Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > Reviews
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th September 2011, 07:56 AM   #1
EricB
VIP Contributor

Default Please Give Me Feedback On My Site

Hello All,

I would really appreciate feedback on my website and even the idea of the website.

I am intentionally not giving a description of the site to make sure when someone visits it they can tell just from the homepage of the site.

HeresYourSchedule.com

I realize the site is not very flashy, because I was more focused on getting the functionality of the website down as I was building it.

Thank you in advance

EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th September 2011, 09:51 AM   #2
SanWay
VIP Contributor

for me it is too much blue color here...you should add other colors too! and make your content wider...

SanWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 10:02 AM   #3
EricB
VIP Contributor

Thanks for your input SanWay. As you can probably guess I like the color blue. I didn't even realize that's pretty much the only color I used. I'll try experimenting with different colors to make it look nicer. As far as the content being wider, do you know what your screen resolution is? I can make the margins a bit smaller if it looks squished.

Thanks again! Keep it coming

Old 20th September 2011, 02:32 PM   #4
melissacatwalk

I think it is empty and needs some more content and may be some adverts to make the site alive as it looks a bit dead and not active

Old 20th September 2011, 08:02 PM   #5
EricB
VIP Contributor

Thanks for the advice melissacatwalk. I was planning on adding in ads to the site once I get some more visitors. I see what you mean about adding more content though. I was thinking of adding in a blog to increase the content, but I want to make sure that I have useful content rather than just content for the sake of content. Once I figure how to do that, life will be good!

Also, I took your advice SanWay and made it a little less blue. I figured I could make that change pretty easily while I work on developing more content for the homepage.

Old 20th September 2011, 08:28 PM   #6
Logan
Administrator

Hi Eric, here is a tool you can use that can be helpful in selecting and identifying complimentary colors to use within your design

http://www.colorschemetools.net/colorschemegenerator/

I encourage you to create a good professional design for yourself and then also provide a white label version others can use with their own website design. That could be a key point for a business if they could make it look like their company website. Just an idea.

I wouldn't put a bunch of ads or content on the site.

Learn about search engine optimization, starting with writing unique title tags. Then you need to consider how you are going to promote the website. Adding content, with a blog perhaps, might be an option. Writing articles could be another option. Videos on Youtube, facebook, twitter, etc.

I'd finish up working on the overall design/look without adding a bunch of content and ads that are going to detract from people using what you have built.

Old 20th September 2011, 11:23 PM   #7
kalyptra

hello eric, i understand why you are not focusing on the web design as i can see you are just starting.

but i think you can attract more business managers if your site looks professional and not just a project made by students. i am not saying your site looks exactly like a project, it's just that your design stayed on the safe side, not trying some other things attractive to the eye. color combinations can do the trick.Try more opacity effects.

as of content, yes, a forum or blog would make your site busy. but i think you already have something like that in mind.

just keep on doing what you have started. i think the concept behind this site is superb. keep this up, i will visit your site again to see how you could improve it more.

kalyptra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 07:55 AM   #8
EricB
VIP Contributor

Hi Logan,

Thanks for the link to that tool. I played around a little bit with it last night, seems pretty helpful for testing out color schemes. One question I have is what did you mean by "I encourage you to create a good professional design for yourself and then also provide a white label version others can use with their own website design." Do you mean for me to improve the look of my site to make it look more professional and also have another version that small businesses can incorporate right into their site? I'm not sure how to do that but I think it might be a pretty good idea though.

I actually already have unique title tags on all my pages, I think I might need to change them around though. For instance I have "HeresYourSchedule.com | Login" but maybe I should change it to "Login | HeresYourSchedule.com" so Login does not get cut off in the tab. I guess for SEO it wouldn't matter, but for people using my site it might make a difference just changing the order of the titles. I've been thinking of building up some more videos on Youtube as well and have started submitting articles to Ezine. I just launched the site Sept 15th so I haven't been able to do a bulk of the SEO stuff until now. I personally think I might be better off trying to go to local businesses to see if they would be interested in using it. It helps it's free so at least I don't have to really try to sell something.

What's interesting is I actually asked in a separate thread about SEO strategies for sites that don't have a lot of content. Besides a blog, I don't really see an opportunity to add content without making it look like I'm just adding in fluff.

Hi kalyptra,

Thank you for your input. When I first thought of the idea I had no website experience so I taught myself HTML, CSS etc. through w3schools.com. I actually built most of this website using just Notepad and playing around with html, so that's why it looks like a project made by a student. I think you are correct in that in order to attract business managers the site needs a more professional look to it. Now that I have all the functionality of the site complete I should focus more on the design. I'll work around with colors and opacity effect. It's good to hear the concept of my site is good, but I think everyone has confirmed what I already knew...I need to make my site look more like a professional site. By the way, I like the way your site layout looks. I'll be looking around for websites that teach that so if anyone knows of any free ones, feel free to throw them my way

Old 21st September 2011, 10:03 AM   #9
Logan
Administrator

Quote:
Do you mean for me to improve the look of my site to make it look more professional and also have another version that small businesses can incorporate right into their site? I'm not sure how to do that but I think it might be a pretty good idea though.
Yes, it takes some programming but it isn't as hard as it may sound. Focus on getting yours in place first, and put it on a list of ideas for later.

Regarding SEO, I don't consider Login really a title tag as people don't search for that. Keywords people search for should be in your title tags, based on the content on the page. For starters, I would make your home page title tag include keywords similar to [Free Online Work Schedules] as you have that in your signature link. Just real basic starting points for seo.

Quote:
It helps it's free so at least I don't have to really try to sell something.
You may end up surprised how difficult it can be to even give away something for free. See Chris Anderson's book "FREE: The Future Of A Radical Price" for helpful information on marketing free products, services and information. It should give you some ideas how you can monetize and market it in other ways than SEO.

Old 21st September 2011, 10:32 AM   #10
EricB
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Regarding SEO, I don't consider Login really a title tag as people don't search for that. Keywords people search for should be in your title tags, based on the content on the page. For starters, I would make your home page title tag include keywords similar to [Free Online Work Schedules] as you have that in your signature link. Just real basic starting points for seo.
Excellent point! Thanks for the tip! I guess that's what they mean by unique tags. I found my project for tonight.

I'm very glad I posted a review up in this forum, so many good suggestions from everyone.