Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Direct Mail
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th August 2013, 09:27 AM   #1
jsnowash

Default "We Want You Back" Direct Mail Campaign?

Hello all, !

Very pleased to have found this forum! I'm a new small business owner, and I have a lot to learn about marketing and promoting my business - a small, independent fitness studio.

We opened our doors about 4 months ago. I've been looking over our customer data, and there are several people who came in and tried our facility once or a small handful of times but haven't been back. I'm considering a "We Want You Back" direct mail campaign to these customers - offering them something special for coming back. This is a relatively small number of customers, so the cost of the mailing will be pretty small.

But I have a couple of questions.... First - is this kind of campaign even a good idea? Second - any thoughts on what would be the best incentive to bring them back? I'm thinking either 3 free fitness classes or something like 50% off the price of a 10 class package (or something along those lines).

Thank you, and I look forward to learning from you all !

jsnowash is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th August 2013, 08:26 AM   #2
PatprecisionE
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnowash View Post
Hello all, !

Very pleased to have found this forum! I'm a new small business owner, and I have a lot to learn about marketing and promoting my business - a small, independent fitness studio.

We opened our doors about 4 months ago. I've been looking over our customer data, and there are several people who came in and tried our facility once or a small handful of times but haven't been back. I'm considering a "We Want You Back" direct mail campaign to these customers - offering them something special for coming back. This is a relatively small number of customers, so the cost of the mailing will be pretty small.

But I have a couple of questions.... First - is this kind of campaign even a good idea? Second - any thoughts on what would be the best incentive to bring them back? I'm thinking either 3 free fitness classes or something like 50% off the price of a 10 class package (or something along those lines).

Thank you, and I look forward to learning from you all !
It can absolutely be a great idea. I would recommend doing more than one more direct mail peace. It shouldn't be a one and done campaign if you're hoping to convince people to come back.

PatprecisionE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 10:36 AM   #3
jsnowash

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatprecisionE View Post
It can absolutely be a great idea. I would recommend doing more than one more direct mail peace. It shouldn't be a one and done campaign if you're hoping to convince people to come back.
Thank you! So - if I do more than one direct mail piece, should each piece have some kind of special offer for the recipient?

jsnowash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 07:40 AM   #4
PatprecisionE
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnowash View Post
Thank you! So - if I do more than one direct mail piece, should each piece have some kind of special offer for the recipient?
Yes. But I would have the same special offer on each piece. Stick to one offer per campaign.

Although if you want you could increase the offer for the final direct mail piece. Something like "Ok, since you didn't respond to my first 2 offers of 25% off your order, here's an offer for 50% off!"

Something like that maybe. Also make sure to remove the people who did respond from the future mailings. It would look bad if someone turned in to a customer on the first postcard, but you keep sending them more. I hope this helps!

PatprecisionE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 10:46 AM   #5
uspackaging

I would recommend a time frame on each piece to establish some sense of urgency to your offer or call to action. You may also add some testimonials to help regain trust with the ones that left.

Old 1st November 2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Murray Cowell

I think it's a good idea, because email marketing is what you need if you want to get more customers and more leads. Especially if you have a special offer, like you've stated.

All the best!
If you need anything regarding this matter, please contact me on my website, inboxincome.co.uk!

Murray.

Murray Cowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 03:33 AM   #7
Lila Ruth

I think direct mailing marketing will be a good idea and multiple piece campaign will be useful, as uspackaging mentioned there should be a time frame between each pieces. I've done recently a welfare campaign and did direct mailing service with the help of Troi Mailing Services, Ontario, along with digital promotion too. But the main response came from those who got the physical mails. All the very best for the campaign and have a great year.

Lila Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 04:12 AM   #8
karenfisher252

It is a really good idea. Many a times people like certain stuff but forget about it as they come across more and more names. But, not many like you would be willing to walk that extra yard to get those potential clients back. So go for the email campaign. Just ensure that you send a personalized email, not a generic one.

karenfisher252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2014, 04:50 PM   #9
WhiteRhinoMedia

Well, this question is one every business should be asking themselves. The simple fact is majority of customers drift off due to indifference. Not necessarily a bad experience. Most companies figure once they got a customer, they got a customer. Most companies would be wrong.

I was consulting with a business a couple years ago, creating some ads and strategies. During one of our weekly calls I asked them about their customer list. It was a decent size of 19,000+. I had them go into to their data base and let me know how many have not been around in over a year. They came back with around 7000. I wanted to isolate that grouping and do a campaign custom made for them so I created basically a FBI themed campaign. To lighten the mood I made the 'agent' a kid dressed like a detective holding a magnifying glass.

There was a series of 3 postcards. Within one month after the 3rd card landing they had 1400 customers buy again. 1400 'lost customers'. The reason I used a humorous theme was because it can be uncomfortable for both you and the customer to face "why did you leave!". Knowing that most customers fade away rather than leave I did not even address the possibility of something negative.

All of that said, if I had a list of customers who vanished and expressed dissatisfaction I would have came at them differently. Maybe the same theme, but address how the problems have been fixed.

We did another campaign to the remaining list 3 months later and picked up around 500 more. The moral is they may not be gone, just temporarily misplaced

Old 6th March 2014, 04:40 PM   #10
Book In Essence

Seems like a great idea! It takes a lot of effort, but I'm sure it would be well worth it.

It's always best to put yourself in a customer's position and try to understand what they're thinking. The idea of "out of sight, out of mind" definitely applies. The mere fact that they will see your name and your business again is enough to make them repeat customers.