Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Newsletters and Email Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th September 2009, 11:35 AM   #1
4ndr3w
VIP Contributor

Send a message via AIM to 4ndr3w

Default E-mail Marketing Myths Which Should Have Died Years Ago

From my friend and former co-worker Al Iverson:

Using "ADV:" in your subject line. That bill never even passed. It's true. If you think you have to put ADV: in your subject line, what you're doing is wrong on many different levels, and suggests that you're not all that familiar with CAN-SPAM or permission best practices.

Whatever you do, don't use Microsoft Word-generated HTML in your email. Just don't -- trust me on this one. Unless you love really complex content filtering issues that are hard to resolve. Word generates bloated and weird HTML code; it doesn't render well in a lot of instances, and you'll regret it. Simple is better when generating HTML code for use in emails.

A list seller: "We offer only the finest data..." Now if only email deliverability was as easy as postal deliverability... If somebody says they have a list for sale, run away screaming. Getting your mail delivered successfully depends on whether or not recipients recognize your mail and want to hear from you. A bought list means you fail both of those tests.

Much more at Al's delivery blog Spamresource.com - a must-read for anyone thinking of starting an e-mail advertising program.

Last edited by 4ndr3w; 17th September 2009 at 11:37 AM.
4ndr3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th September 2009, 01:38 AM   #2
mattcarpet
VIP Contributor

Some good information you provided here, I've looked at html by word and it is a tad weird/bloated though I've never tested it's cross browser compatibility, so as a designer I second that part for sure, well I second the not buying email list too but more because of ethical concerns.

Summer Logo Special Now in Effect
mattcarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 07:11 AM   #3
rvnet

Good point!

List owners should know the following:

* Be careful when choosing WYSIWYG html editors while creating html email.

* Don't use javascripts or other complex codes in html emails.

* Always there is a possibility that your subscriber may not enabled the 'html display' option in their email client. So offer 'Text' option email too.

Old 10th December 2009, 06:38 PM   #4
susridpa

You have an awesome collection of stuff and den, where exactly does your display case sit?

susridpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 07:49 PM   #5
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

From what we have seen, the plain text mail has a far better chance of getting through the filters.

Create your article; post in on your site or blog; send your e-mail with a simple link to that page.

I think it's far better to get through to your reader than worry about the stats that you can get using HTML e-mail. The stats are in the results (if you're selling)

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 05:42 PM   #6
OC CPA

Thanks for the info. What do you suggest about contacting small businesses for the first time to market your services. You think they may be in need so you contact them via email for the first time. does this work at all for attracting clients.

OC CPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 07:16 PM   #7
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Quote:
You think they may be in need so you contact them via email for the first time. does this work at all for attracting clients.
I wouldn't. First of all, it could (would) be considered as spam. But most would not open them. I wouldn't.

Although e-mail is a great way to communicate, it is NOT suggested as the first method of contact. As far as I am concerned, I wouldn't even open the mail.

Do you have a website for your business? If you do, you can set up Opt-in e-mail system and then stay in touch and build relationships with your prospects easily and at a very, very low cost.

Remember, there isn't any single one way to market that is best for every single business. Now, maintaining contact and developing your relationships is a different question. To start, you may want to look at flyers, postcards or even radio or other methods. Drive them to your website where you can collect e-mail.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote