Whenever I join a new forum my first post is to try and add value instead of doing what the norm does, sign-up to ask a question that has already been answered a multitude of times but I digress...
I know you are thinking this is probably another B.S. method or spammy but I assure you this works and I've never shared this secret until now. It's my secret, but it's not a secret per say, many already do it, but it might not have occurred to you to use this method to get work
Everybody loves the pay it forward concept
where you do something for a stranger and ask them to return the favour by doing something for another stranger. The best example I can give is the coffee trend of pay it forward where strangers in the drive-thru will buy the next person in line a coffee. It's a nice gesture when you show up at the window and the cashier tells you coffee is free today compliments of the previous driver. Small gesture that goes a long way towards making someone's day more positive.
What tends to happen is that person now wants to pass on this great feeling to someone else and they start paying for an extra coffee in line and let the cashier know if for the next person.
I know many of you aren't even reading anymore and have already run down to your local coffee shop to get work, but for those of you still wondering how this can translate into getting work read on...
- Forget about the drive-thru
- If you don't have one, get a shirt / jacket / coat - and make sure it has your business name on it and make it obvious what you do. I am a computer tech for example so my coat says Mr. Tech.
- Wear it and go to your favorite coffee shop. It's important that you park and go *inside*
- Best time is during the morning rush hour.
- If it's not busy, wait until you know a line of at least 3 or 4 people will be behind you when it's your turn to order.
- Pay for at least 2 or 3 coffees and make sure the cashier understands that she is to give a coffee to the 2 or 3 people behind you in line and make sure she points to you when they ask why it's free.
- When they turn around and see your coat, odds are one of them will think, hey, I have a computer / plumbing / electrical problem right this moment and I sure could use the help.
- You aren't a stranger anymore, you just bought them a coffee and they said thanks, you said no problem and now you are on friendly terms.
- A stranger is now thinking of hiring you simply because you did a friendly gesture and in turn, he now instantly trusts you to give him a great service call.
- Need more work, rinse and repeat daily until you have too many new clients and you can't handle the work anymore.
- If you get to this point in real life, please buy me a coffee and donate $5 to my PayPal account lol...
It won't always work, not everybody has a problem right there and then. But hey, they saw your name, you might have even handed out a business card or two. Not a bad way to get new work and much cheaper than getting a newspaper or radio ad.
Please comment if you have experience doing this yourself or have an improved method, I would love to hear your best stories. Anyone land a multimillion dollar contract doing this perhaps?