Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th April 2015, 11:19 AM   #11
kindsvater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
Therefore, seeing as I don't altogether trust Google, I think there must be some ulterior motive for Google to come up with this idea.
Follow the money.

Google is not making as much money with Adwords on mobile devices. One reason is so many sites look terrible on mobile. Why use Google on a mobile device if it is returning poor looking sites?

On the other hand, Amazon looks great. So for searches where there is money to be made Google has a problem - which is why it is kicking the butts of millions of webmasters to make their sites look better on mobile so Google can make more money.

The storyline is your site will get less organic clicks if it is not mobile friendly. I don't think Google really cares if your site gets traffic or not. But Google does care about a user experience which will lead to more Adwords clicks.

kindsvater is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th April 2015, 02:16 PM   #12
DantheMan
VIP Contributor

Default Mobile Friendly Mandate

Not having all the facts, maybe I shouldn't form an opinion. *Having said that, I shouldn't voice it either. *But then there's the fact that I do have one, so I will express it.

I see Google making a possibly critical business mistake here. *They've betrayed not only their customers but their users as well. *Obviously, I'm not the only one to have lost trust in Google for their surreal motifs to conceal the so real motives. *The words trust, care, and money have already been used by others in this thread.

Google has shown it's most important value is money (IMO). *Did Google ask it's paying customers if they wanted or even liked this idea? *Did they ask it's users? If not, then they do not care?

I'm a user not a Google customer. *I don't like seeing results based on keywords Google has auctioned or sold (I don't have all the facts). *I don't want Google telling me what I need to see on my mobile device. *In fact, I won't allow them (any longer) to manipulate me. *Google is not the only way to search, dispite what they may now believe.

Google is going to impose a penalty of cost to each and every customer they have. *For all the people who refuse to obey this mandate and all of those who do comply with it, a cost will be incurred. *This cost will eventually be returned to Google's business and the economy in general. *Perhaps not with the results originally expected.

I'm certain most (if not 99.99%) of businesses will do as Google demands or suffer the consequences deemed appropriate by Google. *Perhaps Google will provide them an alternative purchasable solution to avoid being removed from the public's view. *Oh, or is this a paid advertising network unbeknownst to the general public user base of their business foundation?

Then again, I don't have a website so it doesn't effect me as much as most of you.

Do you treat your customers and users like Google? *If given the chance, would you? *I wouldn't because I have values to prevent me from doing so. *Why then, does Google choose to do so? *Why the penalty?

DantheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 02:31 PM   #13
Spider
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
... Instead what happens is Google provides the user results based on serps that are filtered only to show mobile friendly results. So the relevance of the page is not important IF there is no mobile version provided.
That's my point. Google has always said, as far as I know, that relevance was the most important factor. That Google's results are more relevant to the search query than other SEs. Now, suddenly, as far as mobile is concerned, relevance is no longer most important.

What this is saying, of course, is that a person searching Google with their mobile device is not going to be served the most relevant results if the webpage containing the most relevant results is not mobile-friendly (according the Big-G.)

Quote:
What I find interesting, in the above scenario I don't have to have the same content on my mobile page as regular site. Seems an area for exploitation to me.
Agreed. It can be just another means of cloaking. Not good!

Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 02:39 PM   #14
Spider
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindsvater View Post
Follow the money.
Google is not making as much money with Adwords on mobile devices....

... The storyline is your site will get less organic clicks if it is not mobile friendly. I don't think Google really cares if your site gets traffic or not. But Google does care about a user experience which will lead to more Adwords clicks.
There you go!

... your site will get less organic clicks if it is not mobile friendly... because Google will refuse to include it in mobile serps.

And this from a company that professes to "Not do evil!"

Not only does Google not care if your site gets traffic or not, it doesn't care if you get the most relevant results to your searches, either.

Last edited by Spider; 19th April 2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 19th April 2015, 03:17 PM   #15
Spider
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DantheMan View Post
... Google has shown it's most important value is money (IMO). *Did Google ask it's paying customers if they wanted or even liked this idea? *Did they ask it's users? If not, then they do not care? ...
Google have never cared about their public, in my view. I fell out with them when as one of a group of people running specialized search engines in the late 1990s, they did their best to stop us.

