Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th December 2006, 07:35 AM   #1
momdesigner

Default Business Ideas

Hi all!
I'm new to the forum, old to the internet. I need some ideas on starting a business from home. I am a SAHM and also the full time caregiver to my disabled mom. I need something I can do from home, that will bring in a good income. I have tried several different businesses, but without much success--creating & selling scented candles, crafts, embroidery business and currently sell gift baskets through a dropshipper ( I have made a few sales with the baskets-- mostly through ebay, and not my website). I love the creative part of these businesses, and I don't mind the business administrative side. I have a degree in Art, but have always wanted to write, I love reading both fiction and non fiction and writing poetry for greeting cards. I have had several jobs, mostly as administrative assitant and reception, but my favorites were working at the newspaper and a local magazine, using graphic design skills. Whatever I do needs to have low start up-- money is too tight already. Should I try desktop publishing services--even though its really saturated.
Any ideas?
Thanks

momdesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th December 2006, 09:39 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

I wanted to say welcome aboard while ideas are brewing. I'm sure a few will come along!

Old 7th December 2006, 12:24 PM   #3
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Even if a market is "saturated" overall, there may be a niche you can exploit. The trick would be to come up with something that would make you different from the other players -- identify an area of specialty or a specific target audience where you could become the local expert and "go-to person", for instance. So, if you have an interest and talent in desktop publishing, then I'd say put on your thinking cap, come up with something "special" you can offer, and go for it!

If you have knowledge of graphic/web design, you may also want to approach local hosting/design companies to see if they have any need for freelancers. I know several smaller hosting companies in my area who offer site design and maintenance services to their customers and who have perennial difficulties finding talented and reliable people to provide even basic HTML coding services. Your startup costs for something like this would be essentially zero, assuming you have a computer and Internet connection already, and it could be a relatively quick source of revenue.

If you like to write and have magazine/newspaper experience, freelance writing may be another opportunity to investigate. The Writers' Weekly website and newsletter has a lot of resources to help you get started with that. Again, assuming you have a computer and an Internet connection already, this is a near-zero startup cost idea.

--Torka

Old 9th December 2006, 10:18 PM   #4
friese

Send a message via Skype™ to friese

You mentioned that you like to write. Have you thought of starting a blog or blogging for a network? Starting a blog takes a time and doesn't produce much income at first, but it's a great way to make a little money writing about your interests.

Old 12th December 2006, 03:39 PM   #5
WebBizIdeas.com

Send a message via MSN to WebBizIdeas.com Send a message via Skype™ to WebBizIdeas.com
Lightbulb Free Blog software

Hi,

You can start a blog for free at www.blogger.com or download free software at www.wordpress.com

Jeff Foster

Old 13th December 2006, 07:38 AM   #6
carlar9

Boy it sounds like you have your hands full without running a business. My advice is to do something you like and know about. If you don't like what you do it will become a real chore to do it.

carlar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 10:06 AM   #7
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Actually, you download the free WordPress software at www.wordpress.org. You can also find a bunch of documentation and the WordPress support forums there, as well.

Wordpress.com is a service like Blogger, where you can set up a free blog hosted on their server.

--Torka