Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Ecommerce
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th June 2013, 06:34 AM   #1
Alastair

Default Magento Vs Prestashop

Hello,

Both are free open source shopping carts and have plenty of features but here are few thing on the basis of which one declare a winner among these two shopping carts.

Which one is better and why? Tell your experience.

Alastair is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st July 2013, 06:38 PM   #2
wed123

For small businesses Magento is probably not the way to go. It runs very slow on shared hosting so you will have the extra expense of having to get a dedicated server. Given the complexity of Magento, it is not so easy to get a good developer. Prestashop is a much easier cart to understand with a vibrant community developing loads of quality mods. Personally I use Opencart but that's a different story......

Old 16th September 2013, 12:30 PM   #3
RoseHosting

Both shopping carts are a great way to start a new eCommerce website. Magento is more popular and SEO friendly, but PrestaShop is slowly catching up. Prestashop is much easier to customize.

Magento consumes a lot of server resources and it is recommended to install it on a VPS or even a dedicated server. On the other hand, PrestaShop can easily be used on a decent shared hosting plan.

RoseHosting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Daniel_GA

There's a lot of misinformation in regards to Magento. I work with Magento ecommerce installs on a daily basis so am somewhat qualified to post on the topic.

The community edition is both open source and free. It's a great place to start and an excellent choice for large to medium sized shops. Most of the popular hosting providers don't have server configs properly set-up to support Magento and that's likely where lot's of the misinformation comes from in regards to it being resource intensive. There are a couple of very reputable and economically priced Hosts that cater primarily to Magento. Dedicated ips and plans with these host typically start at 30-45 per month.

If you're running a relatively small shop, say less than >500-1,000 sku Magento may very well be more than what you're looking for. In this case I most likely would recommend to a client to go with another open source solution such as woocommerce on a wordpress platform.

Like most things everyone has a personal preference and I do as well. I've been developing and designing ecommerce software solutions professionally for about a decade now... for whatever that's worth.

Daniel_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2013, 05:58 PM   #5
Daniel_GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHosting View Post
Magento consumes a lot of server resources and it is recommended to install it on a VPS or even a dedicated server.
A very common misconception here. Please see my previous comment on choosing the right Magento Host.

Daniel_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 08:10 AM   #6
VishalBhatt123

When i have two option for developing eCommerce store and two option are PrestaShop and Magento.
My first choice is Magento because it provides robustness and more functionality compare to PrestaShop. I add 50000+ product at Magento successfully. So, Magento is the best place for developing your eCommerce store.

Old 13th November 2013, 03:04 AM   #7
AAAWebstore

Both Magento and PrestaShop are open source e-commerce solutions, In my experience
Magento is the best option because Magento is suitable for all sizes busniesses and SEO friendly while Prestashop offers limited services and functionality,Prestashop is for small inventory.

Last edited by AAAWebstore; 13th November 2013 at 11:37 PM.
AAAWebstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 06:19 AM   #8
nicholas12

In my opinion Magento is better,it is considered suitable for the larger eCommerce stores because more services and products are listed in the sale. But on the other hand PrestaShop is found to be more suitable for the small scale businesses because of its limited facilities and services to the eCommerce stores.

nicholas12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 08:41 AM   #9
CherylHauck

Location: 165 Stevens Ave Little Falls, NJ 07424 40.876556, -74.231356

Magento and Prestashop both are open source programs. You can describe both in different ways. It is really very tough to make decisions in between Magento and Prestashop, where Prestashop is mostly used for small to medium business and Magento is used for medium to large business. Both will give you the best solutions. You can use Magento if you have good knowledge of technology, but if you are technically challenged then I will suggest you to go with Prestashop.

CherylHauck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2014, 04:19 AM   #10
jeremypdecker

Prestashop:

PrestaShop is easier to install than Magento
PrestaShop has a lower system requirement
Itís easier to customize PrestaShop
PrestaShop is much smaller than Magento

Magento:

Magento doesnít have the compatibility issues
Magento has more out-of-the-box features than PrestaShop
More custom features and options