Quote:
... I'm a user not a Google customer. *I don't like seeing results based on keywords Google has auctioned or sold (I don't have all the facts). *I don't want Google telling me what I need to see on my mobile device. *In fact, I won't allow them (any longer) to manipulate me. *Google is not the only way to search, dispite what they may now believe.
Of late, I find Bing and Yahoo offer superior results (by a small margin, though) but as a website owner, most SE traffic does come from Google. The SE I like best is Ixquick.com

Quote:
... I'm certain most (if not 99.99%) of businesses will do as Google demands or suffer the consequences deemed appropriate by Google. ...
My website has been mobile-friendly since I went on Wordpress about five years ago. Not because of Google but because the WP theme I used was already mobile-friendly. But it makes sense to be mobile-friendly, even without Google's shenanigans.

Quote:
Do you treat your customers and users like Google? *If given the chance, would you? *I wouldn't because I have values to prevent me from doing so. *Why then, does Google choose to do so? *Why the penalty?
In my opinion, because Google is evil. Any company that starts off with a byline of "Don't be evil" is thinking of evil from the get-go!

Last edited by Spider; 19th April 2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 19th April 2015, 04:32 PM   #16
DantheMan
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Google have never cared about their public, in my view. I fell out with them when as one of a group of people running specialized search engines in the late 1990s, they did their best to stop us.

Of late, I find Bing and Yahoo offer superior results (by a small margin, though) but as a website owner, most SE traffic does come from Google. The SE I like best is Ixquick.com

My website has been mobile-friendly since I went on Wordpress about five years ago. Not because of Google but because the WP theme I used was already mobile-friendly. But it makes sense to be mobile-friendly, even without Google's shenanigans.
Google's search results (now) tell me if a site (including yours) is mobile friendly or not. As of now, I have a choice.

Google is trying (and succeeding) to be an integrator. I'd like to be able to have an integrator business model. A monopoly who manipulates an industry based on a free user network needs to be careful of just how arrogant and ruthless they present themselves.

Even if Google has good intentions, they should have enough sense to realize the consequences of sending a wrong message. The risk of having no future should outweigh the reward of ruling the internet world.

Old 19th April 2015, 07:53 PM   #17
Logan
Administrator

Here is google's explanation

Quote:
When you use different URLs to serve the same content in different formats, the annotation tells Google’s algorithms that those two URLs have equivalent content and should be treated as one entity instead of two entities. If the desktop and mobile version of the page are treated as separate entities, both desktop and mobile URLs can be shown in desktop search results, and their ranking may be lower than if Google understood their relationship.

https://developers.google.com/webmas.../separate-urls

Old 20th April 2015, 09:34 AM   #18
DantheMan
VIP Contributor

Google has a long history of making statements which are not indicative of their actual practices.

Everyone has the choice to use Google's nothing organic about it search engine or not.

The majority of Internet users will eventually realize what's going on. How do expect they will react?

If your business is predominantly dependent upon a revenue stream supported and controlled by another company, you should understand the risk of your reputation and future being destroyed by guilt of association with that company. That goes for any business, not just Google.

Do you honestly believe Google provides organic search results based on quality and relevancy of unique content?

Answer after visiting this:

http://www.searchneutrality.org

Old 20th April 2015, 09:46 AM   #19
kindsvater

Quote:
Google has always said, as far as I know, that relevance was the most important factor.
From the recently leaked FTC documents we know that "marketing pitch" is not true. Google has been manually manipulating listings to purposefully not show the most relevant results - in order to make more money and, in some instances, to extort content from a few companies.

kindsvater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 11:33 AM   #20
Nath

I haven't seen the whole specification of what is Google actually going to do, because I'm using mobile friendly theme. but I'd assume that if a site is mobile friendly, it can help it in SERP, but I wouldn't think that just by having a mobile friendly would outweigh non-mobile friendly website that is actually more relevant to a particular search phrase. Or am I wrong?

Nath is offline   Reply With Quote