Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th July 2007, 05:59 PM   #1
thejenn

Send a message via AIM to thejenn

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Default New Article - Why Is Online Reputation Management Important?

Authored by: Jody Nimetz

Full Text: http://www.searchengineguide.com/nimetz/010312.html

A Snippet:

On a personal level, having a damaged reputation can mean being a part of the "in-crowd" or being a loner. For businesses a damaged or negative reputation can mean millions of dollars. The importance of reputation management cannot be emphasized enough.

Old 18th July 2007, 07:17 PM   #2
arteworks

I believe this is a growing phenomenon, at least insofar as corporate clients are recognizing there are ways to combat negative press. I have seen a few articles recently popping up on this subject.

A few weeks ago we were approached with an interesting proposition by prospective client. What would it take to get a bit of negative press in a forum, written by a disgruntled, renegade consumer, out of the top 20 google results within 60 days?

Well of course seo is not an exact science, and this "reverse seo" was new to me as i had never been approached with it. But i through a number out there and the client ended up buying 240 hours of time over 60 days to get the job done. A *huge* deal to say the least. It has been interesting watching the progress, and as of today, which is day 33, we have the offending entry down to #19...almost there! Previously they were at position 3.

I did struggle with this at first as I was wondering if it was ethical to do such a thing, to flood the web with content, pr, social media profiles, and the like for the sole purpose of supplanting an undesirable result. But i realized that just as each member of society has the right to their opinion, so does each other member have the right to an opposing opinion, and to promote that opinion to the fullest extent possible.

You will find it labeled as "black hat" or unethical in a number of sites if you do a search, but i believe it is a legitimate concern of business and that reputation management is a valid service to offer.

arteworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 02:50 PM   #3
MrMagoo

It's funny how the whole concept of very simple things such as image, reputation, communication etiquette, ect... have to be reformulated and re-analyzed the second it is brought to the digital realm...

It' almost as if human memory and computer memory are perceived as two different things when in reality... both of them are capable of dredging up the past....

My reputation was important to me before the internet... I do not see why it should be any different now that it exists...

Reputations are always flawed... everyone sees things differently...

As long as we all control our business from a human perspective then we will all have room for our own unique reputation presence....

My in crowd is not your in crowd... and my business partners most certainly will not be the same as your business partners...

Taking an active stance and participating as a human being on the web should be everyones top priority from a business reputation just as the article suggests...

Just a thought

MrMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 09:27 AM   #4
James Schramko

I would suggest everyone register their own .com as well because one day when it is gone and someone is trying to sell it to you or even worse put content on it you have very little control over the easiest domain to optimize for youself.

Get your kids ones as well.

James Schramko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 11:54 AM   #5
thejenn

Send a message via AIM to thejenn

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I'll second that. I actually own my domain name and my kids domains. Just haven't done anything with them.

Old 14th August 2007, 08:26 AM   #6
James Schramko

Two of my kids have blogs on theirs and they both make income from them - should make pocket money less of an issue

James Schramko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 01:57 AM   #7
schumi0008

yes,they're brand,they must be responsible for it

schumi0008 is offline   Reply With Quote