Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > Reviews
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th February 2008, 08:13 PM   #1
SmallMerchant

Send a message via AIM to SmallMerchant
Default Blog Review

Hello folks,

I started my blog a month or so ago, and am just looking for feedback. In that time I have tried to post at least 5 times per week, and have been constantly trying to join blog network sites to publicize.

I have been thinking about guest posting on other sites to help with driving traffic, but I am not sure what else to do.

Any comments or criticisms on the blog would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Nick

Old 27th February 2008, 08:18 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Hi Nick, can you give us an idea how many visitors you are getting (how's it going) and what the goal of the blog is. link pop, exposure, sales, etc? any conversions yet?

Old 27th February 2008, 08:29 PM   #3
SmallMerchant

Thanks Logan, I'll tell you what I know...

Right now I am averaging 40-75 unique visits per day. Most of these hits come from the various networks I have signed up for, and these forums. I have only had 3 comments left, and have 10 feedburner subscribers.

I don't think that's terrible for 4 weeks of being live. Becuase the blog is so young it has yet to get crawled in-depth by the search engines so I am not seeing any natural hits from the search engines yet.

My goal was always to have an avenue to write and express myself. I would love to have a larger following of subscribers sometime down the road. As far as financial goals, I added some ad stuff, but don't excpect anything from it for a long time. If one day the blog paid a few extra bucks I wouldn't mind at all... But money is not my main motivation.

Thanks again!

Old 28th February 2008, 10:52 AM   #4
Logan
Administrator

Glad to help Nick. I'll go through later today and read some of your posts, etc. I will say though, when you first became involved here, I remember taking a quick look at your blog and I would describe my impression as "new but solid with potential". That said, I'l go through things closer and give you my two cents from a review standpoint. For starters, I hope you realize the level of competition in the market area you are focusing on ... and maybe more so how long some of those competitors of yours have been doing something similiar.

Old 1st March 2008, 08:52 AM   #5
Mike Johnson

Nick-
I found the content to be really good. I think you have that nailed and time will increase readership.

I think you should find a main graphic that is more relevant to the content. You should be able to find an interesting image at istockphoto.com for a couple of dollars, just crop it to the correct size. Also, the color for the subtitles and the color of the main graphic don't complement each other as well as they could.

Also the columns seem really crowded together and navigation bled into ads. Perhaps a slightly different background color for the main content would solve readability issues.

Mike Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2008, 12:00 PM   #6
bdorland

Two words...Saturation and Patience.

You (we) are in a highly saturated content space and you're going to have to be patient. I think your content is fine and I applaud you for accomplishing almost a post per day. Keep at it!

Oh...and thanks for posting on that spyfu.com website. Being able to show clients what their competitors are spending is VERY useful.

Good luck!

bdorland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2008, 06:21 PM   #7
FHI Windows

I like how you have to scroll down in order to see your ads. While this might not be the best placement it gives a really good first impression(not just another ad packed site).

Great domain name!

A good mix of images and text, I will generally leave a blog that does not contain any images.

You get my thumbs up!

FHI Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2008, 10:16 PM   #8
SmallMerchant

Thanks for all of your insight! Your words are both motivating and encouraging.

... now if I could only figure out this "patience" thing.

best, Nick

Old 10th March 2008, 01:59 PM   #9
akemi

Nick,
Good site.
This may sound counterintuitive, but you may be posting too often. Posting (almost) every day is a rule circa 2006. Tim Ferrris (author of 4 Hour Work Week) had a post about this in his blog, and I agree. When you are starting off, you want to build content quickly, but one of the challenge of any blog is that older posts tend to get buried. Many people don't like getting too many updates, and even cancel subscription when they feel they can't keep up with it.

akemi is offline   Reply With Quote