Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Print Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd March 2005, 12:30 AM   #1
nathanamthor

Default Register Tape Network

Hello, new guy here

I have an on-site PC service/repair/training business. I've been doing alot of flyer and some newpaper advertizing, as well as foot canvassing small businesses (no residences, yet!). I've recently come across an opportunity to print coupons for my service (free 30 minute consultation) on the back of cash register receipts at a local store. It will be one of only four coupons on the slip and will have a distribution of 300,000. Anyone ever done/heard about this?

Thanks,

Nathan

nathanamthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 3rd March 2005, 10:45 AM   #2
polarmate

and welcome!!

I haven't done it but I wish you all the best!!!

I must admit that I usually never look at what there is on the back of my grocery store and other receipts. I used to but now I don't because I have never found anything useful - for me, that is - on there. However, I do know a LOT of people who look at the ads and it's a great way to get the word out in your local community.

Make sure you have testimonials ready from previous customers and especially, return customers. If you have a web site, spiff it up a bit and include that on your coupon so that potential customers can look you up. Include an affable picture of yourself on the site because it will raise the comfort level as people will know what you look like. It makes a difference if they are going to let you into their homes or home offices.

Also consider placing an ad in the local Pennysaver, or flyers at the entrance/exit of grocery stores, and sign up at the local Chamber of Commerce as it is a good source of leads.

and best wishes to you. Let us know how it goes so that others can also benefit from your experience.

Old 12th March 2006, 08:10 PM   #3
Ravedesigns

Hey Nathan,

Maybe it's just me, but I never seem to pay any attention to those register type coupons. Like most things it may be worth trying to see what response you get, but keep good records to see how effective it is for you.

Just a thought - but the one thing I'd do if I were in your shoes would be to try to write a weekly or monthly column in a local paper of some sort. Most papers need good content like this, and if you can write some educational articles that would benefit their readers it won't be long before you become the local "PC expert" in your town and people would be seeking you out for a change!

Cheers,

Steve

Old 29th July 2006, 11:47 AM   #4
BeMore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanamthor
Hello, new guy here

I have an on-site PC service/repair/training business. I've been doing alot of flyer and some newpaper advertizing, as well as foot canvassing small businesses (no residences, yet!). I've recently come across an opportunity to print coupons for my service (free 30 minute consultation) on the back of cash register receipts at a local store. It will be one of only four coupons on the slip and will have a distribution of 300,000. Anyone ever done/heard about this?

Thanks,

Nathan
Hi Nathan I looked into your query and what I found out amazed me this program seems to be the best print media for demographics I have ever seen. The average grocery store has between 15,000 - 25,000 shoppers per week with a distribution of 300,000 even if 60% of people didn't look at the back of their receipts that leaves 40% lets say you get 1% of those redeeming your coupon that is a possibility of 150 - 250 potential customers per week at very conservative estimates.

The things you did not mention is;

1. How long does the program last?

2. What is the cost?

It would seem to me the longer the program ran the better it would be, with a distribution of 300,000 you would completely hammer the demographic area of your choice. Traditional print media such as community paper and direct mail would cost up-wards of $15,000.00 to do the same so depending on the cost for this program, it sounds good to me.

BeMore.....

BeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2006, 08:59 AM   #5
Lisa Fuller

Nathan,

Did you get a cost for placing the ad on the grocery store receipt? What company does this?

Lisa Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 12:40 AM   #6
jvhancock

Exclamation Register Tape Network - Beware

I signed up for an Ad with them for 6 months that should have cost us $2800. I specified a very paticular ad. The did not provide a proof. 3 months after they started printing the wrong ad (Even put the wrong name of the company on the ad), I recieved the first ad returned. I noticed they were printing the ad wrong and contacted them. They would not change the ad. They continued to print and sent us to collections. I informed the person that they printed the wrong ad, even printed the wrong company on the ad. I own two companies. "Subzero Ice Cream" and "New York Burrito". I signed the contact to advertize Sub Zero and they printed an ad for NYB. They are still trying to collect. It is now May 7th and they are threating Court. The contact specifies any disputes be in Court in Houston TX. So I guess I'm going to TX. Stay away from this company!!!. Thier ads don't get a responce either. I've used other products they print like "Movie News" and recieved zero responce. Don't waste your money. Run Very FAST!!!

jvhancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 12:15 PM   #7
Steve Slaton

JV,

I think you have Register Tape Network, the company I work for confused with Register Tapes Unlimited. We are NOT the same company and are NOT affiliated with each other.

RTN is based in Valencia, CA not Houston, Texas, However Register Tapes Unlimited is based in Houston.

I have been with RTN for 15 years. We take care of our customers. I ask everyone to not think poorly of register tape advertising because of JV's experience with a different company.

It would be the same as me saying I ate a burrito at chipotle and got sick, so New York Burritos must be bad too.

Please don't put Register Tape Network and Register Tapes Unlimited in the same category. Sure we sell a similar product, but with any company, its the PEOPLE that run the company tha make the difference.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvhancock View Post

I signed up for an Ad with them for 6 months that should have cost us $2800. I specified a very paticular ad. The did not provide a proof. 3 months after they started printing the wrong ad (Even put the wrong name of the company on the ad), I recieved the first ad returned. I noticed they were printing the ad wrong and contacted them. They would not change the ad. They continued to print and sent us to collections. I informed the person that they printed the wrong ad, even printed the wrong company on the ad. I own two companies. "Subzero Ice Cream" and "New York Burrito". I signed the contact to advertize Sub Zero and they printed an ad for NYB. They are still trying to collect. It is now May 7th and they are threating Court. The contact specifies any disputes be in Court in Houston TX. So I guess I'm going to TX. Stay away from this company!!!. Thier ads don't get a responce either. I've used other products they print like "Movie News" and recieved zero responce. Don't waste your money. Run Very FAST!!!

Steve Slaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 11:42 AM   #8
Logan
Administrator

Welcome aboard

Quote:
I ask everyone to not think poorly of register tape advertising because of JV's experience with a different company. It would be the same as me saying I ate a burrito at chipotle and got sick, so New York Burritos must be bad too.
Its a good point and even something to consider outside the company in question. Many times I have talked to people about a particular marketing tactic and they've provided a quick response along the lines "I knew someone who tried that and it didn't work". While the company providing the advertising can have an impact - there are factors also related to the campaign, offer, target market and the actual advertisement presented.

Steve, if you have a chance I'd like to hear from you what works well and where some of the common pitfalls are.

Hope to see you around more!!

Old 18th June 2007, 02:58 PM   #9
GreatLakesMedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanamthor View Post
Hello, new guy here

Thanks,

Nathan
Hi Nathan,

I have represented for Register Tape Network about 8 years. What you are describing does not happen in this company. We provide 300,000 4-color coupons over each 6 months at a fair rate. My renewal rate is around 90%.
This represents that the advertiser agrees that they are receiving a fair value with enough coupon being redeemed to warrant renewing. Many of my customers have been advertising through me on the register tape since i began representing Register Tape Network. We have hundreds of testimonials to that fact. Our customers are treated fairly with dignity and respect. The best part is that register tape advertisers are iincreasing their business by using this type of advertising. If you or anyone has any questions about Register Tape Network, you are encouraged to e-mail me at [email protected] to the attention of Jc - Great Lakes Media.
Your questions will be answered honestly & directly. And you can request a local RTN representative will contact you. Any Illinois advertisers are can contact for a personal presentation.

Thank you for your interest in register tape advertising, Jc

GreatLakesMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 03:38 PM   #10
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

Just want to say best of luck to you.