Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd January 2006, 04:27 PM   #1
InviteHits

Default Pay-per click other than Overture?

Hello all. I was hoping people with experiences with companies other than Yahoo/Overture could post their experiences.

I currently use Yahoo, but am looking to broaden my reach.

Thanks

InviteHits is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 3rd January 2006, 06:41 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

First step should be adwords. Start out publishing to google only search. get things going good there, then try to broaden to search partners and then finally to context partners. The roi will typically deminish a bit or more with each. If you are having success in overture you should typically do well in adwords.

Old 4th January 2006, 12:52 PM   #3
Bleed Green

I've had some success with Business.com

They target the B2B customers and infiltrate several sites such as Forbes and Inc Magazine that may not be reached by Google/Yahoo ads.

Bleed Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 05:38 PM   #4
foremansfinder

msn is also beta testing their adcenter, after yahoo and google they have the third largest audience

foremansfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 06:41 PM   #5
mouse_man

Am I wrong to think it is better, in the long run, to do the pay-for-click model for traffic than wait for a high ranking?

My concern remains clicks generated from someone just playing around, or a competitor.

Thanks

mouse_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 09:33 PM   #6
Logan
Administrator

It can be a problem in some sectors. But I would try pay per click while working/waiting on rankings. Your concern is legit, but here is a way to look at it. Are you making a profit with ppc? That's it. Test, retry, etc. If you are ending up ahead regarding roi ... then continue/expand. If you can't make a profit, retest, tweak, etc. - I wouldn't wait - and would consider any 'click fraud' just part of the accepted cost of doing business. for now.

Track your roi. If you don't know how, start there before getting into it too much.

Old 5th January 2006, 03:57 PM   #7
mouse_man

Thanks Logan, and you can always manage the risk with a budget. Bad ROI drop it.. good ROI increase... I love common sense.

I appriciate the wake up call

mouse_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2006, 01:19 PM   #8
EtnaInteractive

Default PPC - Search Focus, Avoid Content Networks

I think this opinion may be a bit controversial, but it is what I share with the plastic surgeons and medical spas for whom we manage pay per click campaigns:

1. Regional targeting: If you are regional use Yahoo! Local Sponsored Search and Google AdWords regional targeting. Yahoo! Local Listings may also be useful for just $9.95 monthly.

2. Avoid content networks: Both Yahoo & Google sell ads for their sites AND their content partners. I say stay away from their content networks where you are more likely to encounter click fraud.

3. Bid backwards: Determine you tolerable acquisition cost, then look close at your numbers. On average how many visitors do you need to get a sale (ok, that oversimplifies what we do, but you get the idea)? Divide your acquisition cost by the visitor count and you have what should be your max pay per click.

4. Spread the wealth: Go for a high volume of very specific, targeted terms, rather than a few general terms with a high volume of traffic.

Just some thoughts. In terms of alternate bidding, looksmart is OK, I would stay away from the smaller sites.

EtnaInteractive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 02:02 AM   #9
beaway

Send a message via Skype™ to beaway
Default msn is invitation only

I want to do this. but it is invitation only, and i receive no response after I ask for application several times. How should I do now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foremansfinder
msn is also beta testing their adcenter, after yahoo and google they have the third largest audience

beaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2006, 01:27 AM   #10
jvance
VIP Contributor

I have used a variety of PPC sites.

Enhance Interactive
Go Click
Yahoo / Overture
Google Adwords
MSN Adcenter

As well as a few seedy redirect bulk traffic purchases (hangs head in shame).

I have found the quality and conversion for YSM (yahoo search marketing) to be the best. MSN is doing OK for me as well, as I can still get pretty low CPC for my search terms. I can't seem to get my Adwords right for Google traffic conversion. (I haven't spent a lot of time on it though)

my 2 cents.

Jason

jvance is offline   Reply With Quote