Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th February 2005, 01:02 PM   #1
! !

Lightbulb It IS SO-O much better not to depend on One SE for Survival

Just one year ago - A Google ranking could make or break you - whether if was your fault or not

Google, Yahoo, AOL (MSN has the Looksmart Listing BEFORE the SERPs - so there was no real SERPs)

Now in just a year - Yahoo MSN (dropping LookSmart) Google - as seperate SEs...

you can now breathe freely if Google drops you - or goes into it's hibernation period, there ARE alternatives to help you survive...

of course, there is MORE SEO work to be done - but in the end you are not forced to throw all your eggs in one basket!

What a difference a Year Makes!

! ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 11th February 2005, 01:42 PM   #2
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Actually that is wrong. There has always been more than one search engine. lat year at this time there was Yahoo not to mention Ask Jeeves/Teoma and Looksmart/Wisenut. The Inktomi search index was also around providing results to MSN and a variety of other search sites.

Anyone who was marketing only for Google was nothing less than short-sighted in their approach.

You also seem to be a bit confused on the search engines and their relationships to one another. This is how it currently stands.

There are 5 major crawlers - Google, Yahoo, MSN, Teoma & Wisenut. These all actively crawl the web and provide search results on their own sites as well as to partners.

As to the major search services, Google provides results to AOL, Go.com, IWon & Netscape. Yahoo provides search results for All The Web, Alta Vista & Overture's editorial results.

MSN just launched their own search index but formerly used Inktomi.

Teoma provides search results for Ask Jeeves.

Wisenut provides search results for Looksmart's editorial results.

Finally I beg to differ with you on your statement about more SEO work needing to be done. A good SEO/SEM markets a site with all search engines in mind. This combines good on the page optimization strategy and off the page link building. It is not more difficult now than it was before unless of course you were one to just simply build links and neglect the on page factors of SEO.

Old 11th February 2005, 04:30 PM   #3
Old Welsh Guy

Added> & Google provides the ppc for ask jeeves.

I agree with David, when I work on a site, the ONLY search engine I treat differently is Google, in that I get backlinks that at any other given day I would never entertain getting.

Old 12th February 2005, 02:30 PM   #4
hscpub

Default The Big 3

David,

Excellent response.

With due respect to AOL and Amazon's A9, It's interesting to see the increasing upping of the ante in a true "search wars" that now seems to be building, and with search still new in its overall development, could go on for some time, between Google, Yahoo! and MSN.

While things are somewhat fluid due to the amount of new products and developments emerging in search (not to mention current $150 Million Microsoft ad cash infusion for new MSN) such as local search, desktop search, mapping and many more, my question is whether each company will seek to compete in all major areas or somewhat segment. Yahoo! has positioned itself as an eportal of content, and I love what they did with the My Yahoo inclusion of 150,000 or 200,000 I believe RSS feeds. I read now that Yahoo! is going Hollywood after a significant hire in that area, in terms of producing online content if not becoming a studio. Google wants to publish (index) the entire world it seems like (rumors also of a Gbrowser - maybe Firefox) and Microsoft of course possesses the resources to compete in any desired area (think Xbox, Netscape dethrowned, CRM, etc.).

I am very interested in others thoughts in this area. Feel free to also email me in addition to post if interested. Thank you so much.

Alex Hammer, CEO
HSC Media

hscpub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 06:12 AM   #5
mairajassy

Well that might be true ...

mairajassy is offline   Reply With Quote