Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th February 2013, 04:48 PM   #1
Yardstick Golf

Default Ideas To Improve Website Conversion

I'm looking for ideas on how to reduce my bounce rate, get visitors to stay on my site longer and do a better job with conversion. I've created a few downloadable freebies to build a subscriber list, but am not getting much take up on blog commentary or on purchases from my website - would love ideas to improve what I am doing. My site

Yardstick Golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th February 2013, 11:39 AM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

If you want an actual review of your site, you'd probably get more responses by posting a request in the forum site review section.

Conversion optimization is a complex topic. It's simple on the surface, but tricky to implement. It depends on having a good product to start with, and a strong offer. You need prominent calls to action, compelling copy and a user-friendly site architecture and navigation.

But in the end, there are no hard-and-fast rules. What works great for one site, with one product, targeting one audience will fail miserably for another site, another product and another audience.

In general terms, there are a number of oneline resources that can help you improve your conversion rate. For instance, check some of the research at MarketingExperiments.com and some of the free articles at FutureNow's GrokDotCom blog and Psychotactics.

You will also want to check in to testing tools such as CrazyEgg and Google Content Experiments (available under the "Content" tab in Google Analytics). Many times, the only way to determine which content optimization tactics are working for YOUR site and YOUR audience is to test them. (And often times it turns out the option you thought would NEVER work, the one you put in there almost as a joke, turns out to be the best-performing. It always pays to test.)

Hope this helps!

--Torka

Old 21st February 2013, 07:31 PM   #3
jgbreeden

I'm guessing that you are getting a lot of people looking to play golf, not open a golf business. Might be difficult to filter those out.

Take a look at your analytics (you have google analytics installed, right?) and see what keywords are generating traffic. Maybe there is one or two that indicate a business approach, and you can focus on those.

jgbreeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:49 AM   #4
semaphore.v
VIP Contributor

Default re:

Torka marketingexperiments site is really good, I have just receive fist free subscription.

semaphore.v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 01:01 AM   #5
zharlene

• A great way to ensuring a lower percentage bounce rate is to market your website to targeted visitors. Change your current strategy. If you are promoting your website on general-niche websites, focus on promoting your site on golf-niche communities/sites.
  • It also helps if you improve on referral and direct traffic (as opposed to organic traffic). That way, you know that the visitors landing on your site intentionally did so.
  • Try improving on internal SEO so that your site comes up on relevant keyword searches.
  • Ask website communities for their feedback on your website's design. Ask them if they feel it is user-friendly or if they understand what it's about as soon as they visit the page. They might also be able to suggest ways you could improve.

zharlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 02:13 AM   #6
mmorpgs

Great, and very very important question and topic you've identified. Others in this thread have some great points, especially on call to action and content.

If you imagine the website in an "F" layout (if your audience reads from left to right), chances are the users will read the top left first, and then top right.

You can also use hot/cold colors to draw the eye. For example, a red button on a white/blue themed page.

Another thing is having a live chat feature that has people online 24/7. People are more confident to purchase something if the chat is present and they don't even use it from my experience.

Heatmaps. It's an easy to add feature where you can visually see where users are looking/clicking

A/B testing: Create 2+ pages to test which one(s) convert more. You may have to use 302 redirects for A/B testing though.

Just some ideas off the top of my head, hope that helps

mmorpgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 04:36 AM   #7
Jessicacis

Bounce rate usually increases when your landing page is not good or you have a website of one page. Increasing Bounce rate is not that much bad for your website if your conversion is achieved.

Jessicacis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 09:52 AM   #8
semaphore.v
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicacis View Post
Bounce rate usually increases when your landing page is not good or you have a website of one page. Increasing Bounce rate is not that much bad for your website if your conversion is achieved.
True Jessica..
but a/b testing activities is not only for eCommerce site you can use for normal site as well

Old 10th October 2013, 04:11 AM   #9
Web for Finance

Conversion rate for a website is very important, for this is measures the number of potential customers that actually finish the transaction and buy your product or service. First and the most important is to know your USP or the Unique Selling Point. This is what sets you apart from your competition. Make sure your site includes all the important information as well as the accessibility. Most people are still cautious when buying so it's important to give them reasons to trust you.

Web for Finance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 01:34 PM   #10
PatprecisionE
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick Golf View Post
I'm looking for ideas on how to reduce my bounce rate, get visitors to stay on my site longer and do a better job with conversion. I've created a few downloadable freebies to build a subscriber list, but am not getting much take up on blog commentary or on purchases from my website - would love ideas to improve what I am doing. My site
I've been drilling down in to analytics to see which keywords convert best. This might not work for you if you don't have a ton of conversion data, but if you can know which keyword the people who are most likely to convert are using, you can then optimize your landing page accordingly.

PatprecisionE is offline   Reply With Quote