Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Print Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th March 2005, 11:42 AM   #1
Linda
VIP Contributor

Default 13 Facts About Newspaper Advertising

Here is an article by Big Mike McDaniel on all the aspects to consider in newspaper advertising.

"Advertising in the paper works for many people in business. The astute merchant understands the newspaper's weaknesses and works to avoid them whenever possible."

Catch it @ http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/ar...ng/001058.html

What are the pluses and minuses you have experienced in newspaper advertising?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 28th April 2005, 11:50 PM   #2
Crystal W.

Default This might not stand for everyone but...

I find that starting out in business, newspaper advertising is an excellent source for customers, but I have found that because my business is new to the area, it is under alot of scutiny. I also have to advertise in bigger town papers than the small town, that I reside in, which is not very successful without an 800 number. With an 800 number, I recieve over 60% more calls than without. That's a great increase.

Crystal W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 01:38 PM   #3
BizDoc

Crystal,

One challenge you have as a small businessperson is tracking the source of your customers. Without knowing that you can't determine the effectiveness of your advertising. As suggested in a different thread, you can code your ads by asking prospects to "mention offer code XXX" when they call. You can drive this by offering a discount redeemable for a particular offer code.

Cheers!

BizDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 09:06 PM   #4
davaoprojects

Interesting facts about newspapers! It is really important that we get to know these things for us to determine our marketing strategies especially in print advertising. I know many businessmen still rely on newspapers as an effective tool for advertising, and if we don't do it correctly and creatively, we might just lose everything we have invested on.

davaoprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 08:42 PM   #5
DanWilliams

Biggest problem I face is that my small town redneck paper won't allow "above the fold" ads !! Yep, I couldn't believe it myself...proof is in the research...almost 50% more effective when you're ad is placed right side above the fold. Hope you can benefit from asking for that placement on your next print ad By the way, my print ads give a better ROI than anything else for the last 24 months running.

DanWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 01:54 AM   #6
pugingkarl

Default True

I agree. Amidst the flooding advertisements found on social networks, still, most businessmen rely on newspapers for advertisements.

pugingkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 11:18 PM   #7
hyperbolic

Most people who actually matter will use newspaper ads, in my experience.

hyperbolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 12:42 AM   #8
bradmarcus

Send a message via Skype™ to bradmarcus

I think like anything else, every business must evaluate who their customers are and what advertising avenues they will be on. I work with businesses who have websites, so online ads work best for me. One of my clients has run a big weekly newspaper ad for years and sees declining ROI while their website is a growing part of their new client business, so I was hired to jump-start things there. I think a blanket statement like hyperbolic's is completely wrong.

bradmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 02:38 PM   #9
danielkanuck

Sometimes advertising in the sports section of the newspaper can bring more response than running your ad in a more appropriate category.

My guess is that alot of people visit the sports section first to get the latest news on games being played, and they discover your ad there also and decide to take you up on your offer.