Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th April 2006, 02:15 AM   #1
syrup

Default Not for profit thrift store?

Hello,
I'm new here and I'm enjoying reading alot of posts. I don't know if this is where I can post a question or not, so I'll try.
I'm currently a eBay seller and have been for 4 years now and I'm thinking of moving on to bigger and better things. My Mom and I are wanting to open a thrift store. If we decide to go not for profit, does anyone know how much has to be donated to a chairty, I've heard 7%, but not sure. And.. if we decide to do for profit, can you still call yourself a thift store?
Thanks for you help!

syrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th April 2006, 03:09 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

You'll want to discuss your non-profit or not-for-profit status with a qualified tax professional. There are specific tax qualifications that may apply depending on the type of organization you plan to start. You can begin with http://www.irs.gov/charities/index.html for some basic information, but to avoid getting in potential trouble with the IRS, you really must consult with a professional.

I know thrift shops are generally run by charities, but I'm not sure if that's a legal requirement in any way. My gut feeling is that you can use the name "thrift shop" even if you are a for-profit, but I honestly don't know for sure. I've never really heard of any rule that says you can't, but that doesn't mean such a rule doesn't exist.

Again, your best bet would be to consult with a lawyer or tax professional to be sure.

Yes, it's not free to do so, but it's a lot cheaper and easier in the long run than paying a ton of IRS penalties for having forgotten to cross a "t" or dot an "i" in your paperwork somewhere along the line.

--Torka

Old 9th April 2006, 04:22 PM   #3
Maverick
VIP Contributor

Default Maverick says... Maybe A Foundation is What You Need!

Syrup,

Last edited by Maverick; 15th June 2006 at 01:49 PM.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote