Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th November 2012, 05:58 AM   #1
webhunter

Send a message via Skype™ to webhunter
Default Website URL- .com Verses .net Domain Extension Website

I am confused.., which domain extension is good regarding SEO purpose? Both extension .com and .net is top level domain(TLD domain), But .com domain is good for SEO. My one website domain is websitedesigncompany.net.au, but its never come on first position for this keyword ‘website design company’. It,s always ranks on 2nd position in Google Australia search, because a websitedesigncompany.com.au ranks on first position for same keyword in same search engine. I think, Google gives too much priority to .com extension website. What do you say?

webhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 29th November 2012, 09:14 AM   #2
guttman

Well i think both are ok. I dont see much difference in .net and .com SEO wise. But if you have option you can go for .com as i think its easy to remember.

guttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 12:29 PM   #3
SDGSteve

I'm unaware of it giving any priority to TLD, your competitor's site is probably just optimised better.

Old 1st December 2012, 01:08 PM   #4
mohamednegm

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttman View Post
Well i think both are ok. I dont see much difference in .net and .com SEO wise. But if you have option you can go for .com as i think its easy to remember.
that what I also think. besides that .com is always easy to remember

mohamednegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Hampers
VIP Contributor

In my opinion it doesn't really matter, just get busy with it.

People assume .com or .net or your regional variation.

Hampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:04 AM   #6
ScottDecker

Google doesn't really care about the extension, but people do.

When the internet was first getting big, companies sunk tons of advertising dollars into promoting their .com name.

So, everyone has come to expect that legit businesses have a .com

Also, the best domain names for SEO do NOT involve your business name. It's something like clevelandpetstore.com - that is, if you're a pet store in cleveland!

Other good domain extensions are .info .tv(if you're involved in television) or a country-specific extension (like .co.uk for united kindom)

ScottDecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 03:30 AM   #7
borgninestallon
VIP Contributor

A proper & well structured domain must have a extension of .com that really helps in ranking a site in search engines. It is good for SEO. If your site is ranking in 2nd position, then you no need to worry as most of the people would be clicking your site and i think the business wont get stopped.

Old 8th December 2012, 11:52 PM   #8
aussiekev

I would suggest use a good SEO testing tool to test your site and the .com.au site and see what they are doing that you are not.

Kev

aussiekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 08:59 PM   #9
The SEO Guys

.com and .net are both the highest authority for SEO purposes and both equal. The rest fall below. This is coming from an ex google employee so it should be fairly accurate.

The SEO Guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 02:49 AM   #10
dgeneschi

For SEO purposes, I'm quite certain it doesn't matter. For general memorability, obviously prioritize .com but the world won't think you're a joke with a .net either so not a huge deal. On the subject, though, I would strongly advise against putting hyphens in your url (hurts memorability a lot -- only takes telling people "no, it's [domain] with a hyphen" a couple times to have that lesson ingrained in you).