Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Selling Ad Space
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th December 2004, 01:28 PM   #1
Robert
Administrator

Default The Most Hated Advertising Techniques

This article is worth a review and consideration when deciding what type of (and how much) advertising you will accept on your site:

The Most Hated Advertising Techniques

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20041206.html

Snippet:
Studies of how people react to online advertisements have identified several design techniques that impact the user experience very negatively.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th December 2004, 02:27 PM   #2
divshow
VIP Contributor

I would have voted for all those also!

Old 6th December 2004, 03:02 PM   #3
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I think we can all learn a lesson from Google in that relevant text ads that are labeled as such are the best converters. It works well for them and it works very well for thousands of AdSense publishers, myself included!

Old 6th December 2004, 04:19 PM   #4
Robert
Administrator

With graphic ads you really do need to find a balance between what your users can handle and what your advertisers want.

I'm finding many advertisers are very interested in the branding that graphics can bring. Text ads can be used for branding too, but I don't hear many advertisers mentioning that.

One really nice thing about Google's AdSense program is that it can give you a baseline on how much each "square inch" (for lack of a better term) of ad space on each page should fetch.

Old 6th December 2004, 04:50 PM   #5
divshow
VIP Contributor

If you are going to put advertising on your site I think Adsense is the way to go...or like they are listed on this site. The most aggravating thing to me is on MSN (which I use as my home page) when the big pop up ad comes up and I can't see the news headlines I was wanting to see. Then you spend time locating the CLOSE button that is so transparent you need above 20/20 vision to see it!

Old 6th December 2004, 06:25 PM   #6
bragadocchio
VIP Contributor

The ads I hate the most, popups or not, are the ones that play off the fears of people viewing them.

You've possibly seen them.

The ones that warn people that their computer is at risk since it is broadcasting an IP address, or that their computer is infected with spyware.

I've had a few people come running to me in panic over those ads.

Old 7th December 2004, 01:48 PM   #7
David Wallace

It is true that graphical ads can be good for branding. How many of us have seen the X-10 camera ads or ads for Classmates.com? However, they need to have a huge advertising budget because they need to buy lots and lots of impressions over a long period of time to have an effective branding effort IMO.

I have never clicked on the countless thousands of X-10 ads I have seen but if I wanted to buy one, I would probably search for their site first because they are synonymous in my head for tiny web cams. It also took a long time before I ever decided to click on a Classmates.com ad to check it out.

Old 7th December 2004, 09:47 PM   #8
thejenn

Send a message via AIM to thejenn

Tastefully done graphic ads can be great for branding. I don't know how many of you have Chipotle's near enough that you see their advertising, but it's very simple and does outstanding branding. I'm very surprised that I haven't seen their ads start to pop up online. I think ads of that style can do a great job of building up awareness without annoying people to all getout.

(You can see samples on their web site: http://www.chipotle.com/ (click on play)

Audio ads seem to be the new pop-up. About.com started introducing them on their site when I was still writing for them and I HATED them. Now I get them all the time on some of the sites I frequent. (BabyCenter is a HUGE offender.) There's nothing worse than happily surfing away in a nice quiet room and then WHAMMO! Audio files coming from who knows where scare the heck out of you! It's obnoxious and unlike pop-up ads, the only way to avoid them is to turn your sound off. Personally, I like having my sound on, I might want to listen to a CD or something while I work and I do not appreciate having some audio ad superceed my CD while I'm browsing. :-P

thejenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2004, 09:55 PM   #9
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Audio ads...
I haven't run into any yet, but that would drive me nuts.