Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th September 2013, 11:00 PM   #11
chrismarklee
VIP Contributor

Exactly. I do income taxes for locals. I have a personnel web page I am slowing adding friends and building relationships on Facebook

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th September 2013, 03:32 AM   #12
SRichard

Hey,
first of all, you should buy your own domain and hosting, so that you can have your own site. There are plenty of free and paid wordpress themes that you can use to create a professional portfolio.
Second you should look into SEO. You can check google keyword planner to see which phrases related to your business are popular. I did a quick search and this is what I came up with:

portrait from photo - 260 monthny searches
portraits from photos - 480
pet portraits from photos (!) - 390

ect.

Get a site up, optimize it for those popular phrases and get some customers!

Regards,
Richard

SRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 04:33 AM   #13
Brandscribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRichard View Post
Hey,
first of all, you should buy your own domain and hosting, so that you can have your own site. There are plenty of free and paid wordpress themes that you can use to create a professional portfolio.
Second you should look into SEO. You can check google keyword planner to see which phrases related to your business are popular. I did a quick search and this is what I came up with:

portrait from photo - 260 monthny searches
portraits from photos - 480
pet portraits from photos (!) - 390

ect.

Get a site up, optimize it for those popular phrases and get some customers!

Regards,
Richard
Exactly right. They could be the best drawings in the world, but I would never buy from a free site like xx.blogspot.com , it just says that you're not a real business, even if this is not the case. First impressions count, and I'd bet your website address is letting you down before people even see your work.

Old 19th September 2013, 08:17 AM   #14
twhansbury

Running with social media, similar to Photographers, ask your clients if you can market the works you have done for them. Great example wedding photographers posting sample photos on Facebook. Clients like and share with their friends and brings attention to your business.

twhansbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 06:39 AM   #15
JessicaJohn

You should give order links at the end of the image and give the price of your product it will clear customers that if they are interested in your products definitely they will order you.

JessicaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 07:34 AM   #16
LGCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhansbury View Post
Running with social media, similar to Photographers, ask your clients if you can market the works you have done for them.
Another thought- social media is a great way to showcase your work, which will act as an advertisement for your business.

Old 2nd October 2013, 12:35 PM   #17
shaneshuford

Offer your services for free.
Do this for 6 months or so.

Get permission from a local business to let you setup a small booth in-front of their store.

Give away your service, and hand them 3 or 4 of your business card when your done completing their order. They will tell their friends and family about you, and they will give your business cards to them.

When their friends and family come in, charge them.

Then offer them an incentive to tell more people about you.
50% off their next order if they send a friend your way.
Or, $20 cash if they send someone your way.

I have seen countless businesses start up using methods like i outlined here.

Remember to enjoy what your doing!
If you don't enjoy it, you won't do it. (or at least, do it right.)

-Shane
Shuford Technology

shaneshuford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2013, 06:11 PM   #18
chrismarklee
VIP Contributor

Exactly. I am giving away tax return prices left and right now. My business is growing with satisfied customers. I am in a growth mood right now. Latter on my prices are going up

Old 17th October 2013, 12:59 AM   #19
sblg

Giving away your product works in a lot of industries, but most of the time I would advise against it.

Here's a few thoughts....
1. Review your previous/existing customers. See what they all (or a majority of them) have in common.
2. Ask your "inner circle" (customers who you have a relationship with) why they purchased your product, who it was for, was it a gift, and every other relevant question you can think of.

- hint, you're creating a customer profile -

3. Think of a reason these customers may want to buy again. This works especially well if they are happy with your work. This can be something as simple as Holiday Gifts, Birthdays, Mothers Day, etc for someone else.

4. Ask them if they know anyone who may be interested in a customer, unique painting from you. Not only will it help you get referrals, but it will also get them thinking about people who they can gift your work to.

5. Once you know who is more likely to buy your work you can start with some low-cost marketing to help build your profile. That's a much bigger subject, but there are lots of resources online (or you can ask here if you need some suggestions).

Good luck!

sblg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 01:07 AM   #20
sblg

Also, have you tried using Google Adwords before? I've checked your site and you're quite talented. Collecting the right keywords and then spending money (or getting a Google $100 voucher) on pay-per-click may get some targeted buyers heading your way.

sblg is offline   Reply With Quote