Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Ecommerce
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th January 2009, 10:48 AM   #11
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonovan1 View Post
Do you have any suggestions for payment processing companies other than PayPal?
You can either get a real merchant account, or you could consider third-party payment processors such as 2CheckOut or CCNow.

--Torka

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th January 2009, 01:28 PM   #12
chesa7

Having set up a store online recently (almost 2 years ago now) my advice would be to learn everything you can about search engine optimization right from the beginning! I believe I lost a number of months of possible sales growth early on as I was much more focused on all of the logistics of setting up an ecommerce site (of which there are many!) than I was on building the organic traffic. Make this your priority from day one!

chesa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 12:24 AM   #13
hagriddon

I reckon there are loads of "systems" out there which promise big money, in my humble opinion you have to watch out for the ones that promise you the world with no or little effort on your part. I'd suggest using the trial period extensively if you can. Good luck finding something that suits

hagriddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 12:26 AM   #14
Lizapotter

Well setting up an online business is not a difficult deal, the most important point to consider is it's marketing so that traffic will increase to your online store and also to provide quality services so that customers visit your online store again and again

Lizapotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 05:23 AM   #15
banzaibert

First of all, you must have a good website. Then, be sure your content is very clear especially what you are selling. You can even sell multiple products and not just computer stuff.

banzaibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 11:07 AM   #16
Collabora

Adiddas -

Did you ever set something up. Let's have a look. Let me know if you need anything.

Collabora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 01:44 AM   #17
multimediocrity

Talking

There's a couple of tips I can recommend.

First, get a good developer. There are several terrible eCommerce stores out there. This hurts the store's reputation and credibility. People are giving the owner their credit card or purchasing information, and if they don't trust the site, they will not trust the dealer. It's also important to maintain good usability, especially on a site as complicated as an eStore.

Second, make sure you choose a good starter package. I've seen low-cost frameworks that are much better and easy to configure than the $8,000 plus frameworks you can buy.

I recommend Amalgam Web and Media (www.amalgamweb.com). They can set you up with an eStore at a very low cost. They'll custom design it and configure it for you, and they'll give you an easy-to-use admin tool for it so you can manage your store, items, and categories. Seriously, a complete eStore from them costs much, much less than most of the basic frameworks I've seen on the web. I suggest you check them out!

multimediocrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 04:22 AM   #18
rlane

There are a ton of companies selling hardware online. What do you plan to do/offer to help separate your company from the competition?

rlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 06:10 AM   #19
felix89

Register with a reliable website-hosting service. Compare services to sign up the one that provides the amount of space and traffic you require---plus some, for when your Web business increases---and offers you user-friendly access to your webmaster tools. Some Web-hosting packages are expensive but include unlimited space and traffic, multiple domain names, many email accounts, good customer service and other perks.

felix89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 06:02 AM   #20
georgechapman

There are a lot of company's that offer e-commerce software online, You don't have to be an expert on web design and development to put up a functional website nowadays. As long as you know the basic, you are good to go. The software will do the rest.

There is also the option of hiring people to do the job for you. There are lots of freelancers out there. You could use the internet to look for them. I'm not sure how that works though. Anyway, good luck to you.