprty management companies. they usualy manage apartmant complex and other big structures. They might have a care taker but theyalways need repairing, quick andsmall painting jobs etc..

I met a handyman in our complex that is doing exactly the same thing. He said that about 60% of his income comes from our complex.

One or two of these will set you up for a while.

check out tradechaser.com or tradechaser.com.au. and see if and how many people are looking for a handyman near you. You can sign up for a free account. Dont pay for it just yet, just check out if thereis work in your area.

Hope it helps

Alem

AlemIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 06:11 PM   #17
MarcinR

Thanks Alem, I'll check this out

Old 19th July 2009, 12:56 AM   #18
Groffeaston

Hello everyone!

One thing to be aware of, Is some States are now requiring handymen, contractors, builders, etc.. to be licensed and bonded.

Before you really get going, definitely check with SCORE. They will help you a lot. Also do not hesitate to ask a lot of questions.

First thing you should do after going to SCORE is develop a Business plan. That is a must!! That will help you if you plan on getting any financial loans from a bank, license from the state, getting Insurance to cover any losses from injuries, damages you may cause, or that an employee may cause, etc...

Second, you want to get together with a lawyer to help draft any contracts, discuss and go over business classifications along with a financial expert. Contact a financial expert to help with a financial plan and with taxes.

The above will be covered when you go to SCORE. Plus a whole lot more!

As for advertising: Word of mouth, posters/fliers, business cards, newspaper, local magazines and other publications, billboards, radio, and TV, I would do a little of all of them. But gradually increase your advertising budget as you get more customers. Some local TV stations and/or cable companies have a billboard channel were you can advertise at a inexpensive rate. The billboard channel is basically a written advertisement like would appear in a newspaper.

If you decide to hire employees, screen them very carefully. That is why it is very important to be bonded and have insurance in case of being sued or something happens on a job. That is also why it is important to have a lawyer on retainer, but can be expensive.

Groffeaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 07:51 PM   #19
TCSTAR

Cool Maintenance Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcinR View Post
Hi,

I 've lost MY dream job a month ago after business went really bad ( Healtcare) I loved that job although it was only 10 months, The job involved driving over all country, visiting different places, do some minor repairs/instalations and meeting, different people, but now its over.
And I hate to be on the dole, I'm just 30 BTW.
Starting a own business was always aroud me, and now I feel I should jump in. I have realised only now after losing this job what type of Business suits me best. I going call the business " Handyman Maintenance and repair services" I know it is not an original idea, but I belive like many people here that you can only acheive real success when you do what you have passion for. When I look closely I'm the guy among my family and friends who is first to fix things, its me who have most tools at home, and Im very easy to talk to strangers so Business will involve things I like. Although I do not see any comepition in my area I know there are some questions need to be answered before. To be honest I do not know where and how to start. How to make sure that idea is profitable an so on. When I resign from dole I wont be able to get this back if business go wrong.
I would appreciate any advices from you regarding my plans.

THANKS
Marcin
Hello Marcin

I have been in maintenance business for myself for 15 years. One thing I can tell you to do first is sit down with yourself. What I mean by this is ask yourself what services you wish to provide. Then what market you wish to provide that service in, Residential or Commercial. Then ask yourself how skilled you are and in what areas. When you start working for other people your work must satisfy a customer not a you. You must be very critical of yourself and keep your work in high standards.
Start off small and work your way up. Don`t try to take on to much to soon, you must learn as you go. After you get a little work under your belt you may want to look into joining a service provider style company, such as ServiceMagic.com they can send you leads that will help get you started. You must be a class A repair person when joining these guys. They only will accecpt the best, you must feel that you are good enough any doubt and don`t even apply.

Good Luck Hope This Help,
Terry

TCSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 05:58 PM   #20
MarcinR

Thank you Terry,

yes, there are many questions to be answered, I will only do jobs that I'm fully confident about and learn new things prudently. I'm still not sure whether provide services for residental or commercial market, I think I'll start both to see where to go. I do not need join any groups of trade people, I want to be independent and here's another question : how to distiguish from competitors ?
do you know any examples of succesfull services provider that are on top over many others because of difference ?

Thanks
Marcin