Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Selling Ad Space
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd September 2004, 03:48 PM   #1
darnoc

Default Google Adsense

I'd be curious to get some feedback on what kind of revenue can be generated by adding Google to a site. I am more than a bit concerned about having competitors ads showing up on my site in Adsense ads but I suppose if it were generating reasonable revenue I might be interested.

Anyone able to give me any feedback on this?

Last edited by darnoc; 3rd September 2004 at 03:50 PM.
darnoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 3rd September 2004, 05:21 PM   #2
neofelis

I have read that it has a lot to do with how much traffic you get to your web site. Unless you get thousands of hits per month (or per day if you're very popular) it does not make a lot of sense, since such a low percentage of people who visit your site will actually click on the ads.

It also does not make sense if you are trying to sell something, since (as you mentioned) there is the possibility that you will be advertizing for your competitors.

When you are in the business of dispensing free information or advice, then it is not such a bad thing if someone leaves your site via a Google ad and you get to make a bit of money in the process.

Here's an article with more info about AdSense that mentions pros and cons: Google Adsense Review

Last edited by neofelis; 3rd September 2004 at 05:24 PM.
neofelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2004, 06:38 PM   #3
Robert
Administrator

Welcome to the forum darnoc!

I run an information site that does pretty well with AdSense. One thing that I found makes a difference is the location of the ad box on a page. For example, on pages with articles, I'll place the ad box at the bottom of the page under the article. This way when someone finishes reading the article there will be a contextually relevant link waiting for them to click. Of course, the AdSense system isn't perfect, but the ads are generally related to the topic of the article.

If I were running a site with the primary purpose of selling something, I'm not sure I'd use AdSense. Instead, I'd want to use the space to draw a visitor's attention to the items I'm selling. Using the example above, I'd place links to related items that I sell at the end of the articles.

I'd love to hear from those that effectively use AdSense on a product/service oriented site as opposed to an information oriented site.

(Just as a reminder for those that use AdSense and repond to this thread; it is a violation of the AdSense Terms of Service to discuss specific dollar amounts, etc. Remember to speak in general terms if you discuss amounts earned.)

Last edited by Robert; 3rd September 2004 at 06:42 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2004, 12:46 AM   #4
Christian_SEO

Default Makes sense to add it

Almost any site that has some traffic can make some money with AdSense, and it's such an easy system to work with, it's just about perfect.

You can block competitor's ads from showing on your site, but while it's common for people to worry about this, I tell people not to. If you are that afraid to stand next to your competitors, you have more serious problems than letting a few of their ads on your site.

If someone clicks and finds a better deal, then your business model needs some work.

If someone clicks on a competitor's ad and buys from them, you still made some money, and there was NO overhead, no time, no effort to make it.

If they click on a competitor's ad, then return and buy from you, guess what? You just got a "tip" from them.

We fear no competitor, so it's easy for us to say. Not that we get all the business that comes are way, but we never did. Now we get some bucks from the traffic that was going to leave anyway.

Every site gets traffic that's not well targeted. I actually think that sites that are really messed up do the best with adsense, since once the people get to the baseball card site, the colors or the blinking banners make them look for the exit door, and guess what? AdSense is a nice looking exit.

And if you have a high traffic site, I have heard that you can do very, very well and that explains why you see the ads on some pretty large commercial sites. The other think that affects revenue is the site topic. Things like auto sales, mortgages, credit cards, and so on are very competive and the ad bidders pay quite a bit. Things like baseball cards, sewing needles, and potholders are not going to be bidding as much and that site will make less on the same traffic level, generally speaking.

Also, we are using the AdSense search and like it quite a bit. The money is MUCH less than adsense, but it also takes no effort to have it, so we are going to keep it.

Christian_SEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2004, 12:09 PM   #5
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie
Thanks for clarifying Ad Sense vs Ad Words... I have used the PPC Ad Words so I guess I was referring to Ad Sense when I wrote the question... still don't understand how one puts them (Ad Sense) on one's site? I guess the purpose is to gain more traffic? But again, why would you place competitors ads on your site?
Valerie had asked the questions above in another thread so I've moved them here to provide the answers.

Question 1: How to put AdSense on your site?

To have AdSense ads run on your site, you'll need to sign up for the program with Google. Here is the page to go to: https://www.google.com/adsense/

Once Google approves you for the program you'll have access to the AdSense Publisher area and you'll be able to pick and choose the ad sizes, types and styles that you want t use.

Question 2: I guess the purpose [of AdSense] is to gain more traffic?

No, AdSense will not generate traffic. It is a way of earning revenue from the traffic you already have.

Question 3: Why would you place competitors' ads on your site?

The simple answer is to earn revenue from their ads. But, if keeping direct competitors from appearing in the ads on your site is important, the AdSense program does allow you to specify which sites you do not want to appear.

Old 19th October 2004, 01:19 PM   #6
Valerie

Default Thanks Robert

Thanks again Robert... I appreciate being directed to this thread. I had been looking in the different categories for convos about Adsense, but obviously hadn't found one.

Valerie

Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2005, 01:12 AM   #7
jpatriar

Default Adsense

I placed adsense ads on my sister's Laundry Bag Store Online last June and she's having excellent success from it and it pays for her adword ads to boot.

Last edited by jpatriar; 3rd March 2006 at 07:29 AM. Reason: url update
jpatriar is offline   Reply With Quote