Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th April 2007, 06:53 PM   #1
angie5

Default Free Html Or Xhtml Editor??

OK, so I keep getting people telling me that my coding SUCKS pretty much on my site. Fine..I understand, but its up and running.....but I would like to clean it up some and wondering if maybe its the editor I am using.

I do not have the money right now to spend hundreds of dollars on one of the best editors and currently am using NVU. Does anyone know of any better free ones that I could try that would help to clean up my codes? Or even any suggestions? Thanks

I should also add that I am not that great with HTML yet, but I am taking a course in it.

angie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th April 2007, 07:31 PM   #2
jaairey
VIP Contributor

You get what you pay for. If you don't want to spend much money or time get a template. If you have the time but not the money buy some books about html coding.

I like using a small monitor so your pages are too wide for my monitor. There is no way that I am going to read pages that are too wide unless it is really really important to me. You have about 5 seconds to convince most people who access your site that it is worth staying. I would have hit the back button before that. So a little time (and money) to make your pages easily viewable is important. You can have the best information - but if most viewers can't find what they want or are irritated ....

What on earth possessed you to make your headings blue and underlined? Visitors will assume they are links. (And not even h1 etc.)

I would suggest that you find and spend a little time reading some basic html and seo information websites. In the long run this time will pay for itself many times over.

Last edited by jaairey; 6th April 2007 at 07:50 PM.
jaairey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2007, 11:34 PM   #3
ibmoch

Send a message via Yahoo to ibmoch

May be you can try at oscommerce.com , you can free download or maybe you can try xtcommerce.com , I hope this link can help you out from your problems.
thanks

ibmoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2007, 08:00 AM   #4
Corey Bryant
VIP Contributor

NVU is free but I would recommend Expression Web. I have been using that for about six months now and extremely pleased with it

Old 8th April 2007, 10:57 PM   #5
johnb

Quote:
Does anyone know of any better free ones that I could try that would help to clean up my codes? Or even any suggestions? Thanks
Focus on learning how to write XHTML/CSS by hand, don't rely on an editor to clean up after you. 1. You don't learn how to do things properly and 2. WYSIWYG editors don't generate great code anyway.

If your site is up and running, leave it. Don't wait for the class, start rewriting it now, in notepad. Get yourself an XHTML reference book and this book and get cracking.

johnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 11:27 PM   #6
jaairey
VIP Contributor

For starting out, two books by Elizabeth Castro are good. Both have lots of pictures and example code. They are both very easy to follow and understand.

"Creating a web page with HTML" is very basic.

"HTML for the world wide web" is more detailed.

jaairey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 09:39 AM   #7
enfoldit

I use PSPad, as it's great for every computer laguage I have to deal with. However, it's not WYSIWYG, it merely makes it easy to make your HTML nice, and managemable. Bonus feature: it directly opens things from FTP.

enfoldit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 11:43 AM   #8
Logan
Administrator

Keep in mind if considering whether you should pay versus free, most paid programs offer a free trial so you can see if it is worth while. I use allaire's homesite, its $99 and has a free 30 day trial. To some extent what you learn with is what becomes comfortable for most based on my experiences.

Old 11th April 2007, 11:23 AM   #9
mbm

As far as I remember, NVU has also ability to edit the HTML code. If not, any TEXT editor can be used too.

I would recommend using HTML validator at http://validator.w3.org/ where you can check every page from your web site and it generates also some description of what the validator find wrong on the page. Then, edit the HTML code of the web page accordingly in order to fix the error reported. Here is an example of your home page checked.
It is not absolutely necessary to fix all the errors reported, but it is very easy way to learn some HTML coding.

Old 12th April 2007, 06:37 AM   #10
heavenly-johnso

Default Not so bad

Hi Angie, I've seen code far worse than this, if you're taking a course and you've come this far you should feel proud! There are a couple of things I'd suggest changing if you want you're site to do well though.

Firstly your page header is an image with no alt text, in fact the alt text is blank. I would wrap your whole header image in an h1 (top level heading) tag and add alt text. Alt text is displayed when the user can't see the image so this little tweak will make your site more accessible and more search engine friendly right off.

Secondly, I notice a couple of broken links on the site. Nothing says unprofessionalism louder than a 404 page not found error.

If you want to edit your code directly pretty much any text editor will do, I use jedit but notepad will do the trick. If you want something a little more drag and drop, homesite is good and quite cheap

heavenly-johnso is offline   Reply With Quote