Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th September 2010, 11:13 PM   #1
ladyrose

Default How Does This Jewelry Business Idea Sound?

Hi. I was wondering what people's thoughts are on a jewelry of the month club? People would get a subscription of 3, 6 or 12 months and pay about $20-$25 a month. They would get a piece of high quality sterling silver jewelry gift wrapped in their mailbox every month. I would only make a few bucks on each order so that the customer is getting something below retail. I would need to make my money in volume.

There are a lot of "of the month" clubs out there and there are a few for jewelry. I have no idea what kind of business they do. Is this something that sounds like it could work? Thanks

ladyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st September 2010, 11:24 AM   #2
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

I have a problem with the fact that I have to sign up and PAY before I actually see anything. I don't see it as a huge business the way you describe it. Sorry.

However... what about this twist. Why not get a mailing list started with the theme being a club.... and every month (week, day, whatever) you release a product at a crazy price! Blast out a message.... and show your list how they can take advantage of that deal. In other words... here's a product. It sells for $XX. As a club member... they have a discount coupon to purchase it for $XX which is a discount. That way... you get ALL the orders for that product all at once.

The downside to this model is that if you're selling something that I don't want... you don't get sales. We used to call that the 'special of the month' club.. .where a vendor only makes sales because of his low, low price on that one item. If I don't want that one item... you have no sales.

But the concept is that I become a member of your site for free. I would want to join so that I can take advantage of your specials and savings. You launch a product for (let's say) a week and give your list a coupon code to get that one product at a special price. You process all the orders at once... maybe get a discount because of some volume (from your suppliers) and fill all the orders. As long as you deliver and deliver the quality you proclaim, people will continue to purchase.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 11:30 AM   #3
jaairey
VIP Contributor

Jewelry choices are very personal. What happens if I signed up and didn't like some of your choices?

jaairey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 11:34 AM   #4
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Jewelry choices are very personal. What happens if I signed up and didn't like some of your choices?
Yeah... I really didn't think about it that way. But the same thing applies. Why would I pay?? Sign me up for free... show me how good your stuff is, and I will purchase! I think you have to look at like I said... as a buyer's club. Nothing to sign up... but you will have one hell of a list!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 11:45 AM   #5
kvetchco

I agree with jaairey and BeTheBest - I hate when I get given jewellery as a gift and I don't have the same taste as the person who's given it to me - I'm unlikely to pay upfront for something I may not like, even if it's a bargain!

Mailing lists are always good - then you can sell to the list.

kvetchco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 10:42 PM   #6
ladyrose

Thank you so much for your responses. It gives me a lot more to think about. I have seen a few of those sites where you sign up to get specials. I like that idea. I have even seen a few facebook fanpages for jewelry businesses that are similar. Thanks again everyone.

ladyrose is offline   Reply With Quote