Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th August 2008, 06:16 AM   #1
davinder

Default Why Seo Is Required

why seo is required?

davinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 9th August 2008, 03:49 AM   #2
Old Welsh Guy

SEo is required if you intend to rank first page. (unless there are only 10 pages returned for your search of course)

Old 9th August 2008, 07:30 AM   #3
ktaylor310
VIP Contributor

I get lots of calls from people that go something like this..."We would like to have our company's website built, and also we want our site to come up first on Google when someone types in tennis shoes".

As a web designer, I do everything in my power to create a site that appeals to Google. I am careful with structure, load time, linking system, navigation, and completely anal about clean code. Also, as part of my services, I create and upload a Google sitemap and ping it as well. All this effort helps the site some day do well in Google, but the site will never reach the first page if that is all that is done.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to explain to a client - except that maybe they haven't thought things through. Using "tennis shoes" as an example, there are 3,210,000 results in Google. If getting on the first page was as easy as simply creating a site, then everyone would do it - making for an extremely long page!

SEO is implemented AFTER the site is designed to help move the site up in rankings, IF you are concerned about ranking. The more competitive the industry the more time it takes. Years usually, and the job is never quite finished.

Hey ya old welsh guy, even "monkey guts" pulls up 1,290,000 results. I challenge you to find one with 10! da da da... let the battle begin!

Old 9th August 2008, 07:34 AM   #4
ktaylor310
VIP Contributor

"autoimmune porpoise with bad temper" - 184 results

Old 10th August 2008, 05:52 PM   #5
homebizseo.com
VIP Contributor

I just wrote a seven part series on why we need SEO to make money online.
I asked questions in a few forums and got great answers.

Without SEO there is little chance to gain a top ranking for competitive keyword phrases. If you want to “Make Money Online” focus on quality and quantity content, backlink building from a variety of sources, and anchor keyword textlinks embedded with your url both internally onsite and externally. Here are a few of my favorite responses.

Quote:
1) “I’ve earned my money by doing seo since 1999. Sure quantity is a function, but only if you do everything else right. In particular, keyword research and long tail.

“Have you ever read Brett Tabke’s Successful Site in 12 Months with Google Alone

http://www.webmasterworld.com/ forum10003/ 2010.htm

That is a bit dated going back to 2002, but much of it is still very applicable. Many have taken that route and have success. But it has nothing to do with quantity, if you aren’t doing everything else right regarding seo. If that is the case, you’ll do a lot of work with little results

Today, I think you also have to consider the time it takes to establish a new site in the rankings.”…. Logan

37) mit = SEO can help to give relevant visitors through Organic Rankings and Other Web Resources. And Relevant Visitors = Chance to Get the Relevant Client/Customer

41) Jason – “I have a few landing pages that bring in money like clockwork, monthly, just because they rank for terms (without me doing any work) like win free stuff, win free ipod etc. Trying to rinse and repeat “

57) KingPin – “Well as a professional SEO/SEM I have always made money on and to be quite honest I would rather have quality content over back links anyday. Why? well, excellent written content can increase your conversion rates tenfold and gain you back links without doing any link building yourself. Best part is them links will be A) one way and B) relevant.

So the answer for me would be creating quality content indirectly helps with back links so yes. I could make money online just from writing.

KP”

76) OldWelshGuy- “Creating content is fine. Sometimes you can collect backlinks through that. But most peoplewho have websites use SEO/SEM. be it making posts in forums, or blogging etc, it is all link building. If a site has no links, then it is only likely to appear for obscure long tail searches, and also it will be limited as to how many pages stay in the index.

Refusing to build links is crazy. What is the point in having a site if ytou are not going to let people know about it?”

95) milvos – “Online success to me is getting all the components from design, usability, keywords, SEO, content etc all working right. There is no one thing that will make a site work on its own it has to be a combination of factors that will make a site succeed and make money. No easy solution or short cuts that I have found yet.”

