Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Computer Software
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd August 2005, 09:58 AM   #1
bass

Question best remote access software?

I think remote access would be a good thing to have on the road, or when I want to work from home. I'm looking into various programs and was curious to hear what everyone thought of LogMeIn. It's free and aparently works similar to VNC, but is easier to install and use. Anyone have experience with LogMeIn?

bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th August 2005, 06:35 PM   #2
StupidScript
Administrator

I've not had experience with LogMeIn, but "easier to install and use than VNC"? How is that possible?

At our offices we have gone through GoToMyPC, Timbuktu, CuSeeMe, Laplink and PC Anywhere. We moved to the free UltraVNC, and we haven't looked back. It's faster and more reliable than the others. The one drawback is printing to your remote printer (i.e. I'm at home controlling my work computer and I want to print something. It prints at work, not at home.) Since our users don't care about that (they print it at work and pick it up in the morning or email it to themselves), it's a great app for us. And yes, we do use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) for VNC access to provide two-way encryption.

Actually, one of our users wanted to be able to print from his work system to his home printer, so I hooked him up with a kludgy workaround using the old-school LPD/LPR (Line Printer Daemon/Line Printer Remote), and it works well for him.

BTW, I can connect to any of our work systems using WinVNC, UltraVNC, PalmVNC or the generic Linux Remote Control application (all versions of Linux have one that works great with VNC products).

If you're running XP in both locations, you can use the built-in Remote Control application, but be sure to set up your firewalls for that purpose, as it's a humongous security hole.

PS: Welcome aboard, bass!

Last edited by StupidScript; 4th August 2005 at 06:38 PM.
StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 04:17 PM   #3
ledzep

Hi, and what do you think about remote acces by e-mail No firewalls no dedicated IP. Try GetByMail.

p.s.: GBM link http://www.getbymail.com, I like it

ledzep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2005, 02:27 PM   #4
bass

Thanks for the recommendations, StupidScript. I have to say I downloaded LogMeIn its actually been working really nicely for me. A lot of reviews I looked up say that its just like GoToMypc (which you mentioned) but for free. How did you like goto? How do all these compare to what you have right now?

And thanks for the welcome!

bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 08:57 AM   #5
techgrrl

Depending on the size of your business, you may want to consider different options. If you have 1 or 2 remote computers, a simple remote control software will do. Do pay attention to the encryption and security features of the software. If you have a network of 3 or more computers in the network, and you want to remotelly connect to the network to perform different tasks (like copying files, remote control, database access or even secure email access), you may want to consider a firewall/vpn appliance. By clicking on the link in my signature you will find the website of one such security appliance.
If your only need is remote access and you have a few computers - go for the software solution. If you have more than 3 computers and/or require a more in-depth security solution, I would recommend comparing various firewall/VPN appliances.

techgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2005, 12:58 AM   #6
olivia_ton

When it comes to remote access, encryption and security features of the software has to be given high priority Ö thatís why we use RemotePC in our work place.

The data is encrypted using 128-bit RC4/SSL to ensure security during remote access and this is the highest standard of encryption available today.

olivia_ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 09:33 AM   #7
defaultuser83

Default I'm InTouch

You could also take a look at I'm InTouch for your Remote Access needs. I've been using it for a while with no complaints.

defaultuser83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008, 10:13 PM   #8
Softix

I came across this link while googling : http://www.pcsupportadvisor.com/best...s_software.htm

Its about Gotomypc . Supposedly the best remote access solution the writer has encountered. Might wanna check it out. Has a complete review of the same.

Softix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 04:02 PM   #9
smartsites

I like Mikogo.com and Crossloop.com

smartsites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 02:13 PM   #10
medec

We're all Mac here and the built in remote control app is fantastic. It even controls the few Linux servers here via VNC.

And we use Cisco routers for VPN connection.

medec is offline   Reply With Quote