Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd July 2014, 02:56 PM   #1
andyrob

Default I'm Stuck, Need A Push...or Just Some Good Advice

Iím a financial professional who just recently began writing articles on personal finance on CNBC.com, but Iím stuck on how to promote them. The readers are definitely my audience; however the purposes of my articles are show the audience I'm an expert in my field in an attempt to drum up new business. Again, Iím stuck on how I can market them more effectively to my local community. I use Facebook, LinkedIn, email blasts, and Twitter to promote them but I'm stuck on what to do next. CNBC is one of the top sites people turn to for financial advice and I'm fortunate to be published with them, I just need some guidance on how to capitalize on this. I was hoping someone can throw some knowledge my way. Any guidance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by andyrob; 23rd July 2014 at 09:29 AM.
andyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 24th July 2014, 10:21 AM   #2
bjay99

Focus on offline activities like speaking events, meetups, and etc. At these events, you can get the audience to follow, Retweet you, and etc...

bjay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 01:06 PM   #3
NK=

Are you wanting your existing community to join you at CNBC or are you wanting to generate leads from CNBC to join your community?

NK= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 08:36 AM   #4
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

You're probably going to have to create some kind of funnel. It sounds as if your reach is national or even global, but you want to turn that into local results.

First, I would suggest finding some way to work on a wider scale. And of course, you need a site or blog. When your articles create interest, people can go to your site and read more from you.

If you could sell your knowledge through ebooks, you would strengthen the interest. Then perhaps you could hold seminars (online or off) or sell consulting hours (or whatever is pertinent to your field). Perhaps you could consult over the phone, or sell an e-course through email. These types of actions will make use of any interest or leads you get that are outside your immediate area.

Then locally, make sure you are listed on Google Places and other places where local people would be looking for you. The more places you can be found, the more chances of getting business. The visibility will create streams of people coming your way and every trickle can be optimized. Over time it will build.

Hope this helps and fits your situation somewhat!

DeniseTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2014, 04:25 PM   #5
SuperContractor

Default AdWords campaign geo-targeted to your community

Consider an AdWords campaign geo-targeted to the cities you wish to target. The landing page should have a copy of your article, something like "As seen on CNBC," it would trigger of the key words of your product. The landing page should have a call to action like sign up for a local seminar, or get more information.

Also consider a direct mail campaign to the neighborhoods near year, with a copy of the article.

Hope that helps,
Adam

SuperContractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 08:54 PM   #6
tzzrd

Definitely create your own site/blog. When they read your articles, they can then go to your blog to hear more about what you have to say. Email list as well. CNBC should also give you a dofollow link to your site. That should help.

In terms of promotion, well, a popular idea is 10/90 : 10% of time spent writing and 90% marketing. I think you should target certain demographics. For example, if your article is about managing fixed social security income, then you would of course target 60+ year old people and whatever sites they like to visit.

tzzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 11:11 PM   #7
Hoplite

You say you're using Facebook. Are you using paid advertising on FB? I ask because you can really use it to target your ideal demographic (geotargeting, etc). Make sure you've made the most of your free Google+ and Yelp accounts.

Hoplite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 11:20 PM   #8
jeffscott
VIP Contributor

Its not just marketing your product and services you need to study your targeted audience behavior to be able to provide them what they need and expectations.

jeffscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 07:55 PM   #9
Rewardster

Hello andyrob,

It's always easier to work a puzzle backwards than forwards.

Start with listing the results you would like to achieve, then from those results list what kind of customers/clients could give you those results, then start researching where those customers congregate (be it on the Internet or in the real-world). Once you know where to find your customers, research the mediums that those places of congregation are exposed to. Once you know what mediums to use, you can start developing the types of content that your customers would be most interested in.

If you'd like to post the results you're trying to achieve, and please be specific, I'm sure there are many people here that can help you work the puzzle backwards.

To your success!

Rewardster is offline   Reply With Quote