Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Newsletters and Email Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th September 2007, 02:42 PM   #1
ASpaventa

Cool Is It Bad To Reuse Website Content For Our Newsletter??

I recently convinced my boss and the President of our company to fan out in our internet marketing and dive into social media. One facet of this is generating a newsletter.

When discussing the specifics later, my President asked if there would be any harm writing good content and then using it for both the newsletter, our website, and distribution across the internet. I'm not totally into whoring out all our content across all three methods, but I didn't see anything wrong with reusing some things from the newsletter.

Am I way off base here?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th September 2007, 03:02 PM   #2
jrobconsult

I would probably put a different spin or rewrite it a little bit, so it is not an exact copy. I take stuff from my web site or book put a different spin and it is in my newsletter or blog. Good luck Andrea.

Old 25th September 2007, 03:14 PM   #3
ASpaventa

But is there anything wrong/dangerous about reusing the exact same content?

...man, we're coming off lazy here, haha.

Old 25th September 2007, 05:40 PM   #4
Soapin'Angela

Why not put the content in your newsletter first, and then add it to the website after your subscribers have had a chance to benefit from it? That way your subscribers will feel special for getting exclusive content before it's available for everyone else.

One issue with putting the content on your site and then distributing it throughout the net would be duplicate content. As mentioned already, I would reword it a bit so that it's not exactly the same as what's on your website.

Old 26th September 2007, 03:18 AM   #5
Crimson Fox

Many people including the good folks at this forum, give you a snippet of an article or just the title with the option on reading the entire thing on the website itself.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the method and I'd assume it does quite well at driving traffic to the site.

While what Angela is saying about the duplicate content on the web is true. Content in your email box doesn't count the same way.

Crimson Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 12:55 PM   #6
Wilks_eye
VIP Contributor

I think Angela has given the perfect solution to your problem.
Maybe you can do this: When distributing your content, add a notice in brackets along the lines of "This article has appeared in ...." citing your newsletter. I think it gives it more credentials as having been published somewhere, even if it is your own newsletter. Promotes your newsletter too.

Or you may want to shorten the content (if its to long its probably a good idea to shorten it for Internet use) and add something like "A lengthier, more extensive version of this article can be found in...." then give a link of where the full article is archived, which would be in your company website.

Wilks_eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 09:02 PM   #7
TheFiend

Default Completley Agree !

I couldn't agree more with this discussion - we regularly tease shows in our newsletter and have almost identical copy as the first paragraph on the website - I find that it makes people comfortable that it is exactly what they thought they were going to read, then go off into a full blown description.

Old 27th September 2007, 02:41 AM   #8
David Tandet

Default Specific Advice

Thumbs up to Angela's response.
You've also got something major in your favor that will keep your information from seeming rehashed.
You provide tax advice. The people that really need that advice are going to want to make sure they know exactly how it applies to them.
The more people are reminded how you can address their personal needs, the more likely they are to show up at your offices.

Old 29th November 2007, 10:55 PM   #9
LCGoldman

I would be very careful about not only copying text verbatim, but even crediting the original source without first obtaining permission to do so.

LCGoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 01:54 PM   #10
whitenoise

IMHO I would reword it to say, 60% minimum - for article, ezine & other subs too. In terms of duplicate content, I've been advised that is meant for content within the same domain.

whitenoise is offline   Reply With Quote