Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th July 2015, 12:04 PM   #1
SouthernBoyTeas

Send a message via Skype™ to SouthernBoyTeas
Default Need Help Forming A Plan Of Action

Hope this isn't too forward of me to jump right into the thick of it, but don't tell me this is a place to give and receive strategy feedback and expect me to keep quiet when I could use some help strategizing. Of course, I am more than willing to return the favor and give any of you some feedback when you ask for it from me.

So, here's my problem: I need to figure out how to convince coffeeshops that it would be worth their while to offer iced teas to their customers with the same care and attention to quality as they do their coffee.

I believe I can make a strong case, if I can bend their ears long enough for them to listen, but I want to know what is the best way to get my message out to them?

Do I create a blog post aimed directly at the coffeehouse industry on my consumer-oriented website?

Do I create a hidden landing page with the content and a lead collector, and hope that coffeehouse owners will stumble across it?

Do I try to write an article for an industry magazine or newsletter about it?

Do I start cold-calling coffeehouses and telling them about our product?

Do I do all of these things and probably one or two more that I haven't thought of?

HOW do I do these things effectively, and in what order?

Hope I didn't just scare everyone off. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

SouthernBoyTeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 9th July 2015, 10:06 AM   #2
Khalid Grant

Hi there, no need to apologize for asking a question, that's what we're here for!

Just took a look at your website, and like the look of it. Got thirsty from the pictures lol.

To convince coffeeshops it is worth their while I think the most appealing information is revenue potential and customer demand. If you can show a coffeeshop that they can make money by adding iced teas to their menu then it should be relatively straightforward to get them to sign up.

You have 1,819 likes on Facebook which is fantastic. These are tea lovers so that number might not sway a coffeeshop owner. I guess the idea would be to ask coffee drinkers whether they would like to have the option of ordering an iced tea. Hot coffee sales should drop in summer which would be an excellent time for you to do the survey and for stores to test the concept. Maybe ask to set up a table outside and offer a choice between the two and see which is most popular.

Khalid Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 11:20 AM   #3
problem solver

Most coffee shop owners work in their business so that's a good place to start. I owned a mobile app company and one of our prospect groups was retail businesses just like coffee shops. We found walking in and talking to the business' decision maker to work well. Your best served to go in on Mondays and Tuesdays and before their morning rush. I hope this helps good luck!

problem solver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2015, 06:20 AM   #4
Taluk

To be honest, This vast line of questions really scares me. I still don't know how to answer all your questions. You already have better ideas than most of us. I think your actions do not need any specific order. You can simply do them simultaneously.

Taluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 12:52 PM   #5
Comm Realtor

"Do I start cold-calling coffeehouses and telling them about our product?"

Yes - but after you use a SHORT pitch, LISTEN FOR THE RESPONSE. Ask a few follow up questions.

Learn from your prospects !!!

Comm Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 04:47 PM   #6
JoshuaJ

Seems like a solid idea. Go full speed ahead with it.

Always listen for a response from your prospects though.

JoshuaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 07:28 PM   #7
CfDoodles

So here is a bold idea....

Find a trendy local coffee shop. Not starbucks. Something own by a local. Ask to speak with the owner. Explain that you have a tea business and would like to know if they would be willing to sell it. But before they say know, tell them that you have a proposition. Tell them that if they give you 3 hours to set up a station or an area that you will share the profits 50/50. Make a deal that if you can make X during the 3 hours that they would be willing to set up a trial run of your product. Gentlemens handshake type of deal. If they agree. Hit up your fanpage, explain exactly what you need, that is them to come out in droves to buy the tea.

CfDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 06:34 PM   #8
Billieg

Wink

I guess you could walk and talk all day but it won't get you a lot of business. I'd try a few trade shows, set up a booth and go for it. you will be talking all day to people looking to expand their business. Good luck.

Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 08:32 PM   #9
DantheMan
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyTeas View Post
So, here's my problem: I need to figure out how to convince coffeeshops that it would be worth their while to offer iced teas to their customers with the same care and attention to quality as they do their coffee.
Why do you need coffee shops? How do you know you need them?
Do you have evidence (facts) that show it's worthwhile? How do you know they need you?
You can survey your existing customers for the information and your proof for the pitch if it's validated.

Quote:
I believe I can make a strong case, if I can bend their ears long enough for them to listen, but I want to know what is the best way to get my message out to them?
If you want to bend ears, do it in person. Carefully plan your ear bending session. Visit the location or get some intel about the place first. Ask why they don't serve iced tea. Buy a cup of coffee and ask other customers if they like tea.

Quote:
Do I create a blog post aimed directly at the coffeehouse industry on my consumer-oriented website?
Use your blog to capture your audiences attention and get their feedback on this or anything else. Remember though, people don't always do what they say.

Quote:
Do I create a hidden landing page with the content and a lead collector, and hope that coffeehouse owners will stumble across it?
How likely do you think this will have the results you want?

Quote:
Do I try to write an article for an industry magazine or newsletter about it?
After you've gotten into a few coffee shops, good idea. Share your success and that of your new partners. Brown noser

Quote:
Do I start cold-calling coffeehouses and telling them about our product?
Often cold calls are received by cold ears. Would you want someone bending your cold ears? A quick call to a decision maker is ok. Schedule a follow up call or meeting to discuss the details.

Quote:
Do I do all of these things and probably one or two more that I haven't thought of?
Get out there and gather info, get your pitch down pat and show them what they've been missing.

Good Luck,

Dan

DantheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 10:22 AM   #10
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

I like this answer the idea about showing revenue potential and customer demand.

I would gather some research statistics and put together some input from experts. That would provide concrete proof on a market they're missing out on.

I love coffee, but sometimes I want something cold to drink. Iced tea hits the spot on hot days and in the afternoons. Other times I want something hot, but am tired of coffee.

Other people have to feel the same way, I think.

DeniseTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote