Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Newsletters and Email Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st March 2011, 04:20 AM   #1
cm85

Default Advice On An Idea

Hi,
I had an idea which I know will have been done before. I am thinking of building an opt in email list of people in my city who are interested in receiving offers, adverts, vouchers, coupons etc by email to be either printed or a code to remember. This would be free to the people who sign up. I would then approach local businesses once I have a sufficient number of subscribers and charge them to send out an advert, voucher, coupon etc promoting their business, basically an electronic form of leaflet distribution but to a list of opt in email addresses. I am just wondering whether to send out individual adverts or a monthly newsletter by email that advertises multiple local businesses with clickable links to their social media and websites or to printable vouchers. Any input and criticism especially in an environment of companies such as Groupon etc would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

cm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st March 2011, 09:00 PM   #2
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

As you already know and pointed out in your post you are up against many national competitors such as Groupon and others. However, I believe you have a chance to succeed by emphasizing your local connections.

Can you include some information and news about the local community along with coupons. How about articles on local economy, businesses and reviews. This is one way you can differentiate your service against nationals and get interests from your readers / customers.

I would stay with monthly / weekly newsletter as opposed to individual emails. You don't want to flood people's mailbox with number daily emails.

Hope this helps.

Harry

AngelBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 01:44 AM   #3
lordspace

you've got to do a detailed research to see which niches are not used by Groupon and LivingSocial.
These companies have lots of resources but can't go after every single client they must have left some micro niche unfulfilled.
Your job is to find it and fill it as quickly as possible.

lordspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 01:59 AM   #4
startupadvisor

Great start! One way to think about this is identifying your business model. How will you get your first 50, 500, 1000 customers in your local niche? Balance that with how much money you want to spend. You can test it out first to feel the waters. Good luck!

startupadvisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:19 AM   #5
cm85

Hi, thanks for all your replies.

In terms of collecting emails I am thinkiing Facebook and other social media advertising a free email packed full of offers and coupons for their city and maybe collecting emails on the street and advertising around local schools and universities. Once I have a sufficient number I can then approach local businesses to advertise.

In terms of the email I see my service directed more to the 18-30's in the city but I am unsure on the content, it cannot be just clickable links that open vouchers I dont think as this would be a bit plain and empty, I'm wondering what else I could include and also how to format it, like an online newletter that is a few pages long. Maybe in sections like food, music etc and areas for advertising local gigs and bands with clickable links to youtube or facebook pages. But this is still lacking readable content in my opinion.

This is the point where I am having most problems in working out the actual content of the magazine, I feel discussing it helps the ideas to evolve so any input would be great.

Many thanks

cm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 07:31 PM   #6
worond

These things looked pretty good. I hope to learn more!

worond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 02:52 PM   #7
viper_one
VIP Contributor

Anything to help local biz's is appreciated, but you might have to work kinda hard on this, I like working my own opt-in with offers(that I have control). Or am I missing the point here.

Old 8th June 2011, 02:07 PM   #8
letsgetstarted

Not sure how far along you are, but maybe for your email you can have a few highlighted specials (which advertisers/business may pay a higher price for) that include photos with links, so it is not just links. Also I would suggest having a website hub where you can direct your readers to for more details on each deal. This will also help you determine your reach and success rate for marketing your concept to advertisers/businesses.

letsgetstarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 09:58 PM   #9
jrobconsult

Like It was mentioned before, you don't want to compete direct against Groupon and Living Social, but they have weaknesses in their business concept also.

If it were me, I would pick a specialized niche and work on building an email list. The one weakness in these Groupon and clone sites, they could do a much better job of helping the small business owner to have a successful sale. For example, I have purchased over 20 Groupons, Living Socials or deal of the day vouchers and zero businesses have tried to get my contact info.

jrobconsult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 11:19 PM   #10
Backstep033

Default Advice On An Idea

The best way of building a list, is of course have a FREE Gift or something to give away.

This may or may not work for you but came to mind as I was reading this.

You might contact a local company and see if you can get and EXCLUSIVE offer to put forth. Such as, contact a local Automovtive Service and as see if he would be willing to offer half off an oil change for your members only.
This would entice people to sign up to your list, he would get the extra business, and you could be to GO TO Guy for this business to offer his coupons.

As a local business here has done, and I thought it was brilliant, he picked a local family that had a serious family illness. The medical bills were really piling up. A local tire shop offered that during a certain month, ten dollars on each oil change would be donated to this family. He set a goal of $1000. He advertised it all over town and on Facebook. He ended up donating $1500 to the family. He didn't have to give up much from the original price but the value he gained by being thought of as a business that supports the local community is priceless. He will probably make that donation several times over by how people percieve his business.

Just an idea and some food for thought

Hope it helps just a little bit

Backstep033 is offline   Reply With Quote