Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st November 2006, 11:40 AM   #1
JGAviator

Default Online Marketing For A Local B&M Store

I'm into a new venture. I recently purchased a tanning salon for an investment. It's a nice salon, been around for over 20 years. Thing is that it's in the dark ages on web marketing (not that I'm on the cutting edge or anything). However, I would like to see what kind of business I can get from doing online marketing. Obviously people in China, other states, and other cities/towns aren't going to drive miles to get to a tanning salon. So I am wondering about what kind of online marketing do you suggest that focuses on local markets?

Thanks,

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 1st November 2006, 11:56 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

To get you started off ...

Google Local Listings
https://www.google.com/local/add/login?hl=en-US&gl=US

Google AdWords
https://adwords.google.com/support/b...ic.py?topic=21

Yahoo Local Sponsored Search
http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/local/ls.php

Yahoo Enhanced Listings
http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/local/ll.php

Also ... consider online yellow pages -

SuperPages

InfoUSA

Overall, local is limited because of the audience size. You can target very accurately based on geo location though based on my experiences. Adjust your expectations down considerably though - as the pool is so much smaller. At the same the budget needed is usually considerably less. Based on my experiences, the primary focus should be honing in on a developing a good/solid Adwords campaign with geo targeting.

Another option, which I have had direct experiences with as well-

Reach Local
This ones a bit different. They manage your local ppc campaigns. They run thru Adwords, Yahoo and a mirage of other 'good' ppc programs. Good service - ask for Eli - and they provide one benefit the others don't. They provide tracking of conversions based on both your website contacts AND phone calls. Not a typical suggestion, but one I suggest considering if you want someone to do it for you with a lot of experiences in hand. The costs are related to your ppc campaign and not service fees as they make money through managing many accounts and the ppc spend they make. A good route to consider seriously based on my experiences.

Big question? How are you going to track conversions and measure 'success'. That's the first step to figure out imo. There is more to consider as well, including optimizing your web site pages for your geographic and keyword terms. Much more... but for starteres this should get anyone 'going'.

Old 1st November 2006, 12:02 PM   #3
JGAviator

Logan,

Thanks for the quick response/help, as usual

My first thought on tracking conversions was the following:

- Internet coupon on my website: If one comes in, then I know that it converted.

- New client cards: The previous owner had/has an industry-specific database of over 4000 clients. Though I won't know if they are new because they just happened by, but on the client card, I can have a "how did you hear about us" section.

Thanks

Old 1st November 2006, 12:03 PM   #4
Logan
Administrator

One comment regarding coupons -

Printable Online Coupons w/ Google

I haven't played with that one yet, but something that has been introduced recently!

Congrats on your new venture!!

Old 1st November 2006, 12:18 PM   #5
JGAviator

thank you kindly... I'll have to change my pic to me in a tank top instead

Old 9th December 2009, 09:23 PM   #6
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Jim,
What kills me about your service is that it's a repeat service. You just can not walk away from your existing clients. Not that you are doing that intentionally.. but by NOT following up with them, you are leaving them out in the marketplace to try some other shop.

Here's what I am saying....
- I visit your website.. I am ALREADY qualified because I am there. Otherwise, I wouldn't search for your site or click to it.

- Over 98% of first time visitors leave without taking action. That's a lot of visitors making your website click dust!

- Make them an offer that they can not resist! Coupon? Discount? Online Only Special?

- Capture their e-mail address with Opt in e-mail

- Market to them on an ongoing basis. When I say market to them, don't wach them over the head with deals every week... offer free info; product reviews; new product releases; do's and don't tips; any information that your target audience wants to hear about.

- Every so often or in the PS. of your e-mail marketing, drop a deal. Don't make it the focus of your message; just add it on the bottom.

Ask yourself this; If you have 1,000 clients, how many times do you 'touch' each of them?? Truth is, you can't afford to. On line with a good marketing strategy to use e-mail, build your list. The EASIEST person to sell is the one you have already sold.

You're tripping over yourself to get new customers... when you have a bunch of old ones that just need to know you care.

Hope this helps!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 05:07 AM   #7
David Morson

Thinking of an online marketing fro a local business is what may I say "Stupidity". Analyze your business and then choose the best marketing tool for your business.

David Morson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 01:23 AM   #8
basudec19

Default Hope this will help you.

I would like to give you few ideas about marketing ::::::::

- I visit your website.. I am ALREADY qualified because I am there. Otherwise, I wouldn't search for your site or click to it.

- Over 98% of first time visitors leave without taking action. That's a lot of visitors making your website click dust!

- Make them an offer that they cannot resist! Coupon? Discount? Online Only Special?

- Capture their e-mail address with Opt in e-mail

- Market to them on an ongoing basis. When I say market to them, don't wach them over the head with deals every week... offer free info; product reviews; new product releases; do's and don't tips; any information that your target audience wants to hear about.

You're tripping over yourself to get new customers.

Hoping your business runs even better then ever.

basudec19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 02:22 AM   #9
Cindy16

Go for local listings.. and turbo charge your social media marketing esp Facebook.. Do local targeting too when posting in Facebook.

Cindy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 04:16 PM   #10
lnunemaker

Send a message via ICQ to lnunemaker Send a message via AIM to lnunemaker

I totally second Google Local Listings. Managing it helped us rise in search against a competitor.

Also second email marketing. There's no reason not to.

I just skimmed, but I didn't notice anyone mention FourSquare. You can add specials to it for free that people will see as they're browsing local businesses.
http://foursquare.com

Laura

lnunemaker is offline   Reply With Quote