Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th October 2007, 10:27 AM   #1
Wayne O

Default Question On Link Exchange!

I am about to start a link exchange campaign and i had a few questions. I was wondering if the site has a pr of 5 on the home page and a low if any pr on the page where the link is indexed matter? Will my link be better on a content page or a link/resources page? if you have any idea's for me i look forward to your replies.

Thanks,

Wayne O is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 24th October 2007, 11:22 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

I would focus on link opportunities that are not exchanges instead, but to answer your questions.... pagerank is not based on the site, but instead the individual page your link is on. Yes it does matter, considerably. I think it is better to have your link on a content page, assuming it is relevant to your site, versus a link page. Low quality links from pages without pr and just a resource page typically are not going to help. Since you will also be linking to these sites, beware that linking to 'bad neighborhoods' of sites may negatively impact your own rankings with google.

Old 24th October 2007, 11:45 AM   #3
Wayne O

Link opportunities? As in like open directory sites?

Old 24th October 2007, 11:47 AM   #4
Logan
Administrator

Yes, directory sites would be one option ... others would include blogs, articles, social sites, etc.

Old 24th October 2007, 12:02 PM   #5
Wayne O

OK, this might be a dumb question. When you talk about blogs, and articles, social sites, etc. When linking to a blog like in my signature or how do you mean?

Old 24th October 2007, 12:07 PM   #6
Logan
Administrator

Linking to your blog in a forum signature would be one way, but typically I would describe it along the lines if you provide good content within blog posts others will notice and link to your posts or blog. See the following thread about Crimson Fox recently starting a blog. By doing so, he was able to get more exposure/links because other bloggers noticed what he was writing about. If he wasn't blogging, others would not have noticed and linked to his blog.

Nice To Be Noticed - Started A New Blog
http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/fo...ad.php?p=55113

Old 24th October 2007, 05:19 PM   #7
Debra

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
I was wondering if the site has a pr of 5 on the home page and a low if any pr on the page where the link is indexed matter?
If the page your link will sit on doesn't have any PageRank showing in the toolbar, you'll want to double check and be sure the page is in the index of the search engines. If it's not, I'd think hard about the page and if it will benefit you by the traffic it will bring in.

Just because the toolbar doesn't register green doesn't mean it's not there. Even the google reps say it presents an inaccurate measurement of pagerank.

Quote:
Will my link be better on a content page or a link/resources page?
I don't think there is a stock answer for this. Links embedded in content areas are thought to accumulate more link popularity as those links usually are added on merit. Meaning - you don't usually see spam links in the middle of someone's content.

So it makes sense to get your links within ontopic subject matter A lot of people write short link embedded articles and offer them to bloggers in their industry as a way to accomplish this.

On the other hand, to be listed on a resource page isn't all bad either provided it doesn't already have a bazillion links and the links on there are on topic. If the links page sits on a highly credible/well known/high pagerank site/page then by all means. But if it's on some joeblows stick-any-link-I-can-here site, then no.

IMO, if your link sits on a page with higher pagerank, all the better. That page will be spidered more frequently and has potential to be visited more often and increase it's pagerank since pagerank is accrued based on the number and quality of the links pointing to it.

Quote:
When you talk about blogs, and articles, social sites, etc. When linking to a blog like in my signature or how do you mean?
Each of these online venues requires a different linking approach. We've already talked about blogs here and in the link Chris (Logan) provided so I'll touch on articles and social sites.

People write articles and do several things with them to attract links. Some people put them in the article directories (search on the term, you'll find them), others build out their sites and issue press releases to annouce their presence. Others offer them to online magazines, newsletters etc. This is content generation with links embedded. There are pluses and minuses to this tactic like any other with duplicate content being the greatest obstacle. Personally, I'm not a fan of sending content away from a site, I like to build out my "libraries" and annouce them to the world using various methods. Good content attracts links and smart webmasters enlist the help of supporters to help spread the message.

We tend to lump a lot of sites under the heading of "social sites" but there are four types primarily:

the social news aggregators like Digg, Fetch, Reddit, Bumpzee, etc. These sites allow the public to vote and comment on stories being submitted by people around the Net. Getting a story "dugg" on Digg can result in thousands of links in a short time. It's not easy however, Digg requires a detailed strategy far greater than I can list here. Suffice to say - register for a Digg account and poke around before you jump in. You can also read up on what our David Wallace has to say about the social media sites as a way to get started

The Social Bookmarking sites are places like Del.icio.us, Flickr, stumbleupon and Ma.gnolia. Basically instead of hosting your bookmarks on your computer, you do it online so the world can share in them. These sites tend to generate traffic which in turn will generate links - provided- you have worthwhile content to link to. Some of them place nofollow on their links and some don't.

Social topical sites are places like LosingIt.com and fastpitch.com where communities of like minded people gather. There are many marketing opportunities here to network and showcase your site for links. A number of these allow links in their profiles, offer directories and newsletters you can write for.

And last but not least at the social networking sites such as Facebook, ecademy and Linkedin. Again, this is a networking opportunity more than anything (although ecademy offers much much more, worth looking at).

I'd add the answer sites as a fifth social site but from my experience I only see traffic from Yahoo Answers.

Of course I did a two second overview on each of these social sites but hopefully enough to give you an idea. Out of all of them I find I get the most traffic from StumbleUpon and the most links from the topical and news aggregator sites. (hint - the topical sites all have newsletters...think links in content!)

Bottom line- social media gives you another outlet to shine and build an audience. But you need that all important content to attract them. Build and then promote it and it will come.

sorry for typos...

Last edited by Debra; 24th October 2007 at 05:22 PM.
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Wayne O

Thank you for the information it was very informative. I will try all this out and see where it takes me. Thank you very much to all the replies

Old 26th October 2007, 11:59 PM   #9
bayinghound

I've had the same questions and these are great insights. Thanks!

bayinghound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 01:45 PM   #10
theawristocrat

Send a message via Skype™ to theawristocrat

Your link will be better on sites related to your niche.

theawristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote