Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Computer Software
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st December 2005, 04:21 PM   #1
Linda
VIP Contributor

Default Small Business Web Shopping Cart Software: 7 Reasons Hosted Is Better

This one is about the benefits of OpenSource shopping cart for your site.

"Why should you pay for a remotely hosted shopping cart for your small business website, rather than just install a free OpenSource shopping cart on your site?"

Catch it @ http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/ar...re/003397.html

How many of you have used the OpenSource shopping cart? Is it really better for a small business?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th December 2005, 01:15 PM   #2
esearing
VIP Contributor

I have used the OSC cart for several applications. Its biggest feature is customization to look like or coordinate with your site. There are usually additional fees the hosted solutions add on for online credit card processing which are often marked up and that for a new store $100 month might be significant in a business where margins are thin and sales are few. Additionally you are now tied to their merchant bank vs your offline sales credit processing bank, so you may lose some savings at your bank.

The other neat features you can do with open source are limited only by imagination. I've seen add-ons that make product management meet just about any criteria the store owners have. In open source you can control shipping, pricing, taxation, and other features at the product level while most hosted solutions only allow control at the total order level. Multilevel category, subcategory and cross category options are not usually available on hosted solutions, but are unlimited in Open Source as long as the database will support it.

For a really simple store one could always implement a pay-pal cart and only pay only the merchant fees which are competitive with most bank rates.

esearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2005, 04:15 AM   #3
EWB-James

All those are very good points, but hosted applications do have their downfalls.

If you are serious about business the biggest is IP!

Intellectual property can add hundreds of thousands to your business net worth. Because you own it no one can take it from you, try selling a company when the main source of revenue could be halted the moment your service is suspended.

On that note, I would never feel safe if my statistics, product info, and revenue model could dissapear if the hosting company goes down and out, and thousands of them do every year.

If you own your site, cart, and supporting software no one can shut you down! And you can use that IP leverage to start other businesses, or revenue streams.

EWB-James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 11:43 PM   #4
bzElam

I have just begun research for setting up an ecommerce site. I would like to consider tinkering around with an OSC cart. Can someone recommend a site where I can download it.
Thanks!

bzElam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2005, 08:58 AM   #5
codeplacidly

You'll find it at oscommerce.com

hth

Jax

codeplacidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2005, 10:27 AM   #6
bzElam

Thank you I will check it out!

bzElam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2006, 02:46 AM   #7
emanresu

I think it's clear that OSC and hosted shopping cart softwares should be placed in two separate categories. 1. Those who can develop or have a very good knowledge of setting up online stores using code.. and 2. Those who prefer to spend their time developing their business and are better at selling than designing and programming. Open source can be useful for it's customization but are generally full of bugs and most people setting up an online store wouldn't even know how to put it on a server... which they would need to go and pay for anyway.

Last edited by emanresu; 13th January 2006 at 01:16 AM. Reason: spelling error
emanresu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2006, 10:25 AM   #8
Robert
Administrator

Welcome to the forum, emanresu!

Old 13th January 2006, 01:16 AM   #9
emanresu

Thanks Robert!

emanresu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2006, 02:33 PM   #10
StefanT

Send a message via AIM to StefanT Send a message via MSN to StefanT
Default Open Source, hosted or third party solution?

I think open source is great and certainly right for the people who can deal with the tech-setup. While hosted is clearly for the less technicaly inclined. The third group needs someone to run it for them.

All of these have possible problems, with the open source you need lots of backup and the connectivity could always be a problem. Hosted has the problems with smaller firms going out of business. The last option is also problematic, if people leave jobs, etc.

I think the basic question has to be what you can and want to do yourself.

StefanT is offline   Reply With Quote