Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st January 2011, 06:23 PM   #1
*Curt_M*

Send a message via ICQ to *Curt_M* Send a message via AIM to *Curt_M* Send a message via MSN to *Curt_M* Send a message via Yahoo to *Curt_M* Send a message via Skype™ to *Curt_M*
Default Help On My Idea?

Click image for larger version

Name:	hotel.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	115

Alright - so my current idea is to buy a Florida hotel, renovate it and operate it. The hotel has 53 rooms, a pool and is a block away from the beach. There are several restaurants nearby, also.

Is there any ideas you can through in? Any feedback? I'll attach a link to Google Maps so you can look at the surrounding area:

CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAP

*Curt_M* is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 1st February 2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Gary Barzel
VIP Contributor

I imagine there are quite a few hotels in the neighboring vicinity. You want to make your hotel stand out so that you get noticed. What crowd are you trying to attract. You need to find out what the other hotels in your area are doing, and come up with something that they don't have in order to garner attention. Offer services that the other hotels don't have. Having some sort of nightime entertainment during the busy seasons might be an option. Get in touch with the nearby restaurants and try to make a deal with them whereby you both gain, by offering discounts exclusive to your guests if they patronize their restaurants.

Gary Barzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 01:13 PM   #3
Logan
Administrator

The biggest issue is generating reservations. What's the history?

I know a little about hotels, and the reality is that hotels that are associated with a national brand reservation line get a large percentage (~65% +) from the 800number/website. Consider, is there any way you can get this hotel branded as a Holiday Inn or other hotel chain. It costs money, but if you have the holiday inn site driving your reservations for people going to HI and looking to stay in Miami it could be the difference between being able to stay in business or not. I'm not suggesting a particular hotel brand, and it is a huge process to take on. But be aware how most hotels get reservations, and if you are not going to go that route you need to be realistic about the past occupancy percentages and how you are going to get people to even notice you exist - let alone choose your "hotel" versus a brand they are familiar with and typically book with.

Old 1st February 2011, 04:39 PM   #4
*Curt_M*

Send a message via ICQ to *Curt_M* Send a message via AIM to *Curt_M* Send a message via MSN to *Curt_M* Send a message via Yahoo to *Curt_M* Send a message via Skype™ to *Curt_M*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barzel View Post
I imagine there are quite a few hotels in the neighboring vicinity. You want to make your hotel stand out so that you get noticed. What crowd are you trying to attract. You need to find out what the other hotels in your area are doing, and come up with something that they don't have in order to garner attention. Offer services that the other hotels don't have. Having some sort of nightime entertainment during the busy seasons might be an option. Get in touch with the nearby restaurants and try to make a deal with them whereby you both gain, by offering discounts exclusive to your guests if they patronize their restaurants.
Yes, I've thought about Restaurant Deals, which seems a great idea. For the crowd I'm aiming at, I'm not sure at the moment. Which crowd would be best - I mean, it's a hotel off the Beach with lots of restaurants and such...not a very busy street also.

And what kind of nighttime entertainment would be good? Disco?

Old 2nd February 2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Gary Barzel
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Curt_M* View Post
Yes, I've thought about Restaurant Deals, which seems a great idea. For the crowd I'm aiming at, I'm not sure at the moment. Which crowd would be best - I mean, it's a hotel off the Beach with lots of restaurants and such...not a very busy street also.

And what kind of nighttime entertainment would be good? Disco?
What else is nearby the hotel. Are there bars in the area to make it attractive to a younger crowd? You also have the fact that it's in a quiet street which may be appealing to an older crowd who may want that peace and quiet.

As far as the entertainment is concerned that's also dependent on your crowd. You can have shows and musical plays there, as well as singers to perform. You can also have a comedy night where you bring in comedians. If it's an older crowd then they would be into slow dancing, as well as game night.

Gary Barzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 02:17 PM   #6
*Curt_M*

Since the hotel doesn't have lounges, but a small lobby...I'm not sure where the entertainment would be held. Also, since there are houses a few streets down, I'm wondering if the noise from entertainment would disturb residents.

Old 3rd February 2011, 10:20 PM   #7
*Curt_M*

Here's a view from the exterior corridor looking down to the pool area. The zone could use some TLC.