Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th April 2008, 07:35 AM   #1
Mach 9

Default XHTML 1.1 And HTML 4.01 Strict.. The Real Difference

Ok, for all you w3c compliancy freaks (like us) there are different theories behind using one or the other. HTML gives you a bit more flexibility but xhtml is more rigid and xml based. Supposedly, XHTML isnt supported by all the browsers. So if thats the case, why are people using a standard thats not supported across the entire browser set.. ..

Lets talk about the major differences between the 2.. I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Jeremy

Mach 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 29th April 2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Sporkman
VIP Contributor

It confuses me. I think of it all as "html"...

Sporkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 11:35 AM   #3
pete
VIP Contributor

I've never given ompliance more than a fleeting moment of thought. I put them up and let them go. Sales keep coming, so I keep cutting and pasting templates and move on.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 05:20 PM   #4
Narhir

Send a message via ICQ to Narhir Send a message via MSN to Narhir Send a message via Yahoo to Narhir Send a message via Skype™ to Narhir

Mach9 sorry to say you that but you look like you dont know what your talking about ?)

In simplest way as possible I will explain the difrence :P

in HTML 4
- images, layout elements, formating of text etc everythink is IN ONE FILE for each of subpage on your website and makes it very very messy and not clean

in xHTML 1 (strict / transitional )
- xHTML was re written in XML strict xHTML is more rygoristic but transitional is almost like HTML 4 but a lot better personally Im always trying to use strict xHTML
- your code is CLEAN work faster design parts of website is in CSS file not mixed up with html
- thanks to that all your layout is in CSS it loads only ONCE
- thanks to that all your text formating is in CSS files you can change only formating things in CSS file and you change on all pages in HTML 4 you will have to do that page per page
- a lot easier to implement any CMS like wordpress / joomla / or what ever

xHTML and HTML is supported by ALL BROWSERS but difrent browsers read difrent things in difrent way.. and we love Microsoft.. anyway any page can be dispalyd in same way on all browsers

Narhir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 02:23 AM   #5
mobiHolly

For mobile sites xhtml is the only way to go, but the deal is this: write the doctype and code as xhtml but save the file as html since some of your visitors are still coming in with IE6 which I have been told does not recognize files saved as .xhtml, only .html at the end of the filename.

Of course, if the page is php you'll still want to save the filename with .php at the end, but I would still recommend any "html" code to be written as xhtml within the file.

Last edited by mobiHolly; 29th June 2008 at 02:25 AM.
mobiHolly is offline   Reply With Quote