Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th July 2008, 03:54 PM   #1
oneil

Default Advice On Business Idea

I was talking to a co worker the other day and she expressed how she was glad she turned 50. There were so many benefits for being of the older generation, such as discounted prices. She also expressed how it was hard to find what places such as restaraunts or any business establishment for that matter, that gave discounts to seniors. I have been thinking of a way to create some sort of vehicle that could be a resource for senior citizens to locate different business establishments that gave discounted rates for senior citizens. It would make their life easier as well as increase business for those establishments. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 8th July 2008, 05:49 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

On first impression, I like the overall concept of the idea. A couple thoughts came to mind though. How will these people know where to find this website/information if they do not know that it exists. With that in mind, I did some quick research with WordTracker. I first put in the seed keyword "senior discount". A few search for that, maybe. But if you then put in the seed keyword "discount" and compare those results to the other ... maybe people aren't looking for what you are interested in providing. So that leaves me with the ultimate question, how are you going to get seniors to your information. I like the idea, but some challenges in promoting I suspect. Crack that, and you may have great success though.

Old 8th July 2008, 07:45 PM   #3
WebBizIdeas.com

Send a message via MSN to WebBizIdeas.com Send a message via Skype™ to WebBizIdeas.com
Default Create Your Own Demand

Hi,

I use Wordtracker all the time too but I wouldn't put up a brick wall because no one searches for a subject; create your own demand.

No one searches for Senior Discounts because the majority of internet users are not senior citizens. But over the years that will certainly change as more Baby Boomers who are used to the internet retire.

Plus online coupon websites are becoming VERY VERY POPULAR. Customers & Businesses love them.

You could build two types of website in my mind:

1. Advanced Online Directory / Online Community: A great example is http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/. You could build something similar (scalled down version to be cost effective using www.Esyndicat.com.

2. Online Coupon Submission: A website like www.MyCoupons.com is a great example. Businesses can submit their coupons, users can download the coupons. It is a win win situation because your members/businesses build the site for you. A larger list of online coupon sites can be found here;

http://directory.webbizideas.com/int...on-submission/

I say go for it.

Jeff

Old 9th July 2008, 10:56 AM   #4
oneil

Thanks for the ideas.

Old 18th July 2008, 12:15 PM   #5
oneil

Default online coupon

I am very interested in that idea. How can I get started and how would i drive businesses and customers to my online coupon website.

Old 22nd July 2008, 05:14 PM   #6
oneil

Default online coupon

I do not have a website. I am looking for guidance for starting the online website

Old 23rd July 2008, 10:54 PM   #7
lukejea

That is a pretty good idea. There is probably not much you would need to start a business like that and on top of that it would be very profittable if the location is right. Are you thinking about hiring employees or are you just gonna be a lone ranger?

lukejea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 01:54 PM   #8
Katherine

Hi!

This is a great idea for a niche portal. If you are interested in starting an online directory that consists of easy-to-make mini-sites for businesses that cater to seniors, for example, then check out my signature below

Such a site can also show coupons, but within the more comprehensive information given in each business mini-site. This means more value to the business owner who signs up and pays you every month than simply listing coupons.

I can show you exactly how to set up your portal, get businesses to sign up and then get your message out to the seniors in your community or district. And it is all really cheap to set up, and can make good money. You can run it yourself or hire someone to help you.

If you have any questions, please contact me (email is on the page in my sig). Best of luck with your venture, whether you take me up on the offer or not!

Kind regards,

Katherine

Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2008, 05:03 PM   #9
WebBizIdeas.com

Send a message via MSN to WebBizIdeas.com Send a message via Skype™ to WebBizIdeas.com
Default How to Drive Traffic to Your Online Coupon Site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneil View Post
I am very interested in that idea. How can I get started and how would i drive businesses and customers to my online coupon website.
Hi,

If you build the website correctly the traffic will drive itself! The site will have social networking applications built in. A company can come, register, create a profile, upload their coupons, and basically promote their company.

So, just like what happened with MySpace.com, you will have 1,000's of businesses / people registered on your site promoting their own section...in essence promoting your business for you.

Of course their are SEO tactics you do...you may want to check out our Search Engine Optimization Tutorial on YouTube.com.

Old 9th August 2008, 02:55 PM   #10
Bizdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneil View Post
I have been thinking of a way to create some sort of vehicle that could be a resource for senior citizens to locate different business establishments that gave discounted rates for senior citizens. It would make their life easier as well as increase business for those establishments. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.
I think this is a great idea! I don't get to say that too often, so this is a good, viable idea.

While having a website is essential, don't get hung up on just that aspect of the plan. You need to consider that there are still lots of seniors that shy away from computers. Luckily the up and coming Baby Boomers are much more Internet savvy and will be a good market to tap.

For ideas about starting the website side or your business so to my site below to either the Internet page or the Baby Boomers/Retirees page.

Bizdev is offline   Reply With Quote