Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Radio Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th March 2008, 09:05 PM   #1
beefjerkydiet

Question Radio Ad A Good Idea?

I just embarked on my new career - Creative Commercial Finance. I know my target market are other small business owners, don't have a tremendous budget (actually not much of a budget at all) having fairly good luck with online marketing, was wondering if someone can give me some straight talk about the benefits of radio advertising for a small business owner like myself. What can one really expect from a radio ad?

Thank you in advance for any time you may devote to answering me.

Crystal

beefjerkydiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd March 2008, 12:37 PM   #2
JackieHFS

Default Radio Ads

Crystal,

As I mentioned in my email but thought I would put it out there for others to see. Radio ads can be very effective. However, you need to know the costs, times they will play, the radio station's demographics and since you are a new business you would want to look at a 3 month ad package to get some name recognition.

Many of the stations we have would sell the ads for $13 to $18 per spot. Since we offer packages grouping 5 stations together, our rates are typically between $7 to $9 per spot and I can guarantee our ads run Mon to Fri 6 AM to 6 PM. Again all stuff you need to find out.

Looking forward to talking with you again in the future. Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

Jackie

JackieHFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 06:55 PM   #3
RadioBrady

Cool Small Business and Radio R.O.I.

If your target market is small business owners, look for a news/talk station. Iíve worked for a news/talk station for a few years and these formats (talk, news/talk, sometimes sports talk too) attract the small business owners. Plus, talk formats are more geared toward direct response advertising because of the nature of the audio. Listeners of talk formats are more inclined to listen through commercial breaks (i.e. talking) and react because the programming consists of someone(s) talking. Ad sales people have access to the number of small business owners that Aribitron predicts. Although the ranking of a certain station when it comes to small business listenership is chief, it is also important to look at stations that have listeners with a high average income. You can assume that these people may look for financing for their spouse, friend, child, whoever.

About your specific business and calculating R.O.IÖ..

Are you finding that the general public is looking for your category of business, but donít know who to turn to? Is your business category particularly popular right now? If so, radio could be your answer
First, to get a good grip on the type of R.O.I. you could expect, you need to determine what an average client is worth to you. Just for example; a talk radio station in L.A has 36,000 small business owners who listen, and youíre spending 3-4k a week for ads (which is the average rate for a massive market like L.A.), the question that is vital is how many more clients do you need to get to a.) Cover your investment? b.) Generate a positive ROI? If you reach 1/64th of 1% of the 36,000 small business owners, you will gain 11 new clients. Will that result in growth of your business?

A 2 to1, or 2.5 to 1 R.O.I. are reasonable expectations if you have a good product that people are looking for, and your spot is appealing and asks the listener to act. (Completely another topic)

The benefits of radio advertising are obvious; getting you more business by telling hundreds of thousands people every week what you do and how to get ahold of you. If online marketing is working, there are certain things you can do with radio to increase the responsiveness youíre seeing. I would suggest waiting to do any radio advertising in L.A. until you have a budget that will allow for at least 3 months of constant advertising. I went on for too longÖ. I hope this helps.

RadioBrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 04:23 PM   #4
DaveDee

Radio is a secondary media that you should use after you get direct mail to work. Direct mail is still king and, if done properly, beats the pants off of online marketing.

You can easily get a list of small business owners and mail to them. A big tip though is to niche so you are now the expert for dentists or chiropractors or restaurants, etc.

Not only will you get a better response than just being a generalist you will make more money as well.

Get print to work first to hone your message and then test other media, including radio.

~Dave Dee

DaveDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 06:49 PM   #5
Jessika

I don't think it will hurt your business at all, that's for sure. I think that print is the most important, depending on the scale at which you attempt to reach people. I just think that not enough people are paying attention to radio ads for them to be very beneficial.

Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 09:50 AM   #6
radiogirl
VIP Contributor

Send a message via MSN to radiogirl Send a message via Yahoo to radiogirl Send a message via Skype™ to radiogirl

I wouldn't suggest radio as your primary advertising vehicle but as a lead generator. Use the commercial in direct response style (sending further information through mail or sending them to your website to learn more).

Concentrate your commercials in early morning drive time for industrial type business. In an oil town like mine that would be between 7 and 7:30 am - this is when most oil consultants are getting into their vehicles but not far enough out of town to have switched to satellite yet. It will cost more per spot than a run of schedule campaign, but it will be better targeted to your audience and you will need fewer spots to generate a response with a well written commercial.

You will have a better chance of hitting small business owners before they get caught up in the daily grind.

If you can afford preferred placement on your station of choice and don't quite know the industry you are targeting well enough, set it up for between news and sports (or sponsor a weather break). Another alternative is to check the station for a business or industry report...sponsor that!

An alternative strategy (and less expensive) if you are targeting retail small business...visit several stores in your area and note which station they are listening to in store and then book your commercials for about 30 minutes after stores tend to open (if stores open around 10 typically then you'd be aiming for a 10:30am time slot) -

Expand your campaign with the station's internet capabilities if they have them available. Create a survey campaign that drives the listener/visitor to your website to compete for points for prizes (these are provided by the station in most cases for part of your internet campaign).

Hope some of these strategies help to make the best use of radio for your needs.

Old 1st May 2008, 05:37 PM   #7
shouldIfranchis

Default Small to mid size town - its Great!

Radio advertisements are very affordable generally in smaller population centers - I started several businesses (some were not even local type businesses - but I still used the radio as an audience/customer source). For a locality of about 100,000 people it was cheaper and more revenue generating than print advertising. Things are generally going the way of the web though, and soon we found PPC. And, now with PPC skyrocketing, we might actually go back to radio . . . their rates have actually dropped because online advertising is so popular, and because print advertising companies are actually raising rates to make up for losses to online ads.

shouldIfranchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 04:40 AM   #8
veronica

Its a good idea to consider supplementing marketing strategy with radio advertisements:, They reach individuals when they are in their homes, in their cars, while they are on the Internet, and can even reach them in a public setting.

veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 08:41 AM   #9
Marketing Spot

As mentioned by DaveDee above, radio should not be your primary medium for reaching small business owners. I concur that a direct mail campaign would be more effective (use postcards), but don't discount the power of networking through your local chamber of commerce.

Marketing Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 08:35 AM   #10
Juliusanderson

Radio is traditionally one of the most affordable advertising media for small retailers and other local businesses. A 60-second commercial is rarely sold at twice the price of a 30-second one. Most radio stations only charge 35% more for the longer spot.

Juliusanderson is offline   Reply With Quote