Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Small Business Finance
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd July 2007, 03:06 AM   #1
kenwood

Default Investors Cash And Sweat

Hello,

I have a situation and I cannot figure out how to setup %'s for profits, appreciate approches you have seen used/pros & cons:

Starting up a company, will make and sell a product, 51% of the company goes to the founder, the other 49% will be split between
  • 4 cash investors who will do *no* work in the company but contribute 20k or more
  • 1 sweat equity investors who will do all the marketing, operations, accounting, etc), but will give *no* cash investment but has been put in charge of all operations/sales/marketing work in a VP role

Any ideas how to figure out a percentage for the one non cash investor? I have seen salary estimates used, e.g. VP makes 200,000 so it is as if the VP is putting in 200K, etc. Need to see if there are other methods.

(Looking at making the company and LLC with an agreement to the % for draw and exit clauses so if the co does well and someone bales, we can buy them out and continue. Don't want to deal with shares, payroll, etc. right now).

Thx in advance

kenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th July 2007, 08:12 AM   #2
Raise Capital
VIP Contributor

How much each person is putting in the company. I am doing a similar deal right now. I am putting in majority of the financing, but I am giving up shares for sweat equity. I decided to give 30% of the company up in sweat equity, and then splitting the rest between the people working in the company at the beginning.

Raise Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2007, 09:37 AM   #3
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

I think you need to start your thinking about questions like this with real numbers. E.g., figure out what the business may be worth best guess, worst case, best case, etc. Then, using those valuations, calculate what return on investment your cash investors are getting paid (as an annual ROI)... and calculate what salary your sweat equity guy is getting paid.

A couple of comments: Appropriate ROIs for venture deals are very high. I remember once talking with an older VC not long after I get out of business school with my MBA in finance. "Henry," I asked, "What annual return do VCs expect?"

He smiled and said, "Something unconscionable..."

Old 28th July 2007, 03:38 PM   #4
JGAviator

One system I saw recently looking like this (based on profits of the company):

15% to founders team(started the company)
25% to management team (sweat equity)
60% to investment team (capital)

One person could actually be a part of all 3 teams and would receive a nice compensation package. The %'s actually change once the investment team received their capital back and would look like this:

15% to founders team(started the company)
60% to management team (sweat equity)
25% to investment team (capital)

I know it seems like a lot to the management team, but without them constantly focusing on the bottom line, the whole pie would be smaller. Plus it allows for a key manager to step back a little bit after say 5 years with plenty of room for enticing a new manager to focus just as hard.

Old 30th July 2007, 11:27 AM   #5
Raise Capital
VIP Contributor

JG,

That was a smart way to lay everything out. Now, everyone involve has to agree to those terms. Kenwood, if you decide to do anything, make sure you have agreements done. There should be an exit plan for everyone involve.

Old 2nd August 2007, 10:41 PM   #6
kenwood

Wink thx guys

Great information from everyone, especially like the % change and its purpose, and yes we do need signed agreements

thanks again!

kenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:56 PM   #7
JGAviator

Raise Capital,

Does your system work for any type of business?

Thanks,
Jim

Old 12th August 2007, 10:38 AM   #8
Raise Capital
VIP Contributor

Its not mine, I am just part of the program. And, it does work for everyone.