Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Domain Names
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th August 2005, 02:38 AM   #1
lydia

Default Recommended domain name seller?

Anyone can recommend me domain name company? I thought of buying domain name, but not sure which to go for. Anyone has any good and bad experience to share with? urmm... comment on services, and prices are welcome here

lydia is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th August 2005, 08:25 AM   #2
pete
VIP Contributor

www.godaddy.com

I've never seen anything negative about them, but they are recommended more than all others combined.

They will try and sell you other services, you're on your own there. But for just purchasing a domain name they are at the top of the list.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2005, 01:19 PM   #3
CyberSEAL

I like OpenSRS the best.

CyberSEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2005, 04:25 PM   #4
Bno1manager

Default I could use some advice regarding .com vs. .net

I could use some advice about the impact on companies that do not own their company domaine name with .com

I purchased a business that started out at <url removed>.

The owner of the domaine name and I had a website toghther. When I bought her out, it did not include the ownership of .com

I have only a licensing agreement to use the website at .com

Since then, I had to distance myself from <url removed> because of legal liability and fraud committed by her, the owner of website. She then intentionally disabled the website to frustrate my ability to provide services to my contracted clients after I notified her of my intent to sue . She left only one page up telling everyone to call her directly with only her phone number and email address. All contact to me was disabled.

I was then forced to purchase domaine name <url removed> In order to continue to provide services to my contracted restaurant clients.

I have many clients who continue to go to .com out of habit, in addition people just naturally type in .com, not .net

I am frustrated and want to know if there is anyone who can qualify the impact on my business forced to use same business name going from .com to .net
In addition, to leaving .com website active continues to draw business away from my .net

Any advice or expertise would be appreciated. My attorney is not appreciating the impact on lost business this is creating. Any written Articles, some authorities or anything would be helpful.

I know it is having a negative impact but I have to prove it. Help please.

Bno1manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2005, 06:17 PM   #5
mapbooks4u
VIP Contributor

Bno!manager,

First let me say I feel so bad for your woes. I think it would be wise to change the links in your post because you are giving her free IBLs and advertising. Second I think you should go to www.godaddy.com and purchase the url www.restaurantrep.com and then forward it to your .net website. You can not believe how many people will forget to put in the "s" after rep and will therefore get your website not hers. Hope this helps.

Old 6th August 2005, 11:12 PM   #6
Bno1manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbooks4u
Bno!manager,

First let me say I feel so bad for your woes. I think it would be wise to change the links in your post because you are giving her free IBLs and advertising. Second I think you should go to www.godaddy.com and purchase the url www.restaurantrep.com and then forward it to your .net website. You can not believe how many people will forget to put in the "s" after rep and will therefore get your website not hers. Hope this helps.
Thank you. I am going to do exactly as you stated. I have already experienced others forgetting the "s". Thanks for your advice. In regards to links in my posts. I'm so grateful that I am doing well under the "business circumstances" that I would rather run the risk of advertizing what she has done with a link to her site. To establish credibility of my issue and situation and hopefully qualified advice as yours. Thank you again.

Last edited by Bno1manager; 6th August 2005 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12th August 2005, 08:20 AM   #7
Bno1manager

Default Accurate Domaines

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydia
Anyone can recommend me domain name company? I thought of buying domain name, but not sure which to go for. Anyone has any good and bad experience to share with? urmm... comment on services, and prices are welcome here
I have done some research on this subject. I utilized a company called Accurate Domaines to appraise the value on a domaine name. I thought their services were very cool! I learned that 8 characters or less is premium. I had no idea this was the case. Accurate Domaines services come highly recommended by me. They were fast, efficient and reasonably priced.
Here is a sample of their work.

Each category is given a rating of 1-10 with 10 being the best.

Commercial use 6/10

Brand recognition 6/10

Length of domain 5/10

Dot value 10/10

Minimum Value $3,900

Maximum Value $5,000

Below is an explanation of our 4 categories.

Commercial Use What kind of industry can this name be used for? Can this name be built into a commercial web site?
Brand Recognition Is the name easily recognizable? How easy will it be to build brand recognition for this name?
Name Length How long is the name? In nearly every case, a shorter domain name is preferable.
Dot Value - What is the ending segment of the name? Does it end in .com, .net, .cc, or a different ending?
Minimum Value is the lowest price the domain should sell for.

Maximum Value is the highest price the domain should sale for.

*Domains may very easily sell for higher than the Maximum Value if two people or companies both want to purchase the domain.

Old 12th August 2005, 01:21 PM   #8
Cedara

My domain name was bought thru Godaddy and I have had no problems with them at all. It was quite simple and very fast for me.
My full business name (due to Nova Scotia law is way too huge!LOL) and I was able to get a nice shortened version as my domain.

Cedara

Cedara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2005, 04:04 PM   #9
freelancemom

I've been a loyal customer to GoDaddy for years. I'm totally satisfied with their service, prices and customer support.

Lori

freelancemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2005, 09:16 PM   #10
mktgbiz

Ditto what freelancemom said

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote