Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Affiliate Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd September 2007, 10:21 PM   #1
Lincoln

Send a message via AIM to Lincoln Send a message via Yahoo to Lincoln
Question Cloaking Affiliate Links: 301 Or 302 Redirects?

Hi all,

I'm currently using PHP redirect files to cloak my affiliate links. I'm doing this for a variety of reasons, including preventing affiliate links from being hijacked, and also so if affiliate links ever change for whatever reason, I only need to change one file.

But now I've been reading that Google may penalize your site if you have too many PHP 302 redirects. Since PHP defaults to 302, should I change it to 301 (permanent) instead to avoid this? I don't need to have these links indexed, but I don't want Google kicking my petoonies because it thinks I'm a spammer either. I made sure all the redirect files are in a specific folder which is disallowed by robots.txt, so would this be enough?

Man, there's always something.

Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd September 2007, 10:37 PM   #2
pete
VIP Contributor

Forget redirects and htaccess. They sort of do the trick, but still show the eventual address, with the affiliate code often showing at the end.

Here is a solution that shows your site address, even when the prospect is on the ClickBank or whatever page. All they ever see is your address and you can set up your links as yourdomain.com/recommends/whatever. Or you can put each coded page in a subdirectory and have a link like productname.lincolnssite.com

Here's a (not affiliate) link www.internetmarketingworx.com/mastermasker

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 11:29 AM   #3
Lincoln

Send a message via AIM to Lincoln Send a message via Yahoo to Lincoln

So far all of my affiliate programs do not show the affiliate links when clicking through my site to theirs, so I'm safe there. If I ever start using ClickBank or affiliates that don't hide links, then I may have to give MasterMasker a look. For now I'm concerned about how Google might perceive these cloaked links.

Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 12:15 PM   #4
pete
VIP Contributor

Whatever Google does today might change tomorrow. The major consideration with Google is whether you are using a standard sales page provided by your soruce. If so, it's going to look at duplicae content and forget the listing.

At this time, Google works well with 301 "permanent" redirects. I have never seen anything regarding a limit on how many you may have.

You could set them up in subdirectories, so there would only be one to each sub, if you are concerned.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote