Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Direct Mail
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd February 2013, 04:14 PM   #1
Knuffel

Default First Direct Mail Campaign! Advice?

Hi all,

I'm about to embark on a direct mail campaign, my first direct mail campaign!

I am new to all this... Though, one of the things I'm not new to is the power of the written word!

I strongly believe that language and how we use it has a massive effect on the end result of all forms of human interaction!

Naturally when I started my new business I wanted to utilize the written word in generating sales... I'm not a bad salesman, but when at all possible I believe that direct mail is the best solution. Especially compared to cold calling!

I'm running a web design / development business and I've managed to find 200 local leads with poor websites. They either have awful designs, no SEO or in some cases no website at all!

All in all I think they really need what I'm offering and I should have a good chance of making some sales!

Quick detour...

I'm not sure if I can post my copy in here? If I can someone let me know and I'll add it into another post!

Now that's out of the way...

I can tell you that I'm trying to drive the leads to call me for a free consultation or to the website and to the contact section.

What I'm worried about despite the fact I think my sales letter will be good, is not getting any responses!

My local area is pretty small and I've put a lot of work into manually creating this list and I feel like it's probably a one shot only kind of chance to convert these people!

I'm going with the local sort of theme and playing on the fact that I'd LOVE to see local businesses do well! That sort of thing!

I was thinking that I could send out slightly different letters in batches of 20... See which gets the most responses and then use that for all future direct mail campaigns for the company.

What do you think? Any advice would be very much appreciated and don't forget to tell me if I can include my copy in here!

Knuffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th February 2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Diane Seltzer

I'm not sure if you can include copy (don't see why not?) but I do think that your approach of appealing to local businesses as a local company is a good one.

Your list is not that big actually, so I would not consider your direct mail campaign to be a "one shot" campaign... you should probably consider doing a multi-touch campaign that includes more than just a sales letter. For example, why not include call follow-ups after the letter (doing the phased approach of small batches will help).

I would also consider making the letter as customized as possible... pull in specific details about the companies or their website, segment list by companies that have no website and those that just need to improve their website (that segment could even have sub-segments).

Good luck!

Old 4th February 2013, 05:52 PM   #3
Toshiba

Never done direct mail before, but I've heard that it could definitely have some really good long term effects if you do it right & if you're consistent.

Toshiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 01:32 AM   #4
BrettR

Keep in mind even the best copywriters fail more than half the time with their campaigns. The only real way to know about whether your campaign will be successful is to test. Test one variable at a time too: the envelope, the list, the offer, the call to action, etc.

Consider jump starting your business by offering an extremely cheap website for the first 5 responders to the ad. (Be sure to collect hosting though to make it at least break even over time.) Irresistible offers are one of the bigger keys in doing direct mail campaigns.

It sounds like you simply need to pull the trigger now!

Hope this helps...

BrettR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 07:47 AM   #5
PatprecisionE
VIP Contributor

I agree with Diane, this should not be a one shot campaign. Considering it's only 200 people, I would recommend sending out 2 or 3 letters.

The fact is, direct mail can very much be trial and error. While there are best practices that work for everyone, the only way to know what will work for your target market is through testing.

PatprecisionE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 03:42 PM   #6
TheMailGuy

knuffel, i am a rep for a company that specializes in the handling of mailouts. I would suggest a typed letter with your signature printed at the bottom. The signature makes it a bit more personal. Put it on some nicer/heavier paper than regular copy paper to add some flare. Also, have the envelope paper match the letter's paper (looks very professional).

Thanks

TheMailGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 03:21 PM   #7
uspackaging

Getting the prospect to open the mail or treat it different than "junk mail" is the largest obstacle in my experience. Trying to find something that stands out, but is still professional can be difficult.

Old 17th May 2013, 07:11 AM   #8
mktgbiz

LUMPY!

Lumpy mail gets opened.....

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 05:09 PM   #9
CoachSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuffel View Post
Hi all,

I'm about to embark on a direct mail campaign, my first direct mail campaign!

I am new to all this... Though, one of the things I'm not new to is the power of the written word!

I strongly believe that language and how we use it has a massive effect on the end result of all forms of human interaction!

Naturally when I started my new business I wanted to utilize the written word in generating sales... I'm not a bad salesman, but when at all possible I believe that direct mail is the best solution. Especially compared to cold calling!

I'm running a web design / development business and I've managed to find 200 local leads with poor websites. They either have awful designs, no SEO or in some cases no website at all!

All in all I think they really need what I'm offering and I should have a good chance of making some sales!

Quick detour...

I'm not sure if I can post my copy in here? If I can someone let me know and I'll add it into another post!

Now that's out of the way...

I can tell you that I'm trying to drive the leads to call me for a free consultation or to the website and to the contact section.

What I'm worried about despite the fact I think my sales letter will be good, is not getting any responses!

My local area is pretty small and I've put a lot of work into manually creating this list and I feel like it's probably a one shot only kind of chance to convert these people!

I'm going with the local sort of theme and playing on the fact that I'd LOVE to see local businesses do well! That sort of thing!

I was thinking that I could send out slightly different letters in batches of 20... See which gets the most responses and then use that for all future direct mail campaigns for the company.

What do you think? Any advice would be very much appreciated and don't forget to tell me if I can include my copy in here!

Hi, Knuffel,

I'm a new guy to the forum but cut my teeth on direct mail starting in the 1970s. I know you had your forum question back in Feb and it's May, but I'm wondering how did you do?

I've helped market advice marketers (consultants, attorneys, accountants, etc) for years (like 40), but it's been fun.

In a service such as yours, I would test a call-mail-call campaign to gain leads as you are dealing with so few.

If the metrics work you can scale up by using virtual assistants to make your calls for you.

Did your initial campaign work?

Warm regards,
Steve

But you are indeed correct, your copy is your initial sales person. Get that right and all else falls in line.

CoachSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 12:18 AM   #10
Bennyb

I have done direct mail to get website and seo clients before.

What I did was a two step approach.

First I sent thm all a custom mail piece with a short description of what needs to be fixed and why and them invited them to contact me if they wanted to set up an appointment.

If you want the mail piece pm me

Bennyb is offline   Reply With Quote