Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Print Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th April 2005, 11:03 AM   #1
Linda
VIP Contributor

Default 5 Tips for HOT Yellow Pages Ads

The Yellow Pages aren't as popular as they used to be but for offline marketing they are still a great tool. Big Mike McDaniel has a quick article on tips to use in your ad.

"Remember, the Yellow Pages is generally a reference tool. People look for a name they recognize (or can't remember) or for a name given by a friend. Your ad should help them remember. The only other use of the Yellow Pages is to look for an emergency services. That's why you see lots of tow truck ads and no ads from Sears. Design your ad accordingly."

Catch it @ http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/ar...ng/001130.html

Have any of you used the yellow pages? How did it work?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th April 2005, 11:03 AM   #2
siryellow1

Default More Yellow Pages Help!

There's quite a bit more help for Yellow Pages
Advertisers (articles, resources, design stuff,
etc.) from several experts on the subject...

http://advertisinghelpdesk.com/yello...dvertising.htm

Some real good information there.

Hope it helps!

siryellow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2005, 06:36 PM   #3
siryellow1

Default I Must Respectfully Disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda

"Remember, the Yellow Pages is generally a reference tool. People look for a name they recognize (or can't remember) or for a name given by a friend. Your ad should help them remember. The only other use of the Yellow Pages is to look for an emergency services. That's why you see lots of tow truck ads and no ads from Sears. Design your ad accordingly."
Just re-read this quote above, and wanted to [respectfully] disagree...

Actually, most people who turn to the Yellow Pages have NO company in mind. The average prospect is not looking for a particular telephone number, they are looking for information that will help them to choose one company over another for a particular product or service need.

Emergency services are a popular search, but by no means "the only other" use. Restaurants for example continue to be one of the most referenced headings in the Yellow Pages. As do golf courses, lawn services, dentists, and a host of other businesses outside of the business realm.

When a person has no company in mine, the Yellow Pages is THE resource people turn to.

Happy Advertising...

siryellow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 01:06 AM   #4
fonewiz

Well, I don't agree with either of you entirely I don't think the Yellow Pages are useless and I don't think they are THE source..

I for one have been an extremely heavy Internet user since the mid 90's. I have personally had very little use for the Yellow Pages because I do all my searching on the web.

Thing is, I just placed an ad in two directories anyhow.. Why? Because I learned a long time ago that I can't run my business based on what I do and what my habits are day to day. Not everyone does everything like me..

For my business (Live Answering Services) I think most business owners think of an answering service as a local thing. What I mean is traditionally people forward their phones to an answering service and you need something that's a local call or it gets expensive. Of course, this doesn't matter with us because we give our customers a toll-free number. In any case, people think of this as a service they want to buy local. In my opinion, most small business owners would probably look int he Yellow Pages when searching for a local answering service, unless of course they breathe eat and sleep the Internet like me.

fonewiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 08:17 PM   #5
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

As a contractor/service provider I do very well with the Yellow Pages. My key has ben to approach the ad design from a customer benefits standpoint. I too disagree that someone is looking for my company per se but is seeking a solution to a problem (run down deck, moldy house, etc)

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 01:48 PM   #6
ruffneck119

I agree yellow pages have vastly different outcomes depending on what market you are in but I very positive that no matter what, if you do your YP ad not only different than your competitors and do it the right way you will see a good income source from it.

ruffneck119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2007, 10:13 PM   #7
adrevamp

We manage Yellow Page Advertising for clients all over the US. While we constantly hear business owners who have had some success with online adverting preach the future death of the Yellow Pages, it's hard for us to imagine a 14 billion dollar a year industry vanishing overnight. It's also worth noting that as more businesses migrate to online advertising, the competition goes up, and ROI goes down, making adverting in both mediums (online and Yellow Pages) the obvious answer.

fonewiz is also right on the money with the comment "I can't run my business based on what I do and what my habits are day to day. Not everyone does everything like me.." Very true!

When consulting clients interested in moving a portion of their advertising budgets into the online realm, we always surveying their local markets before we determine the right Yellow Page to online mix. One of the benefits of the Internet is the ability to see if you are in a market where people are turning to the computer first and letting those Yellow Page directories collect dust in the kitchen drawer. If the search market is not there it's probably not the best idea to dump your Yellow Page advertising.

Last edited by adrevamp; 1st September 2007 at 10:16 PM. Reason: fix my typos :)
adrevamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2007, 10:08 AM   #8
Logan
Administrator

Welcome aboard Adam

Quote:
see if you are in a market where people are turning to the computer first and letting those Yellow Page directories collect dust in the kitchen drawer. If the search market is not there it's probably not the best idea to dump your Yellow Page advertising.
I agree, and over the years have the impression that the small/medium city markets are typically the ones where the yellow pages remain important while it is the largest metro cities where they are less important. Of course if you are running yp ads you should have a good feel for if it is working, but if considering a new area for yp - consider if the town/city is small/medium/large. If the town is small or medium are yellow pages more important?

I also agree regarding some of the contrary experiences with 'what they are looking for' ... and personally I wouldn't be so quick to ditch the extra cost of color as mentioned in the article. I've had some success with single color simple ads. Ads are printed in order of size/how long been advertising. If you are new to the book, consider the size and location of where your ad will be placed. As with any marketing, consider where your ad is going to be placed versus others.

Old 12th September 2007, 11:53 PM   #9
theevans716

I like what was said about advertising in both online and the yellow pages. I believe it may really depend on your business though. I mean if someone is looking for a doctor then they are going to look in the yellow pages. But if someone is looking for a webmaster they look online.

theevans716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 09:03 AM   #10
Bob Beckmann

Default Yellow Page Users

According to a survey done by Knowledge Networks and commissioned by the Yellow Pages Association, 54% of yellow page users are looking for a specific business, i.e. they already knew the name of the business, just wanted the telephone number; and 46% had no specific business in mind.

Some indivual category specifics:

Air Conditioning: 50% did 50% didn't
Attorneys 59% did 41% didn't
Auto Repair 60% did 40% didn't
Beauty Salons 65% did 35% didn't
Carpet Cleaning 57% did 43% didn't
Dentists 70% did 30% didn't
Electricians 22% did 78% didn't
Hardware 63% did 37% didn't
Insurance 68% did 32% didn't
Motels 45% did 55% didn't
Physicians 77% did 23% didn't
Pizza 73% did 27% didn't
Plumbers 45% did 55% didn't

Also, a recent report from the Kelsey Group shows that over 60% of shoppers now use Search Engines and on-line yellow pages and only 33% use the actual printed book.

By the way, I have been in the yellow page industry since 1985.

Bob Beckmann

Bob Beckmann is offline   Reply With Quote