Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > General Offline Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th December 2009, 06:58 PM   #1
alreadythere

Default Is This A Good Opening Statement For A Sales Call?

I would appreciate any constructive criticism all are willing to give regarding my opening statement

Hi, I was wondering if you would be able to help me. My name is (so and so) and I work with Bellevue Coach. It is simply the best way to get to and from the airport, we are there whenever you call us and we also make an effort to give back charitably. Could you tell me, do the people in your office do any business travel?

I have some good follow-up questions, I try to qualify and then set an appointment. Any thoughts?
Thanks

http://bellevuecoach.com

alreadythere is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 8th December 2009, 12:52 AM   #2
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Hi AlreadyThere!

The first thing that I saw (heard) was that YOU were looking for help. So? What if I am not interested in helping you? (Sorry.. not trying to be tuff, but you asked for it!)

Remember, you're hitting a business that's trying to make money (even in these times, and it may be trying to stay afloat!) What if your call was changed to 'help them?'

Do you have a 'tag line'? You know, the typical elevator speach. "I am from Bellevue coach where you're always get courteous prompt transportation service and sparkling clean cars" Now that was a 1/2 minute effort, but do you see the difference?

The other issue I would try to get is to find out where the 'pain' of your prospect is?? By that, what is the biggest problem they have with transport services? Not being in the business, I am not even going to take a stab at it. But (as an example) if I suffer from back pain and you call me and tell me you have an effective solution for back pain, then I am going to listen.

Also, have you thought about building an e-mail list? Seeing that you're promoting to business people and they ALWAYS read their e-mail, it would be a great way for you to stay in touch and keep your name in front of them. Add a loyalty program of sorts... or a prepaid discount... and it could be a real winner.

Remember, the BEST way to attract new business is to give them something for nothing. EVERYBODY wants to get something for nothing. I know it hurts sometimes, but what about a 'Gold Coach Service'. Some added service that includes the current newspaper and possibly some sort of free refreshment when you pick the client up?? Just thinking... I could come up with 40 ways.. but I gotta run.

If you need more help.. give me a shout.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 04:05 PM   #3
alreadythere

This is great. If I'm trying to win at cold calling I have to be different. One of the things I remember from selling cars is that you're not supposed to "drop your drawers" to get the deal. But I have less than 3 seconds to truly start winning someone over and let them know that I'm not about the same old sales call. I guess my trouble is figuring out if I want to dominate the first 15-20 (or so) seconds of the call by giving my spiel, or finding out just how much of a qualified prospect they are. Does that make sense? (See how much innate sales ability I have, that's a sales question right there)

Maybe by asking if they have a need for ultra-reliable, speedy, comfortable transportation for their business travelers? Or do I go right for an introductory offer, when the receptionist says, "XYZ company, how can I help you?" I can counter with "I was actually calling to see if I could help your company by saving you 15% on all of your to-and-from-the-airport needs" and then I tell them my pitch about why we're the best choice. I've talked to a number of businesses that don't have that great of a need for my service. Am I just blowing hot air telling them that I can save them 15%?

I'm just trying to kind of free-form think of some stuff here. And stay structured so that it's not scripted but the same kind of call every time. How much do I really need to set an appointment? Wouldn't it be better to find out if maybe they had some upcoming travel and if I could schedule that trip for them at a discounted rate. How's this for an open, "I was wondering if anyone in your office could use a free ride to the airport?"

Thanks for the help

alreadythere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 08:54 PM   #4
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Your service could be a little more difficult than most.

I wouldn't go into the 'pitch' or offer until I know I am talking to the right person. After all, marketing is all about finding your target audience.

The other issue is that (after thinking about it for a while) I know that when I travel (and it's not a lot... but still) I would like to know 'who to call'. But if you called me offering a discount... I would probably tell you pretty much the same. 'I don't travel enough to worry about it'.

So what do you do?? You need a way to impress all the 'once in a while' travelers.

I am not so sure I would use the line about a free ride to the airport. Sounds like a scam.

Do you do any mail?? Well, maybe not mail, but do you do any printing?? I am thinking something along the lines of a post card. Would you consider a post card with a really nice limo on it... something that people would look at... and right on the front (the side with the pic that they will look at) include a calendar and your phone number with a tag line.

I think this is one of those types of services that everybody wants/needs/uses.. but nobody does it enough to want to take your time.

A postcard that you distrbute. Maybe try putting something like that together with a price list or 'About Us' sheet and when calling, ask if you can send them your package. Follow up with them in a couple of weeks and see if there's any better response. I am just thinking that I would rather connect with 10 good accounts than 100 that may forget me 20 seconds after the call.

Make and sense?? This one is a little more difficult than the others.. but I know if you think outside the box.. do something that NOBODY Else in your industry does... and people will remember.

Old 9th December 2009, 09:14 PM   #5
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

I just thought about something... (because I never let a marketing problem beat me).

Have you tried to partner with travel agents and/or tour people. Something where you can provide printed coupons for limo service. Coupons would have to be printed (stamped) with the dealer's name or number. When you collect the coupon, you 'spiff' the travel person who supplied the coupon.

The person taking the trip gets a 'deal' of sorts - at least some sort of bonus for using your service. The agent is encouraged to give it out.. because they get a couple of bucks back... and you pick up all the business.

Do you pick up people RETURNING from trips?? If so, you need to leave them with info or a package. (Not when they're leaving... only when returning)

That's why I like postcards. They work as a BIG business card and you can get a lot more on them.

Just some thinking out loud.

Old 12th December 2009, 01:21 AM   #6
Phineas3

I believe Customer service is very important to get the success in sort of business in this way many companies are hiring a call center or an answering service firm is to hold on to customers and jump start the sales process.What do you say...?

Phineas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 11:23 PM   #7
Nathan keane

To make a good opening statement you need to be aware of the business the customer is in and the position he holds in the company. Sales call should start with natural conversation and sales person should politely ask the customer whether it is right time to call the customer and if not seek an appointment.

Nathan keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 01:12 AM   #8
victorvera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan keane View Post
To make a good opening statement you need to be aware of the business the customer is in and the position he holds in the company. Sales call should start with natural conversation and sales person should politely ask the customer whether it is right time to call the customer and if not seek an appointment.
That's a good point Nathan. Sales people should already know their customer's background and the nature of their customer's business is. This would give the sales person a leverage on how he/she can handle the call. I agree also when you said that conversations should start naturally and sales person should ask the customer for his/her time.

victorvera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 01:12 AM   #9
Lou

“Good morning, my name is XXX XXXXXX and I’m with -----------. We are ------------ and I’m interested in competing for the -------- business with your company. Who would be the person I need to speak with?” I wouldn’t offer any other information, unless asked, until I connect with their decision maker.

Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 01:19 PM   #10
AudioDude

I'm pretty used to cold calling, although generally I was asking for information and not making a sale, in some ways it's the same idea.

I found I had some success with this approach.

1. Introduce self "Hi, I'm John Doe calling from XYZ Corp., how are you today?"

2. Say why you are calling and what you're up to "I'm calling to talk about XYZ, we are a company that does ABC in DEF area"

3. Ask if you can give your pitch (since usually they'll have nothing to say at this point) "Let me explain why I'm calling today" (make this short, no more than 10-15 seconds, get right to the value prop)

4. At this point either they will ask for more info, say they're not interested, or pass you along to someone else, at which point you start back at #1

This procedure seemed to work well when I was looking for favors during consulting research, if adapted it could help with sales I suppose.

AudioDude is offline   Reply With Quote