Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th January 2007, 07:52 AM   #1
PavelVet

Default How To Find Out That A Website Is Worth Of Link Exchange?

Hi,
I am new to this forum, so please excuse me if I am asking questions, which were already discussed somewhere before.
I prepared a list of potential link partners I think could be interested in a link exchange and who have similar PR, number of backing links and key words.
What I donít know is how many traffic I might actually get from this link exchange.
Is there any tool, which can tell me amount of traffic a site gets? I know about Alexa.com but I am not sure how reliable the statistic is. Besides it shows data only for a whole domain and not a single page where the link is.

PavelVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 8th January 2007, 09:42 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

You aren't missing anything in particular, and typically people don't question much the traffic they may get from a link exchange. One option, although rare, is that you could ask the site owner directly. Typically link exchanges are low quality, so I wouldn't have high expectations with the vast majority of link exchanges when it comes to traffic.

Old 8th January 2007, 09:46 AM   #3
St0n3y

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Traffic from a link also depends highly on the location of the link. If they are going to put your link on a link page with dozens of other links then you can expect traffic to be relatively small. On the other hand, if they put your link on the home page you're likely to get quite a bit more.

Old 8th January 2007, 11:22 AM   #4
jvance
VIP Contributor

To find out if a site is worthy of a back link to your site, you can try using a tool like http://sitening.com/seo-tools/backlink-analyzer/ (online) or http://tools.seobook.com/backlink-analyzer/ (downloadable)

jvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 05:30 AM   #5
PavelVet

Jvance,
Thanks a lot for the backlink-analyzer tools. I especially like the downloadable one. I believe that from the detailed reports one can deduct a lot of conclusions. I didnít know, for example, that links from .gov and .edu have such a weight because they represent a level of trust to Google.
Now I need some time understand what it all means. Thanks again.

Old 10th January 2007, 04:23 AM   #6
PavelVet

I think I need a bit help with the backlink-analyzer data. What exactly is the "total class C addresses" number for? I found some definition for "class C addresses" but I donít understand what it means for backlink quality.
I donít know either how to interpret number of "unique C block IP addresses"
The last, not that clear term for me is the deep link ration in percent. Does it mean how deep is the page that gets backlinks?

Old 10th January 2007, 12:40 PM   #7
Logan
Administrator

I don't use much myself, but I'll take a stab at a few of those to hopefully help you along.

Quote:
I found some definition for "class C addresses" but I donít understand what it means for backlink quality.[ I donít know either how to interpret number of "unique C block IP addresses"
This refers to a sites IP address which is the numerical reference on the Internet. Every site and computer has one. They are numbers like 11.345.234

In this example 234 would be the c class. And the more links you have coming from different c class ips is generally considered better. For example, if you had a 100 links to your site from a 100 diverse websites that is good. Conversely, if those 100 links came from a network of sites all hosted together ... not so good. The more unique c block ip addresses the better.

Deep link ratio in percent, im guessing but pretty sure, it is the ratio of links go to the home page versus other pages to the site. For example, do all links just go to a sites homepage or do some go to the home page and others go to internal pages of the site.

The last, not that clear term for me is the deep link ration in percent. Does it mean how deep is the page that gets backlinks?