Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st August 2006, 01:42 PM   #21
orvado

Default I Use Movable Type

I am currently using Movable Type. It is a fairly mature and stable product. Like Wordpress, it requires you to have MySQL installed at your host. After hearing a lot of good things about Wordpress, I may have to check it out.

I have also tried b2evolution, blogger, and one other which escapes me. It's funny someone mentioned that blogger helps you get ranked in Google faster. I quit blogger specifically because I wasn't picked up by Google. I've been very happy with Movable Type.

orvado is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 31st August 2006, 11:34 PM   #22
JGAviator

Default Update on WP Install

If this newbie can get through it, then almost anyone can. It took some time, research, and testing, but I got WP up and running. I spent a weeks looking for just the right theme. It's cool with a click of a button and a brand new theme was running. Then came integrating Adsense. I thought for sure that I wasn't going to be able to do it without some PHP or Java or something related to programing to get it done. Then I stubbled across Adsense Deluxe that made it all simple. Still so much more to learn, but I at least feel like I learned a lot. Thanks Matt and everyone else you helped, "teach a man to fish..."

Old 1st September 2006, 12:04 AM   #23
gilmorejay
VIP Contributor

I haven't posted to these forums for a while but this thread intrigued me as I have done many installs of WordPress as well as template designs and template modifications.

My reason for posting in this thread is that the number of long term advantages for business to use a user hosted (your server) application like WordPress vs. a service hosted (Google's server) application such as Blogger is control. It is not just about blogging, it is about building your business. Blogger is great for posting journal entries and travel blogs but for serious business the benefits of control begin to trump the simplicity and low starting cost. What is even worse is that if you have a highly successful site on blogger and you want to move it to your server and onto WordPress or Movable Type is all the issues with SEO and lost links. You can with a lot of typing create redirects for every page and everypost but that will either cost money or time(read money). User hosted has a front end cost in time and effort but the long term advantages for serious business are great.

I thought I would point out a tip that I read over at the the flyte log http://www.flyteblog.com/flyte/2006/...d_page_ti.html which lead me to note that WordPress by default will make its title structure "Blog Title>Category>Post Title. According to what Rich Brooks suggests in his post, the words at the front of the title element (the words that appear in your titlebar) are likely weighted more heavily than those later in the title as more relevant.

I have made the change to my WP installs and first, like the way it reads now and second, think this at least won't hurt and at best might help.

The following link is from the WordPress Codex files it gives examples of forms and usage. You will need access to a text editor and or a html/php editor but the best thing to use is a plain text editor. (not word or wordpad). You will also need access to your web server via FTP.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags/wp_title

In most WP themes the "title" tag resides in the header.php file. Theme files are typically installed into www.'yourserver.com/'path-to-blog'/wp-content/themes/'themename'

The parts placed in single quotes are specific to your server.

If you are able to locate you title tag in the header.php file you can try replacing it with the following:
Code:
<title>
<?php wp_title(' '); ?>
<?php if(wp_title(' ', false)) { echo '&raquo;'; } ?> 
<?php bloginfo('name'); ?>
</title>
I wrote this post after midnight and I was a little screen weary so if you need clarification or have questions you can post her.

Old 3rd September 2006, 11:59 PM   #24
TMCG

Default wow

i'm totally lost. i have absolutely no clue how to navigate around my site. lol

how much does it cost for someone to like...do this stuff and show me just how to manage it?

i'm tired.

my site is noobdogs.com

it's not loading right - host is working on that.

i have my forums phpbb - set up as a seperate link that set up as a subdomain on my host panel and that site does not load correctly either.
right now, i can't access my admin panel there.

i have emails to host and i have been on phpbb forums trying to get answers there regarding a mod that i must upload that i have no idea how to...

plus, i do not know how to place ads on my current site or basically do anything with the site.

TMCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 04:26 PM   #25
lunartcorp

I am currently using both. I started with Blogger but I moved to WordPress after realizing about some benefits. I continue using Blogger to duplicate the content that I post in WordPress. Just to have more chances to get traffic from different places to my website.

One of the advantages that I found using WordPress is that you can setup categories (which is also a disadvantage if you want to use AdSense because it get lost when trying to figure out what are you writing about). If you keep categories within same area, it is going to be fine but if you write about different things, AdSense might pick the wrong advertising for the post that is being read. Anyway, categorization is an advantage over Blogger.

Another advantage of WordPress is there are many templates out there for your blog and they are easy to manipulate. At least, easier than Blogger.

One more thing that I like more in WordPress is that I could install it under my domain, which gives more exposure to my website so it gets more more possibility to be found.

Last edited by lunartcorp; 11th October 2006 at 07:41 PM.
lunartcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2006, 11:30 AM   #26
fairdoes
VIP Contributor

Thumbs up

This thread raises all sorts of interesting questions!

lunartcorp said-
Quote:
I continue using Blogger to duplicate the content that I post in WordPress. Just to have more chances to get traffic from different places to my website.
Is there a danger of being penalised for duplicating the same content?

Blogger in beta now lists your posts as a seperate page, AND under the tag/label. I'm starting to notice good entry page results for labels (categories on WordPress) that have several posts, especially from Google and MSN.

lunartcorp said-
Quote:
One more thing that I like more in WordPress is that I could install it under my domain, which gives more exposure to my website so it gets more more possibility to be found.
If WordPress ever change their tune, would all your posts be backed up on your server? If so, you seem to be on to a winner!

I suspect a thread on the whole ethics and 'best practice' of blogging would be useful. I'm too much of a newbie to start it ...

fairdoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2006, 07:10 AM   #27
TheIntroducer

I opted for Wordpress and like it, but agree about the comments on categories. For some reason I have a number of posts that go into the supplemental results. Sometimes people get a direct hit on one of the articles in my blog, but because its in supplemental the search engine sometimes sends them to a category rather than the specific post.

I do like Wordpress though and it would take a lot of convincing for me to move away from it.

TheIntroducer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2006, 10:24 PM   #28
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairdoes View Post
If WordPress ever change their tune, would all your posts be backed up on your server? If so, you seem to be on to a winner!
It's not a matter of WordPress "changing their tune." WordPress is not a company or organization. It's open source software that you can download and install on your own server. Once you install it, it's yours. It uses your own MySQL database. Your posts are on your server to start with.

There is a WordPress.com site where you can sign up for a free, externally-hosted blog that uses the WordPress platform. However, since it's exernally hosted, there are limitations on what you can do in terms of formatting and setup, and your posts would be housed on the WordPress.com server, not your own.

If their hosting account will support it, I recommend people who want to use WordPress should install the software on their own server.

The software download and user documentation is available at WordPress.org.

--Torka

Old 17th October 2006, 10:13 AM   #29
kell

I vote for Wordpress!

kell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 08:10 AM   #30
fairdoes
VIP Contributor

Torka, that's really helpful (and timely). I've just changed from a naff webhost that didn't support databases (or much of anything) and the new host, which guarantees 99.9% uptime, supports every conceivable thing!

I'm gradually coming around to the view that anything that's hosted elsewhere and is free is likely to be unreliable, so I'll be looking at wordpress.ORG pretty soon!

I'm still wondering about duplicate postings ...

fairdoes is offline   Reply With Quote