Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th October 2012, 03:39 PM   #1
viper_one
VIP Contributor

Default Question About My Content....

Hello, I am starting a blog simply called, "Startup." My goal is to help people with either an existing small, or startup business. My question is: how do I know whether my articles posted on the blog are any good? That I am writing about "hot" topics?

Also, how good is the grammar checker found in Microsoft word application?

Any suggestions? thanks.

Last edited by viper_one; 25th October 2012 at 10:21 AM.
viper_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th October 2012, 12:27 PM   #2
cobase

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_one View Post
Hello, I am starting a blog simply called, "Startup."
I think that's a great goal, but you might want to re-think the name and make it a little more personalized. If the blog is just called "Startup" it isn't going to stand out in people's minds. Think Techcrunch, GigaOm, etc. -- try to create some branding that makes people remember you so that they'll come back.

Cobase | Make Your Business Better
cobase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 02:11 PM   #3
viper_one
VIP Contributor

Sure, I will give that a try. But, I thought maybe "StartUp" was transparent and that readers would be motivated by the sites content to come back and read again. Now I won't be able to sleep until I've found the right name for my blog.

Could we address the other questions, I've posted, until I am satisfied with a name?

Here is a list of the top 100 business blogs and there names(FYI):
http://www.invesp.com/blog-rank/Small_Business

Last edited by viper_one; 25th October 2012 at 03:03 PM.
viper_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 03:33 AM   #4
Matt121

You'll know if your content is "hot" if you get organic traffic and get a discussion going.

If your blog posts are able to start a string of comments that soon bleeds into a discussion, then your topic is without a doubt hot.

I find that having an active reader-base is how you'll know if your blog is working..

Old 31st October 2012, 12:45 PM   #5
viper_one
VIP Contributor

I've done a Blogger blog before and it was lots of fun! But, I had no way of knowing it wouldn't accept any comments whether it was "hot."

I wrote articles around what popped-up in my head. But this time I should really predetermine what I am writing about, and it has to be more than random ideas. I believe.

Thanks for your input.

Old 5th November 2012, 03:53 AM   #6
Matt121

A blog should have a focus. Random ideas are, how do I say it... not really helpful when they fly around in all directions. If your blog is about starting up, then your ideas should really focus on that one topic.

Once you have your topic, then you can come up with different ideas on how to deal with your topic.

1. My blog is about...? - Ask yourself.
2. In what ways can I perform the "focus" of my blog? - Here comes the part in which you wrack your brain

Old 5th November 2012, 10:49 PM   #7
Bo_Manry

You can look on Google Trends for hot trending topics surrounding your specific topic of the blog. That should give you an idea of what is being searched for recently.

Bo_Manry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 03:03 PM   #8
Toshiba

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_one View Post
Hello, I am starting a blog simply called, "Startup." My goal is to help people with either an existing small, or startup business. My question is: how do I know whether my articles posted on the blog are any good? That I am writing about "hot" topics?

Also, how good is the grammar checker found in Microsoft word application?

Any suggestions? thanks.
There are several things you can do to notice whether or not if you're articles are helpful:

First you can make a list of all the problems, frustrations & questions that other small business owners are experiencing.

Next can start creating content around this through your articles & may be even doing some videos which ever one you choose to do then always make sure that you're creating eye-catching headlines (this gets people to click on your content faster than ever).

You can always add Google Analytics to your website to because this lets you know exactly how long people are staying on your website & reading your content.

Create yourself a good Opt-in offer one they feel like would be beneficial to them or one they feel like they would get left out on if they don't opt-in.

Always be consistent with creating your content, promote it & always address your niche's problems & any questions they have. I promise you that you won't have any problems with your content being valuable to anyone.

Or with those in your niche finding it valuable enough to share with their fans & followers.

Hope this addressed your question.

Toshiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 12:40 PM   #9
viper_one
VIP Contributor

...Thank you.

I don't know whether Google Analytics will work with a Tumblr blog. But it would be really great to know the math. Yes, I think you covered a lot of the bases, but I am still wondering about the grammar checker this might sound funny: I've been working with grammar books. I forgot a lot since those days when I bagged at high school, college.

Old 19th November 2012, 07:14 AM   #10
accurate.cygnet

Initially keep it simple. Blog is a virtual representation of your business. Content must be original. Try to put your own thoughts into it. Advertise your blog through social media and try to reach your targeted audience.

accurate.cygnet is offline   Reply With Quote