Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Computer Hardware
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd June 2004, 01:52 PM   #1
Robert
Administrator

Default Dual Monitor Setup

Something I've been planning to do for quite a while was making the jump to a dual monitor setup. I finally took the plunge and after about a week, I already can't live without it.

The extra screen space is fantastic and it helps me monitor news sources and my sites much more easily.

The best part is that it isn't expensive to set it up. First, I purchased a used 17" Dell M770 for $45 on eBay (I love eBay!). It was a local pickup so no shipping fees. Next up I found a GeForce FX 5200 graphics card with VGA and DVI output. My graphics card came with a DVI to VGA adapter (this is where you'll plug in the second monitor), so there was no extra cost there. I was in a rush and didn't shop around so I spent just under $100 for my card at Office Depot. But, I just checked eBay and they have the same card going for about $60.

So, for less than $150 you can fire up a second monitor and improve your productivity.

I'm already thinking about going to three monitors.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd June 2004, 01:59 PM   #2
theUKdude

Thumbs up

Hehehe, nice one Robert. Did this myself a couple of months ago when I built my own computer ... I have two BenQ 19" flatties ... wouldn't be without them both now. They were quite cheap for 19" monitors - about 400.00 here in the UK.

One word of warning to people thinking of doing this ... be sure your graphics card can deal with it. There are a few older ones which will not allow a dual monitor set-up. Thankfully, I've got myself a Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800XT which does the job nicely.

Progressing to three monitors may mean a little more expense than just buying another monitor because you will probably need another graphics card as well

Later dude,

theUKdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2004, 02:17 PM   #3
BWelford

Wow, this Forum must involve ESP. Last evening I raised with my wife the thought that I should have two monitors on my computer. I saw this set-up with a colleague of mine almost 15 months ago and hadn't thought of it since. My wife, practical woman that she is, said how would it fit on that cluttered desk. This thread may be just enough to convince her that it's a very practical way to go.

Old 23rd June 2004, 02:18 PM   #4
Robert
Administrator

Great point, theUKdude... you have to find a card specifically made to handle dual monitors.

Fortunately on the box for my GeForce card it stated that it could be used for dual display and it showed the various options. Much needed help and part of the reason I bought the card when I saw it - they spelled it out for me.

By the way, I'm completely jealous of your monitors and graphics card!

Old 23rd June 2004, 05:11 PM   #5
steve sardell

Send a message via AIM to steve sardell

Thanks guys, I have been meaning to do this myself. Hopefully this thread will get me moving. BTB, Great mention on the graphics card!

steve sardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2004, 06:49 AM   #6
theUKdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWelford
My wife, practical woman that she is, said how would it fit on that cluttered desk.
Darn those wives ... always getting practical on us. Do they not realise it's not always about practicality ... sometimes we just need the 'Tim Allen testosterone grunt' of having something bigger, better and more chocolatey

Get yourself a couple of flatties. The footprint of most of them nowadays is minimal, certainly not the same as normal CRT monitors, so space shouldn't be a huge problem unless your desk is the size of a tea tray

theUKdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2004, 02:16 PM   #7
bizian

Default Nuther dual monitor way

Little late here, but I just stumbled in.

My own dual monitor setup uses the on-board AGP video for monitor 1 and an old used PCI video card I picked up for $10 for monitor 2.

Works like a charm under both Windows and Linux and is likely a cheaper way to go than to buy a video card that supports two monitors by itself.

Cheers,
IanS

bizian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2004, 06:24 PM   #8
Robert
Administrator

Hi Ian! Welcome to the forum.

I have another old Dell with the video built into the motherboard. I could just add a PCI video card and that will work? (XP is installed) If so, that would be great. For some reason I had it in my mind that it wouldn't work when the video was built into the motherboard.

Thanks!

Old 17th August 2004, 03:30 PM   #9
StupidScript
Administrator

On my home Linux box I've got the 19" Viewsonic plugged into the VGA port of my ATI Radeon 9200SE card and the DVI going to our television. That way, when there is some extra-cool email in my box, I can display it on the TV for the rest of the family to enjoy.

We also sometimes play games on the computer and use the TV as the monitor. They are about ten feet away from each other.

The TV resolution is quite crappy compared to the normal monitor. I think it's somewhere around 700lpi.

StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote