Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10th January 2012, 05:31 AM   #1
trnz
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 44
Default Free Sites V Paid?

I have read horror stories about free blogs that have been closed down. The blogger has then lost his blog completely. I am with wordpress.com which is free. If I change to wordpress.org can I avoid this problem? :-)

__________________
Make the world a better place! Spread some Love, Peace and Happiness! Join The Happy People!
trnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 11th January 2012, 11:29 PM   #2
daveb1
VIP Contributor
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 185
Default

Hi trnz,

If you are serious about blogging or creating a website you will want to purchase your own domain and host your own blog pages. There are lots of templates to choose from on the web and they are pretty easy to install for the most part. The key will be registering your domain name, finding hosting and posting a functioning blog.

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 10:45 AM   #3
mohamednegm
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 43
Default

those blogs your speaking of have been blogged because they did not follow the free blogs policy which does not give the user all the permissions to post whatever he wants, so it's same .org .com it's always about the policy

mohamednegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 11:01 AM   #4
torka
Moderator
 
torka's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)
Posts: 4,101

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Default

Unline Wordpress.com, Blogger or other "free" blogging platforms, Wordpress.org doesn't host websites, so there are no usage policies to worry about. From Wordpress.com you simply download the Wordpress software along with various themes and plugins for installation on your own domain.

Many hosting companies now offer automatic installation of Wordpress through their account control panels, so you don't actually have to download anything from Wordpress.org. Some hosting companies also offer similar "1-click installs" of other blogging and content management systems so you're not limited to using Wordpress.

As daveb1 said, the important part is to host the blog on a domain you own/control. Take regular database backups (in Wordpress, there are plugins that will automate this process for you) and you will be assured of being able to restore all your content in the event anything happens to your blog or the hosting company.

--Torka

__________________
Diane Aull - NineYards.com: Helping Businesses Do Business Online
Whether you think you can, or that you can't, you are usually right.
torka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 06:11 PM   #5
NormanAvila
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 16
Default

My simplest suggestion would also be hosting your own website/blog. There are a number of reasons:
- you are in control of everything
- if you have unique visitors constantly, you can get paid ads on your site ===>>> steady income while doing almost nothing
- you are the one who will shut the site down, no 3rd party "surprises"

__________________
Entrepreneurs' Advice Bureau
NormanAvila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 01:22 AM   #6
fraudbuster
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnz View Post
I have read horror stories about free blogs that have been closed down. The blogger has then lost his blog completely. I am with wordpress.com which is free. If I change to wordpress.org can I avoid this problem? :-)
Correct,
I have also seen so many free blog hosting sites shutting down and leaving the users in horror situations. Therefore it is always wise to install wordpress blog on your own domain.

fraudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 06:05 PM   #7
waynemorrise
VIP Contributor
 
waynemorrise's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles, California.
Posts: 323

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
Unline Wordpress.com, Blogger or other "free" blogging platforms, Wordpress.org doesn't host websites, so there are no usage policies to worry about. From Wordpress.com you simply download the Wordpress software along with various themes and plugins for installation on your own domain.

Many hosting companies now offer automatic installation of Wordpress through their account control panels, so you don't actually have to download anything from Wordpress.org. Some hosting companies also offer similar "1-click installs" of other blogging and content management systems so you're not limited to using Wordpress.

As daveb1 said, the important part is to host the blog on a domain you own/control. Take regular database backups (in Wordpress, there are plugins that will automate this process for you) and you will be assured of being able to restore all your content in the event anything happens to your blog or the hosting company.

--Torka

Very well said by Torka.

__________________
Like us on Facebook
Los Angeles Injury Attorneys
waynemorrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 04:29 AM   #8
Steven Edward
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: US
Posts: 9
Default

I've been using Blogger for the last couple of years and never faced any such problem. They only shut down your blog, if you start posting duplicate content or spam to your blog.

Steven Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 10:45 AM   #9
mohamednegm
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Edward View Post
I've been using Blogger for the last couple of years and never faced any such problem. They only shut down your blog, if you start posting duplicate content or spam to your blog.
when your traffic starts to rise up the blog will go really slow.

mohamednegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 11:15 PM   #10
digitcamera
Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 15
Default

I think it is best to buy your own domain name and start a blog there, instead of relying on free blogging websites. Domain names can be purchased relatively cheaply, and you would have full control over everything.

digitcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   

Bookmarks


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free Or Paid Press Releases And How Many Times? bizzy bee General Online Marketing Information 6 10th December 2008 02:19 PM
Free Business Advertising (3 Sites) cpj3898 Free Links 0 28th June 2008 03:13 PM
New Article - Can You Trust A Blogger's Advice? thejenn Blogs and Blogging 11 22nd March 2007 12:44 PM
Free Context Ad Network Logan Free Links 1 22nd January 2007 04:58 PM
Sites For Free Online Advertising - Help Me Help You willscott General Search Engine Marketing Information 7 25th October 2006 10:16 AM



Thread Tools

Get Updates
RSS Feeds:
RSS Feed for Blogs and Blogging RSS for this Category Only: Blogs and Blogging

RSS Feed for Small Business Ideas Forum RSS for Entire Forum
Forum Rules


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Small Business Ideas Forum


 
At Your Business - Small Business Directory
Free Business Forms - Prewritten Documents
 
Search Engine Guide
Small business guide to search marketing

 
Small Business Brief
Fetching the Best Small Business Info


Free Links - Free Advertising
Free Guide - Online Directory



Advertise your business here
Contact us for more details!


Semantic Juice
Register now to access free Quick SEO service!


Rocket Lawyer
Sign up for free 7 day trial. Boost your biz!


Buy UPC Codes
Get your products listed online!




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018 - Privacy