100) angilina- “I think we need both backlinks and quality content to earn money online from sites. With proper SEO, we will get traffic and traffic = $$$”

Old 10th August 2008, 09:34 PM   #6
onlinebillb

SEO isn't all that hard to accomplish, basically using .htaccess files to rename php files to .html files will already help dramatically improve your rankings in major search engines. Not to mention the urls are easier for people to remember. The only other areas that need to be modified on a regular basis (depending on the keywords you're targeting), is the title tag (max 65 characters), meta description tag (75 chars), and meta keyword tag (65-75 chars). I also tend to add a hidden <div> tag right after the <body> element of a page with an added description of that page, which helps get you better placement in google because it's considered "relevant content" if the text is also within the body of the page.

onlinebillb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 12:52 PM   #7
ktaylor310
VIP Contributor

I disagree. SEO is NOT easy if done properly and geared for long-lasting results. There is much research, analysis, editing and adding of fresh content required. Also, depending on the competitive nature of the phrase it can take years. Relying on the specific number of characters in meta tags and the use of hidden division tags sounds like advice from an article someone read on the internet. Quick fix formulas that might, I repeat might, help boost for a moment do not last.

Example: One of my clients (cardpay.net) is in a VERY competitive industry, selling merchant accounts and equipment. Our main keywords are "credit card machine" and "small business credit card machine"... tough! We are number #6 & #3 on Google (just below Yahoo Small Business). That is 2 1/2 years of constant attention & editing.

I do SEO for several clients from a desire to see them do well. I do not take SEO work in general and am not looking for business. I do know how hard good SEO's work, though, and there is a level of expertise that is necessary for ranking success.

Old 11th August 2008, 04:50 PM   #8
onlinebillb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktaylor310 View Post
I disagree. SEO is NOT easy if done properly and geared for long-lasting results. There is much research, analysis, editing and adding of fresh content required. Also, depending on the competitive nature of the phrase it can take years. Relying on the specific number of characters in meta tags and the use of hidden division tags sounds like advice from an article someone read on the internet. Quick fix formulas that might, I repeat might, help boost for a moment do not last.

Example: One of my clients (cardpay.net) is in a VERY competitive industry, selling merchant accounts and equipment. Our main keywords are "credit card machine" and "small business credit card machine"... tough! We are number #6 & #3 on Google (just below Yahoo Small Business). That is 2 1/2 years of constant attention & editing.

I do SEO for several clients from a desire to see them do well. I do not take SEO work in general and am not looking for business. I do know how hard good SEO's work, though, and there is a level of expertise that is necessary for ranking success.
Believe it or not, the hidden div tag is extremely useful especially when located immediately after the body tag, because google see's this as site content and if it's relevant to a user performing a search, then google will choose a site that has the highest relevancy, which is exactly what the <div> tag is supposed to accomplish. Just one of the many tricks I've learned over the years.

onlinebillb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 06:30 PM   #9
ktaylor310
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebillb View Post
then google will choose a site that has the highest relevancy, which is exactly what the <div> tag is supposed to accomplish. Just one of the many tricks I've learned over the years.
I appreciate the tip, but I don't think that is the purpose of a <div> tag. <div> tags are intended to be used hand-in-hand with CSS to make formatting, layout and text changes easier.

The <div> tag has been abused by spammers just like hidden text and meta tag keyword stuffing to boost rankings, but where has this gotten them with Google? In the end Google adjusted their algorithm to put little or no relevance on meta keywords and began penalizing sites for using hidden text. How long before Google cracks down on hidden text in division tags? At best they will adjust the weight they put on the tags, at worst your site could be penalized or kicked out of their index when they "clean house".

Don't think that can happen? Read about the Google Florida Update:
..."Google made a change to its algorithm at the end of last month. This fact is obvious to any educated search observer, plus Google itself confirms it. The change has caused many people to report that some of their pages fell in ranking. These pages no longer please Google's algorithm as much as in the past.

If your page has suddenly dropped after being top ranked for a relatively long period of time (at least two or three months), then it's likely that your page is one of those no longer pleasing the new Google algorithm."
If you want long-term results, you have to focus on what Google is looking for. That means relevance, not tricks. That means good, fresh relevant content.

For the majority of SEO's the advice for 2008/2009 is "Can your site pass a hand inspection?". I agree. Keep it clean

Last edited by ktaylor310; 11th August 2008 at 09:53 PM.
ktaylor310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 05:46 PM   #10
Old Welsh Guy

Kimi you are a lightweight

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...elots%22&meta=